1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey from Brazil!!!!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Danielbrazil, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Danielbrazil

Danielbrazil Guest

Hi everyone!!!!
    Brazil is a big country and I live in the southern... It's a beautiful place, with cold winter and a charming countryside (yes, summer is like being in a greenhouse, but we have beachs... ). Here is different from Rio de Janeiro, it means that I don't know "sambar" ...I live in a big city (about 1,5 million people)...
    My name is Daniel and I'm 24. Unfortunately I don't have a good tan because I'm white :tears:
    This year I'll finish my Undergraduate in History and I'll apply to a Master degree... I came out of the closet last year. It was an intense experience but my family accepted me very well. I really like to meet new people and chat with them... So I hope to chat and make new friends here...
    ":stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:...

2. aspiecarer

Hello and welcome ,Daniel.
    So, is Brazil gonna win the next football worldcup then?,lol

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Hello, and welcome!
    Brazil seems cool. Plus my favourite football team is Brazil! I can't wait for FIFA next year.

And congrats on coming out!

4. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :welcome: to EC (*hug*)

5. Minx

Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

6. Danielbrazil

Danielbrazil Guest

Hi... Thanks to everyone! :grin: :grin:
    Yes, next year we'll have the Football World Cup... People are anxious about it!!! My city is one of the host cities... I still have no guess about the winner... Maybe Italy? (I'm bad about football issues, I'm sorry :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) The Brazilian national team is not going very well...Too many stars, too little action and football...

7. Just Jess

Oh wow hi! Brazil is somewhere I've been trying to learn more about because I hear you guys have a huge computer, radio and satellite culture in some places. I don't know if you are but I've always been into that stuff.

I'm gonna take a risk but is desenrascanço a thing there? I don't know very much Portuguese but that's pretty much my favorite word.

Welcome to EC!

8. Danielbrazil

Danielbrazil Guest

Hi!!!!!!:lol:

What do you exactly mean by that?

I like your word in Portuguese :grin:
    But I can't understand it... Do you know what does it mean in English? If it means resourcefulness then the word will be "desembaraço"....It's a big word...
    Do you know other words in Portuguese?

Hugs (abraços in Portuguese)

9. Just Jess

I think in English it's literally "disentanglement" but I was told it meant something closer to resourcefulness. Thanks though! For an English speaker like me would that sound kinda like "dis sem bar hahs"?

Sorry everything I learn is really heavily filtered through the internet so I'm not surprised I got stuff wrong. I guess it's a word I was told has special meaning at universities in Portugal and I thought I'd ask if it was the same in Brazil.

And I'm here to learn how to take more risks anyway so I thought I'd ask.

But with the computer stuff I was learning about places like the House of Digital Culture in Sao Paulo. I'd heard of these things called "hacker busses" down there a few years ago but looking at it now just in google I guess it was a politics thing. Like I said it's hard to find stuff out over the internet.

Abraços to you too!

#10 Just Jess, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  10. Phil

Phil Guest

Welcome Daniel, one more brazilian! \0/
    Bem Vindo, mais um brasileiro! \0/

11. derrik

DanielBrazil

Glad you found this site and hope you learn alot from it and we learn alot from you

I know Brazil more advanced than USA in automobile - many cars run on alcohol - much less expensive than USA gasoline

12. Danielbrazil

Danielbrazil Guest

Hey Cassie,
    You're not wrong about the word....desembaraço (resourcefulness) and desenredamento (disentanglement) are synonymous in a figurative way... Disentanglement (desenredamento) also means "enlightened"... But I've never heard these words in my college... I think they must be more used in Portugal than in Brazil...
    I'm a History student so I don't understand much about computer stuffs... But feel free to ask everything you want about Brazil... If I know the answer I'll try to write.... :grin:

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2013 at 07:40 PM ----------

Hi Phil,
    Thanks!
    I'm glad to see a brazilian here.... You live in a beautiful place!!!!! Have you seen the Carnaval in the Sapucai?

Abraço!

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2013 at 07:50 PM ----------

Hey Derrick!
    Thanks... Yes, I want to learn a lot here and practice my English as well!
    In Brazil there are a lot of cars running on alcohol... It's very common. Compared with gasoline, alcohol is cheaper and less polluting. I guess nearly all cars now manufactured in Brazil have flex engine, which can run on both gasoline as with alcohol. Nevertheless, we have serious problems of road structure, which become increasingly disturbing with increasing vehicle fleet due to consumption incentives by the government

Hugs!

13. Phil

Phil Guest

I didn't, i really don't like carnival hahaha. I only enjoy the free time. XD

14. Danielbrazil

Danielbrazil Guest

hehehhe.... That's my case too... Carnaval is not for me... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Welcome Danielbrazil :slight_smile:

16. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Daniel and welcome to EC! :smilewave

My ex boyfriend was from Belo Horizonte and he had blond hair from what I can tell Brazil has a pretty mixed ethnic background.

17. All Star

All Star Guest

Brazil baby!!!! Lol, I'm part Brazilian, so I like you already! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :slight_smile: Welcome to EC!

18. Danielbrazil

Danielbrazil Guest

Hi Gerry!
    the first gay guy I've met was from BH as well... I have a great friend from Belo Horizonte... It's a very nice city!Yes, Brazil is totally mixed... My family is of German, Spanish and Portuguese ancestry! It's Crazy! I have cousins ​​with blond hair, red hair and brown hair!
    ;D

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2013 at 11:17 AM ----------

Hey All star! Thanks! Nice to meet a part Brazilian guy here! I have a friend from Bishop, Texas... Do you speak Portuguese?