1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT kids in highschool??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Belle the Bee, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I go to a public school in a smallish town in Michigan that's a weird combination of really really wealthy families and families in deep poverty. Mostly conservitive but theres some openminded folks. There's about a thousand kids at my highschool and its a pretty good school but out of that many kids there's only 5 open lesbians. They're not bullied or anything that I'm aware of but its not something that's talked about and they definitely won't be found on the homecoming court or anything like that. The one girl is popular and a jock (cute and intimidating) and she's the only one that everyone refers to by her name, not "that lesbian". She's also the principles daughter. I would feel uncomfortable being out at this school.
    I was just wondering about your highschool (current or just memories) and the openly LGBT kids. How is/was it received and how many out kids are/were there?
    I'm just interested.

2. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Highschool was a long time ago for me. It was also outside city limits (still close to city & a reasonable sized school), and an average middle-class area.

There were no openly GLBT kids.

3. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am going to tell you from my own current experience, there are alot of out kids at my school. Given, my school is right outside of Wilton Manors, so that may be a small part of why. No one is really bullied at my school, or at least I haven't heard about any incidents. Except for the teacher who quit because children are disrespectful, there wasn't really anything else major. My school is one of those schools that you wouldn't really expect. People at my school won't judge you based on how you look, or who you like.

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My high school has around 200 students and there is one openly gay girl that I know of, and there's a lot of "self-identified bis" there. There's a lot of Conservatives. I don't know of any exclusively gay males (if they're gay at all, they also like girls). There's some bending of gender norms, but not much. I think I stand out a lot as a person everyone sees as female and acts male. When I become sure of my gender, I'm not even sure I'd come out to my school, although my dad is a well-respected English teacher and I'd probably be left alone. I'll probably just wait it out and start fresh at college.

5. thesecretcat

At my school/college, there are no openly lgbt kids so it can be quite isolating at times. However I'm sure there are lgbt people in my college as there's quite a lot of students who attend it :slight_smile: Personally, I am openly gay to my friendship group but apart from them and family, no one else knows or really cares hahaha x :slight_smile:

6. antibinary

I know of:
    2 lesbians,
    2 bisexuals,
    And one ace.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to a public high school for 1 semester and when I was there 3200 kids went and there were alot of openly gay kids. They were all treated fine as far as I had seen but there were alot of homophobic Mormons. I would say about 50-100 open lgbt kids.

8. Lyana

My high school had a little over 300 students and none were openly LGBT and honestly it would have sucked to be out in that school. Bunch of immature idiots a little too obsessed with sex and with bullying anyone who didn't fit the mould. Well, I was bullied anyway so it probably wouldn't have mattered. I remember people coming up to me and asking if my best friend was gay, and I lied about it, because I sure as hell wasn't going to do that to him.

That said, thanks to my little circle of unpopular friends, I knew 5 LGB people in my grade, not counting me (so that's 6 LGBT out of 90 kids, that I knew of, which isn't too shabby). Sexual orientation just wasn't disclosed to more than your closest friends.

ETA: Uni is a bit better. Percentage wise, I don't know of as many LGBT people, but people aren't scared of being out. And neither am I.

#8 Lyana, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  9. ANewDawn

Both high schools and the one college I went to were super religious all-girls schools, so no one would ever dare to come out. I would never want to go back to high school, but if I did I would come out for the sake of setting a precedent.

10. ChameleonSoul

There's about 700 kids in my high school and there's around 10 people who are completely out. I'm guessing there's a lot more out there, but coming out in my school is not a smart move.

11. guitar

I was in highschool a decade ago. 2000 students, Catholic school. One student was openly out & his life was sheer hell. I knew of 2 other people in the school who were gay but quite closeted. Retroactively I've met a few others from my class or a year ahead/behind who are lgbt. It's still a strange idea meeting lgbt kids today and them being out & quite accepted. Most people my age I've talked to said there's no way they would have come out in highschool. And this was the mid 2000s, not the 1960s. Shows how far we've come in the last decade :slight_smile:

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to a small Christian school(about 400 kids in K-12) in Macomb County, MI from 1990 in first grade to the early 2000's. I didn't nail down my sexuality back then, but I knew I wasn't straight. One girl was bi and Wiccan; most people left her alone because they thought she was evil. She wasn't proudly out though and left after one year. I suffered plenty of gay jokes as a result of being the one everyone bullied. To this day, I believe being out there would be grounds for expulsion. The school gets funds from a "knee slapping Baptist church". Despite all the odds of bullying and my learning issues early in grade school, I finished as salutatorian in my senior year.

13. HelloSweetie

I went to a small private girls school. The only openly LGBT girls in my school were a few 'popular' girls in the year below me who identified as bisexual, it was generally assumed that this was attention seeking behaviour (honestly I'm still not sure I believe any of them were bi). This was one of the things that made it very hard for me to accept my sexuality, because in every other way they were definitely the type of girls I didn't want to be like.

14. NewKid87

I can relate to everything guitar said. I went to an all-boys Catholic high school, graduated 10 years ago. The school was huge, over 1,500 kids, but unsurprisingly not one was openly out. If there were gay boys there they were closeted, like me. Openly gay students would have been tormented, possibly expelled. Hopefully things have changed. I haven't met anyone from my, or any, class there who's gay, but to be fair I haven't exactly kept in touch.

15. black-cat

I made an almost identical thread a while back, with a poll:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/167368-how-lgbtq-people-accepted-your-high-school.html

For me, my highschool has around 400 students, very good school in an inner city. Loads of people are out of the closet, including trans* who are prior to hormone therapy/surgery. Everyone is accepted. Male teachers hug, kiss and hold hands in the cafeteria, just like the same sex couples do, students or teachers. Same sex couples go to prom together and send each other Valentine's day cards through the school, etc etc etc.

We are all out, proud, accepted and amazing. :lol: (!)

16. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If people took me seriously when I said I was gay, then I believe I am the only kid openly gay at my school right now. I've known two others, one who graduated and one who moved.
    When you said "If there were gay boys" were you talking about the boys who were gay and stating they hid it? By your use of the word "if" it looked like you were stating that all 1500 of those boys (other than you) might have been straight, which is statistically impossible.

17. NewKid87

I don't know if it's statistically impossible because the student body at my high school wasn't a random sampling of the population, but I do agree with you. I honestly don't know if any of my classmates were gay. If they were, they hid it, because nobody there at the time was out. The point was, the school wasn't an environment were students would have been comfortable - or even safe - being out. Again, I hope things have changed.

18. MrSkittles

Im the only openly gay guy in my friend. My school is pretty small. I have heard that there was a few bisexuals. One of them being my friend.

19. lyjo

My school has something like 2000 students. I know one girl of mt age is bisexual, and there's also another lesbian (a friend of mine told me so that person is half in the closet still) I think a lot of kids are still closeted or confused at my age, but I know of a few older kids who are out. Nobody gets bullied because of it, as far as I'm aware. Personnally, I haven't had any problems since I've come out.