1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need books!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Emmanuella, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Emmanuella

book recommendations

I'm reading more books this year.... Like, a LOT! When I was younger I was a huge reader and I really miss it. Now that I'm no longer a student I will have more time for lease reading (woohoooooh!)

Open to any/all genres...though not the biggest fan of "fantasy".
    I really do have a knack for suspense and drama and stories similar to the teen novel "The Giver"; ones that depict alternate societies/plausible futures...ones that bring up philosophical questions.

Anything really (I wouldn't total rule out an AWESOME fantasy/sci-fi book)

What are your top 4 novels?!

#1 Emmanuella, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Emmanuella

Ooh thanks for the link! I'm definitely going to have a thorough look of this thread when I am not half asleep.

4. Thedistra

Pretty much everything I read is fantasy, but you might be interested in the Silo Saga by Hugh Howey it sorta fits the alternate societies/plausible future thing. Apparently its considered Sci-fi.

5. SomeLeviathan

Re: book recommendations

oh I love the Giver.

Top 4 Novels (in no particular order)
    1. Animal Farm by Orwell (better than 1948 anyone who tells you different is bullshitting you :v)
    2. The Mirage by Matt Ruff (what if the Middle East was a world Power and the US was a backwater collection of states?)
    3. The Crucible by Arthur Miller (not really a Novel but still worth the read, Witch Trials at its best as well as alagory for McCarthyism)
    4. The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emma Orczy (French Revolution Drama at its best)

6. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    Make room!Make room!.....Naked Lunch.....Trainspotting

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Read Dune by Frank Herbert. It is one of the best sci-fi novels ever. You can see Star Wars is largely based off of it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/234225.Dune

8. Emmanuella

OOoh thank you for ALL of these. I really appreciate the time you tok to search and post :slight_smile: I'm going to check out each and every one of these books (my goal is approx. A book a week... I'm a fast reader and have enough time on my hands....)!

9. White Knight

10. adinaVerdun

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i recommend From A Distance by CL Hart, if you haven't read it yet.

11. badluckfairy

11.22.63 by Stephen King is amazing.

12. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just read Doctor Sleep by Stephen King and it was freaking awesome! If you like The Shining, you'll like this one. It's the sequel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Carrie by Stephen King is amazing as well! Anything Agatha Christie is good if you like mystery/suspense. Two of her books that are really good are And Then There Were None (one of my personal favourites by her) and Murder on the Orient Express. Another amazing book is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. This one borders more on sci-fi, but it's a great book! It's basically Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Tron smooshed together :lol: Another favourite would be the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. No joke, I sat down one day and read the entire thing from cover to cover. That one definitely has the suspense aspect :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Angels and Demons is another one by Dan Brown. Omg, I could sit here forever!! But I'll leave you with those XD If you're interested in Buddhism or spiritual readings, I can give you a great book for that too!

13. Nikky DoUrden

Ender's Game is fantasy but has a lot of suspension moments, and the first book is VERY light on the fantasy part relativly to the next books, so u can just read the first book, it won awards :grin:

14. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I strongly recomend the A Song of Ice and Fire books if you are into fantasy. The tv series Game of Thrones is based on them.

15. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *Joyland (Steven King)
    *The Book Thief
    *The Leftovers
    *The Kiterunner
    *I Am Number Four

16. Magnemma

Magnemma Guest

my favorite books are "Water for Elephants" its a drama. and "the glass castle" thats a memoir and i usually don't like memoirs but this one is so amazing.

17. Candace

Have you tried looking into James Patterson, Stephen King, etc. They have dozens and dozens of books and they're really suspenseful. I know that James Patterson has a series called Alex Cross (22 books so far) and another series that goes up in numbers (13 in that series). So you'd have a LOT of reading material if you chose that.

18. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Yes, yes, yes!

I really enjoyed The Five People You Meet in Heaven

19. Emmanuella

WOWW!! So ma y reccomendations. And a lot of Stephen King. It's funny, all of my family members are Stephen Kind readers... it's weird that I never read any of his books!! Guess I'm about to start!

THANKS AGAIN guys :slight_smile: I'm going to try to save or print this thread as reference, before I lose it!! :slight_smile:

Recently I bought three new books during the holidays: Burned Angels by Camilla Lackberg, Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn and Jane Austen's First Love by Syrie James!! As soon as those are finished (my goal is 1 book a week... maybe more as I have a TON of free time!) I shall get straight to this list! :O )

20. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My absolute most favourite novel is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. It's "plausible" dystopian future, and a little gay! :grin: Lol, seriously it's great!

You could also look into Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden, if you want something dark and historical. I also recommend "Goodmorning Juliet (Goodnight Desdemona)" by Ann-Marie MacDonald for something lighthearted and hilarious.