1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by mnguy, Nov 12, 2006.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey,
    I've alredy posted two times so thought I should introduce myself. I'm not good at keeping up with these forums so my presence here my be spotty at best, but who knows. I've been here a few times prior to today and from what I've read, a lot of the members are considerably younger than I am at 31. I wish there had been such a resource like this when I was in high school, but alas, the internet didn't exist as it does now. Imagine that! This site may not have been much help to me, however, since I didn't fully realize that I was gay until after college. Things would have made sense a lot sooner if someone had only told me what being gay really meant. I was (am?) naive, what can I say? Oh well...

So anyway, I live and work in the Twin Cities area of MN. I'm a MN Gopher fan and I graduated from the U of M. I'm not really out to anyone although I don't pretend to be straight; I guess people just assume what they want or they don't want to know. I think it's really great that people are feeling more confident coming out at a younger age. I think sites like this can be a great resource for information and encouragement. I find it very frustrating, but I've never known anyone who has been open about being gay, although I'm sure by now I must have known someone and just didn't realize it. I think as more good people are willing to come out, it can only help make it easier for others to follow and will show the world that we are just regular everyday people like most straight people are.

I am really amazed by the courage that many of you who are half my age have displayed by facing your fears and coming out to the world! I'm also absolutely apalled and saddened by the stories of people who think it's ok to put down and/or threaten someone for being GLBT, especially a person's own family.

Ok, so I look forward to reading and posting from time to time. Best wishes to all.

2. step49x

Hello, and welcome!

I do agree that this place can be great sometimes. Especially when you have something that's been bothering you; you can come and post it, and see what other people have to say about it. It's also a nice place to rant, especially if you don't have anyone you feel comfortable ranting about this kind of stuff to. Venting is nice.

After reading your post, it kind of makes me wonder how many gay people I'll run into after college. It seems like if you don't go searching around, you're not going to run into openly gay people in everyday life. College (and school in general) can be nice, because you really get to know a large number of people (and statistically, they're not all straight.. :wink: ).

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey step49x, I see you're from MI so if you're a Wolverines fan then we can't talk! Just kidding, but they always beat up on my poor Gophers. At least I finally got to see MN beat MI last year, at the Big House no less.

I've been at my current job for almost seven years and a lot of people have moved in and out of my group and it's ridiculous that by now not one has been gay. There have been a few, however, who I seriously wonder about, but they got married so I guess... But you're absolutely right, I don't search much and that certainly limits the possibilities. I just wish I figured it all out sooner, but I guess I wasn't ready for it and maybe I'd be worse off now. Who knows?

So what college do you attend?

4. step49x

No, I'm not a Wolverine fan (my family actually roots for the Spartans). Myself, whenever I go to football games (which is rare), I usually wander over to the band and start talking to them.

Who knows? Neither you or I, that's for sure. It's fun to speculate, just don't spend too much time thinking about the past. You've got the present to worry about, after all! :wink:

I'm currently at Hope College, a small liberal arts college. Besides not having a GSA officially recognized by the college, I'm liking it a lot.

Kind of off topic, but tomorrow, the Gay-Straight discussion group I'm a part of is having a female minister come in and talk about her views on faith and sexuality. I'm kind of excited, just because I'm curious what it's going to be like.

5. cyclopsrock

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yay wolverines!!! at least you didnt go to Ohio State mnguy.
    (i only root for them because my family does. i'm not gonna pretend to actually understand sports.)

6. nisomer

hey im from Eagan!