1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks EC

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Red and Blue, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Guest

Hello EC!

I can't tell you all how helpful I have found this site. For the past few months I have been reading through page after page of the forum. Without EC and the support of some new friends of mine I think I would still be hiding from myself. That's what brings me here today. After 23 years, I have finally figured out that I'm gay. Let me give you a little background.

I am from a very small town in Maine and needless to say there was not a large LGBT community. The first time I got out of my home town was with the Army where you may be surprised to hear also didn't have a open and accepting nature towards homosexuals. So for most of my life I was barely aware that being gay was even a thing. All I knew was that I was rarely attracted to women. I still find them beautiful but I never felt a spark or a feeling of excitement, even when sleeping with them. I figured that was due to not meeting the right one.

During my time in the Army a fellow soldier came out to me. It was a complete shock as my "gaydar" is nonexistent. I found I couldn't stop thinking about him afterwards. I found my heart would race when ever we talked. While on tour in Afghanistan I gathered the courage to explain my feelings and he said he felt the same towards me. We decided that we would try a few things when we could find some time alone. But before that could happen some people found out he was gay and outed him to the entire base. I was so frightened of being ostracized like he was that I blocked any notion of being gay out of my mind.

Now here I am a couple years latter, out of the Army and in the Air Force where they can be a bit more accepting. That and with Don't Ask Don't Tell gone it is easier to find other gay people. At my new base I was able to meet and become good friends with some lesbians. They have been great at listening to me and helping me explore my thoughts and feelings. With their help, EC, and a trip to Pride weekend in Pensacola, I was able to finally accept my attraction to men. I am going to be needing some help in the near future so I thought I would turn to the website that has already been so helpful.

Sorry this was so long but I have been quiet for so long it felt good to open up.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC Red and Blue!

Your story is amazing, good for you for taking this step, you will find great friends here. Post often, pour your heart out, and just enjoy the ride!

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and Welcome to EC!!

4. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Welcome!!! Nice to know your story :grin:

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Red and Blue :welcome: to EC :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

6. FemCasanova

Welcome to EC, and thank you for sharing your story :slight_smile: It`s always nice to read something up-lifting and positive on an early Monday morning!

7. castle walls

Welcome to EC! Thanks so much for serving our country! It was great to read your story

8. KnownSecret

:welcome: to EC Red and Blue!! Glad to hear your story!!

9. Rexmond

Hello, and welcome to Empty Closets! :welcome:

10. BadCanadaJoke

Hey and welcome to EC! Best website around! :slight_smile:

11. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Red and Blue--

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so happy for you that you have found a welcoming and helpful community. EC is the same way. People here are great, and in the short time I've been here, this site has changed my life-no exaggeration.

Glad you're here. I look forward to reading your posts.

--Zoe

12. Candace

Hello! and welcome to EC :slight_smile: