1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do dreams mean anything in terms of sexuality or attraction?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alder, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you dream that you enjoy something (eg a sexual act or attraction) does it mean anything in real life or is it just a dream?

I have this bad habit of thinking things over too much, but basically last night I dreamed that I was watching a man and a woman make out and sort of 'projecting' myself into both of their places. I enjoyed making out with the man (in my dream) more and I got turned on by it, but with the woman I barely felt anything. However in the dream I did want to get closer to her physically and not as much to him.

Even in my dream I was trying to explain things to myself, because I've never wanted to make out with any guy I know in real life, yet I've wanted to kiss girls before. My dream self concluded that what it meant was that I don't mind kissing guys but I wouldn't want to go any further.

I woke up pretty confused about it all.

This was just a one time thing, but I was wondering if dreams can ever indicate something. I know some people dream about things they would never want to do in real life, and most of the time it means nothing, but other times I've been told dreams could tell you something. Thoughts?

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

It depends.

Try to think of a similar situation in real life. Would you enjoy making out with a male in real life? How about a girl?

3. Ridiculous

There is no evidence dreams have any tangible meaning whatsoever.

They can, however, get you to think of things and situations you otherwise wouldn't think of. But you need to base your feelings on how you feel when you are consciously thinking about it, not what you unconsciously dream about. If you don't like the idea in real life, then obviously you should base your sexuality on that rather than a single random dream.

4. Mrcake

I had a similar thread like this before. I think that dreams do mean something. They are a link to our subconscious mind, and they can show our deep desires. Dreams can be weird and hard to decipher, but I think that they can tell you something about yourself. You may find it weird to think that you like women, but you may feel some attraction for men. I think that your dream may be telling you that you could feel some attraction towards a man, but you want to have an attraction for that woman. If you keep getting dreams like this, then that probably means you like women. You could like both sexes too.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You could look up the meaning of your dream figures in a dream symbol dictionary.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From what I've read, dreams are often ways for our minds to try out scenarios that are in our lives. Our mind tries to make sense of random thoughts that pop up, sometimes subconscious thoughts like some recent stressor or challenge, while our bodies become paralyzed to avoid real harm (this aspect is broken in sleepwalkers). There's some interesting research that other animals like cats also dream in similar ways (I think they used some type of drugs to make the cats sleepwalk and see what it was thinking about).

7. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far :slight_smile:

I don't think I'm entirely unattracted to men so that makes sense; but I do find myself wanting to be with women more and more and less with men, the more I sort of explore it the more I realize- I guess that's what it may mean as well?

I don't have any reason why I would want so badly for that attraction for women to be there and proven and validated to myself-even subconsciously-unless I genuinely do feel that attraction.

I've had dreams about various people before, and although it was never exclusive to any gender it became more and more pointing to the direction of women as time went on and I got older. Though that may be because I was consciously in my waking hours realizing more and more in terms of what I wanted, who knows :lol:

That makes sense too-I've had my fair share of weird dreams before and I know of people who dream of things they would never do in real life. Hm. Interesting to think about though.

Anyone else have thoughts about what these things might mean or do they mean anything at all?

#7 Alder, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  8. White Knight

I can't say anything. As long as I can remember my sexual or romantic dreams usually consist another male.

I remember when I was young my friend told me his first wet dream and how that women felt so real. I couldn't say I dreamed about him recently and it felt real as well. :grin:

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/
    only parts of the contents are given, meaning there are other interpretations possible.

Woman
    To see a woman in your dream represents nurturance, passivity, caring nature, and love. It refers to your own female aspects

sex
    ... refers to the integration and merging of contrasting aspects of yourself. It represents psychological completion. You need to be more receptive and incorporate aspects of your dream sex partner into your own character. Consider the nature of the love-making. Was it passionate?...
    The sex act parallels aspects of yourself that you wish to express.

To see a man in your dream denotes the aspect of yourself that is assertive, rational, aggressive, and/or competitive. Perhaps you need to incorporate these aspects into your own character.

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexual-romantic-orientation/155578-dreams.html#4

If dreams would mean absolutely nothing there would not be scores of people putting together dream dictionarys.

#10 jay777, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  10. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you! The information was pretty helpful. I guess no one really knows for certain; dreams are funny that way. But thanks to everyone who replied! Some useful insight :slight_smile: (*hug*)

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had a dream where I was enjoying sex with men,and I'm still lesbian.
    I say no

12. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What is your opinion on the posting above yours ? :slight_smile:

Which has nothing to do with your sexual orientation...

13. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it depends. The dreams are projections of what you think about in your subconscious (which aren't always literal), so if you're thinking about kissing a man, it could mean many different things, but all that is certain is that men are on your mind. All the dream means is that you're thinking about men subconsciously, but whether it's telling you that you have attraction to them or not, the dream can't tell you that.

14. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its not, your subconscious works in pictures. It might be just a symbol.
    It might mean things like activity, etc.

15. Snever2late

This is interesting to me, as most sexual dreams I've had ever sense puberty have started out with a man as the subject but as soon as I touch them in my dream, the man is no longer a man but a woman. I've been with several men sexually and never enjoyed sex but just recently had my first experience with a woman and it was amazing and opened my eyes to the fact tht I prefer women sexually (and romantically). I thought of all those dreams and wondered if it was my subconscious telling me that all along.

16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't think it always does, I mean I've had dreams where I had sex with family members and I woke up being all 'gross, why would I think that?!' I think the subconscious mind is weird sometimes

17. Candace

Probably not...

18. TheStormInside

I often have what a former roommate termed "obvious metaphor" dreams. I recently had a dream where I was getting married to this guy, and freaking out, and contemplating climbing out the window to run away, and trying to decide if I should tell people I was calling the wedding off, or if I should just take off without a word. I ended up being confronted by my father, who said "It's because you're gay, isn't it?!" and my mother, who was upset, unhappy, but understanding. They let me past them and I tried to get away but the groom's family tried to catch me in some kind of netting saying they needed to "save me" from the devil. Fortunately one of them let me go, though, and I was off!

To me, this is an "obvious metaphor" for my anxieties about coming out to family, which I know I have had in abundance.

Thing is, sometimes I also get dreams where I'm climbing around weird architecture, or searching for my cat, or I've adopted a crocodile or something. And I don't have any plans to adopt a crocodile anytime soon, that's for sure.

My point being, only you can determine if what your dream "told" you is meaningful or not. Obviously it gives some insight into the fact that you're questioning. If you consider what "dream you" decided about yourself in the dream do you agree with her? Disagree?

As far as dream symbology, I find it can be fun but I think it's sort of like astrology, it's just a "one size fits all" approach that may or may not apply to you and people who believe in that stuff firmly often grasp at what's right and ignore what isn't. (Or, it's vague enough that it could apply to anyone). A woman in my dream may mean something drastically different from a woman in yours, as might a cat, or a baseball bat, or whatever else.

19. ChickenLady

I think what happened in your dream could mean different things depending on what you were thinking about recently. I know personally that my dreams can be really strange or really obvious depending on what happened during the day, and sometimes obvious dreams aren't really so obvious. Of course they sometimes are. I don't trust dream dictionaries myself, although somethings can be accurate.