1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online dating websites?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Myhipsdolie, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Myhipsdolie

What do you guys think about online dating?

Do you think it's socially acceptable where you live?
    Do you approve?
    Have you ever engaged in it?
    Any experiences you care to share that you had to do with online dating websites?

:goodevil:

I only ask because I was talking about it with a few friends of mine and they totally don't approve of it, but I think I would give it a go! :eusa_doh:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an online dating profile...I don't see anything wrong with it, I mean it's no different than going out to a club or a bar and trying to come home with someone ... well it IS different obviously but you know what I mean...

Personally I don't find it that useful but then I realise most people are trawling for better pictures than I am able to provide so...

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have an online dating profile as well I think of it as me having a better chance of meeting women that are lesbian and bisexual on there because I have low chance of finding them in real life

4. Thedistra

I find it okay. I don't have a profile on any, but I may in the future. My family would probably find it strange expect for my dad. Everyone else in the area not a clue.

I often imagine meeting someone through World of Warcraft or another online game.

5. setnyx

i have a profile on a dating site also. it seems to be more and more main stream. i had a relationship, a few friendships and a few women just looking to get into cyber sex. NOT my thing.

6. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I have not used online dating but I did want to point out that it is against ec's rules to post the name of any online dating websites

7. QueerQueen

I tried a couple of them in the past, I ended up dating a girl from one of them for a little bit. She lived in another city, but we skyped, texted and talked over the phone, never actually met her even though I went to her city to visit family, still have her on fb lol. The relationship was kind of doomed from the start, I still had feelings for my ex girlfriend and badly wanted to get over her or distract myself. I met a couple of people too and went on dates, but wasn't really interested in the end.

I wouldn't do it again, because in the city I live now it's not that hard to find other LGBT people, most of my friends are bi. Plus I already have my heart set on someone. I do approve of it, but one of my friends said she saw me on one at some point and I got embarrassed haha.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

No Yes No Don't have any

I'll try it someday but for now I'm a bit too insecure still

9. Julieno

I do have an online dating profile. I know of loads of people who have and we talk freely about it. I have also spoken about hthis with people who didn't have one and no one seemed to dislike the idea, so i guess it it pretty much a common thing now.

I used to use it a lot though now I don't use it that much since I joined the uni LGBT* society and I participate in some LGBT* friendly activities (So I got to know loads of people in real life, which makes dating easier). Anyway I still have it and check it now and then since I got some friends and relationships from there.

In my case the relationships didn't end up being long term (Well i guess you could call a couple of months kind of long term) due to different circumstan I found great people. I may still be in a relationship with one of the guys if it wasn't for the fact that we left for uni in different cities.

But if you assk me, i think you need to be cery careful, follow certain rules and say no to anyone who seems suspicious if you want to get something out of it.

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met my boyfriend over skype. We've been talking plans of marriage, location, kids, all that fun stuff. We've been in a relationship for a little over a year now :slight_smile:

Honestly, it's like any other relationship. The only difference is that you're a bit further apart from each other.

And before you talk to me about states, I live in Chicago and he lives in Belfast. Yes, that Belfast.

11. Julieno

Oh, well I try to only meet people (online) that Are close enough to have real dates if we click. So i may have misunderstood the title od the topic :s

I am not sure I would like a purely online relationship. Seem quite difficult and even painful to me !

12. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea I've used online dating for a few months. Yet to be that successful but I'm going to keep trying.

13. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you're extra vigilant. It's totally approved of where I live, in fact... It's so hard to meet people here, pretty much everyone uses them. Due to living in a city where the only gay bar is due to get closed down in the coming months and turned into a 'straight sports bar' exclusively for straight people. Not sure how that's going to go down.

I actually met my boyfriend on a dating website!

14. CandyCutes

Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually don't think It's a bad idea. It just makes me feel like I'm pressuring myself to find someone to date o~o

15. I'd be up for trying it if I were braver. I'm just so paranoid that someone I know will see my profile and out me.

16. Myhipsdolie

Yes! That's my problem. I have a huge fear of that happening so I'm scared to make a profile on one of them haha:tears:

17. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see any problems with online dating, but it just doesn't seem like it's for me. I want to be able to meet someone in real life. Maybe if my situation was different I'd use one later on, like if I didn't know anybody else who was LGBT. But honestly, even now, that's not really a problem. But as for others using it, fine by me.

18. nicecoolguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is acceptable where I am. Plenty of people in my area do it, even some people that I know. I do approve, and have done some online dating myself. Actually, it's the only way I've met dates these days. Romantically, I'm drawn to women, so that's whom I've contacted. It gets old though when it feels like I'm doing everything right and yet barely a bite. Most of the time, just trying to get a response is like pulling teeth. It's sad because I see women all the time complaining about the kinds of guys who contact them, and I know that I'm the exact opposite of that, yet it makes a negligible difference. After another recent round of online dating (just cancelled 2/3 accounts, the other soon), I've decided that I would strongly prefer to meet women offline for once, where I know that I'll at least receive some kind of attention due to my classy approach, even if it leads absolutely nowhere.

19. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm on one and it's been completely useless :bang: