1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi! :)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by davmnd, Apr 8, 2013.

1. davmnd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there! I'm a 20 year old Spanish guy who is facing the challenge of coming out right now. I've came out to some close friends at college and to my sister and I'm now facing the challenge of coming out to the rest of my close family and to some friends at my hometown, which is a lit scary because it is an small conservative village and people tend to be a little bit small minded, if it is okay to say it that way. I'm hoping to have a good time here and to receive a good advise from you guys, and in exchange I promise to give my advise to other people once I went through all this :grin:

Now a little bit about myself. Right now I'm a college student doing a degree in mathematics, and loving it! Some other stuff I love: traveling, reading, watching some good movies or some great TV shows and listening to music. What would life be without music. I also love hanging out with friends a lot, specially with my college group, since they are the only group I'm really open to :wink:

Now, I'm hoping that you'll forget my spelling and gramatical mistakes since English is not my first nor my second but my third language (two languages are spoken in my area), but I promise I'll try to write the best way I can. If you can forgive me that I think we can share some great experiences together :slight_smile:

2. Xochipilli

Well you sound like a well-rounded guy! And you're from Spain! It's on my list of places to visit!
    As for coming out, you're already putting yourself out there so I think the rest should come naturally. There's no rush is there?

Bienvenido a EC!

#2 Xochipilli, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi davmnd :welcome: to EC :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi! Good luck with the coming out.
    Don't worry about spelling and such.

5. davmnd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you everybody :slight_smile:

Well, if you ever come to Spain feel free to ask whatever you want to know. I've not traveled a lot around Spain though I've seen some places like Barcelona, Madrid and quite a lot of the north and north-west area, but I'll try to help you whichever way I can! :grin: ¡Y gracias!

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome to EC!!

7. JPC

JPC Guest

Welcome to EC :welcome:

I am amazed by how open minded and relaxed the Spanish are about being gay. I live in Sevilla and I see so many gay couples walking down the street holding hands, I never ever saw that at home.

Good luck with your family! And your English is great by the way, most of my Spanish friends (some of them are even doing English degrees) don't have as high a level as you do.

8. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hehe, I'm also a college student and a math major. It's funn shtuff, no? I think you'll like it here at EC!

9. campervankid

Hi and Welcome :slight_smile:

10. davmnd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, that actually varies between regions. From what I've heard they are more open minded towards sex in the southern area of Spain, but it's not like that here in the north. It's not like homosexuality is not tolerated, but people tend to be a little reserved about their sentimental life, both straight and gay. So while I feel confortable and supported by the people surrounding me, I don't see any gay couples showing that kind of affection in public, and it's also quite limited on straight couples too. But it's true that Spain is among some of the most open-minded countries for that matter. A quick look at public surveis lets you find out more than half of the population support gay marriage and even child adoption among homosexual couples, which is weird even among some of the most progressist European countries, excluding the Benelux and nordic countries, of course. I really hope it just evolves this way elsewhere :grin:

Thank you all for this warm welcome!

#10 davmnd, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  11. ems

ems

Hello and welcome

12. Xochipilli

Will do! :icon_mrgr
    Madrid and Barcelona are what I was interested in anyway. So what is the other language you speak besides Spanish?

13. davmnd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Galician. And it's actually my mother tongue and the language I use the mos.t It's spoken in the north-west of Spain in the region called Galicia by around 3 000 000 people. Not widely used, but it covers my needs anyway :grin:

14. Xochipilli

That was my guess! :slight_smile:
    Galician came up in a Spanish Literature course I took in high school.
    Seems like a neat language!

15. lawRAWR

Heya ! Welcome :slight_smile: