1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi There!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by AKTodd, Feb 9, 2013.

1. AKTodd

Came across EC while wandering the interwebs (they're like tubes, you know) and after reading off and on for the last couple of weeks decided to join. Y'all seem like a nice bunch here.

Greetings here seem to run from "Hi" to a short bio. Since I certainly love the sound of my own fingers on a keyboard, figure I'll go for the latter:

Born and raised in the wilds of Alaska (we weren't in the middle of nowhere, but you can see if from my house). Had an...interesting...childhood during which I discovered I hate snow. Went to college at University of Arizona in Tucson (Go Wildcats! - Really, they take your diploma away if you don't say that every time) to get away from the snow. After various adventures, including realizing I was gay and coming out to all and sundry (which were actually some of the least stressful experiences in my life), I ended up moving to the Tidewater area of Virginia. Shortly thereafter, I met my partner of 16yrs and we've been here ever since (along with various animals - currently two very opinionated Samoyeds and a very VERY opinionated parrot).

I spend a lot of time online, mostly moderating and contributing to another online group which I won't name here. The rest of the time I'm reading, working out, or listening to music (I don't listen to rap. Almost anything else is a possibility depending on my mood, but most of my music would probably be classified as rock or metal). Oh yeah, and working (pesky need to make a living!).

Anyway, hopefully this hasn't run on too long and looking forward to contributing to the conversation where and when I can.

Cheers!

2. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

Welcome to EC

I BEG YOU POST PICTURES OF YOUR PETS they look so adorable *faints*.

edit:16 years! amazing :O

3. soc2cergir3l

Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC!!!

4. DeanIsHome

Welcome to EC, it's understandable how you're raised in Alaska and hate snow you must be tired of it, I'm from Seattle and I HATE rain.

5. Minx

Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome to EC!!

7. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Welcome to EC!

8. Ticklish Fish

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Hello, welcome!

10. Welcome to EC! :smilewave

11. FunnyMonkey

Hello and Welcome to EC!!

12. TheSeeker

Welcome aboard! I second the idea that you must post pictures of your pets! I can't have pets because my line of work moves me around too much, but I am a sucker for Samoyeds...

13. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

Wow 16 years? That's awesome :slight_smile: great for you guys! :welcome: to EC!!

14. welcome to ec(*hug*)

15. aspiecarer

Hi and welcome.
    Love your dogs...

16. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :welcome: to EC

17. AKTodd

OP here

Thanks for all the kind greetings all:slight_smile:

Per request, I've uploaded some pictures of the dogs to the album section. Being new, I gather a moderator will need to approve them before they show up, but I'm assuming that normally happens pretty quickly or else I'll be getting a message telling me otherwise. I gather I should post something to the album update thread when that happens...

Re: being tired of snow - Yup, that was certainly part of it, although a bigger part was being tired of shoveling snow. In the dark (cause the days are only 4hrs long during part of the winter and this was usually after school), in 40 below 0 temps, on weekends, etc. When I wasn't shoveling snow, it was shoveling coal, or digging ditches for drainage when the snow melted in the spring, or digging fenceposts, or whatever. For variety (and because we sorta/kinda had a farm) I got to shovel out the barns. In the winter this usually involved a pickaxe and crowbar. Hoo-raa!

Anyway, thanks again for the greetings and I'm sure we'll be talking more as time goes on.

Thx!

Todd:slight_smile:

18. nevashiva

nevashiva Guest

Tasha's eyes are sooo pretty :slight_smile:! (obv they are both so cute) tks for sharing, I feel bad for the parrot being alone tho...

19. AKTodd

No worries:slight_smile: The little green guy gets lots of attention as well. Just not from me. He's very much my partners bird. His favorite thing is to either sit on my partner's knee or to get on the floor and try to crawl under the couch. We have boards set up to stop him from doing that, but he keeps chewing through them:slight_smile:

Being a parrot he's convinced he's 10ft tall and bulletproof.

Todd