1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Few Questions For EC Members

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

So, in my Performing Arts lessons at the moment, we are doing something called Theatre In Education or T.I.E., which involves creating plays with social messages in them. Our teacher asked us what message we wanted to convey in our T.I.E play. We all chose Gender & Sexuality. The teacher asked me to interview people who have went through this sort of thing I.e. Coming Out, Homophobia, Accepting Your Sexuality etc etc. Now you MAY be thinking "Zen, you're gay, you must have went through similiar things that we have" and, while that may be true, I imagine it may have been harder for one person to accept themselves, and easier for another person, and others may have had an awful time after coming out, some easier etc etc. So these are the questions

When did you first experience attraction to the same sex/realise what "gay" was?

Did it take you long to accept your sexuality? What were you taught about gay people?

What were some of the challenges you faced coming out to friends/family/coworkers? Did they come around eventually? Did they cut you off? Or were they accepting from the beginning?

Did you grow up around gay people? How did you perceive them?

What advice would you give to other teenagers in your position?

Forgive me for condensing some of these answers down, I'm trying to explain to quite childish 11-12 year ols that it's not nice to treat someone less than because of the way they are wired romantically and sexually and that there is nothing wrong with these people.

2. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1. I was 11 when I first realized...

2. No, I accepted it quite quickly...I was taught that being Gay is a "sin", whatever that means...

3. Interesting case for me...When I came out to my mom, female co-workers, and pretty much any female in general, they weren't surprised...Which is odd, since I'm not what one would consider "stereotypically" Gay...

4. I did't grow up surrounded by Gay people...

5. I'm not the advice type of guy, but accept yourself for who you are...

3. Ortensia

Ortensia Guest

1. While I've had crushes on and attraction to the same sex for as long as I can remember, I must have been 9 when I found out what it meant to be gay.

2. It took me several years to accept my sexuality. When my mother told me what lesbians were, she described them as, and I quote, "disgusting creatures" so I tried very hard to stop liking girls. It didn't work.

3. My family kind of pretends I never came out even though it's been over three years since I did. Initially there was a lot of conflict over it but we just don't talk about it anymore.
    My friends were all super accepting from the very beginning, though.

4. I never really met any openly gay people growing up.

5. Don't let anything stop you from loving yourself. If you know in your heart that there's nothing wrong with you, noone can take that away from you. Be strong and have the courage to be who you really are.

4. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. 12-13, first summer camp.

2. Took me 7-8 years to accept it. Religion an family made me think I had a disorder, that it was sinful to pursue your desires and love the same sex.

3. Mass amount of internalized homophobia, religious homophobic family, my parents are not accepting but tolerating. They want to hear nothing, see nothing, they pretend it's not a there. They have warned me not to bring anyone home and to keep quiet (lol, that didn't happen (see out status)).

4. I didn't grow up around many gay people, although I was friends with my lesbian neighbor until she went off to school. My father had a motto for our association with friends "no fags, no chicks, just guys with dicks"... Lovely, I know��. I had female friends earlier but my father wouldn't let me associate with them too much. My friend group consists of 90% straight guys mostly from scouting.

5. I cannot stress enough that people should guide their own lives and not live the lives expected of them by others. My signature below pretty much sums up the struggle. :slight_smile:

#4 Purp, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  5. QuecksilverEyes

1. I had a crush on another girl when I was 13 but I was in denial about it, so I literally forgot that until I read that question. I re-realized I'm something else than straight last winter

2. I wasn't really taught anything about gay people, not even bad things, I didn't even know that there was anything other than heterosexuality. I accepted my bisexuality after some struggles and came out in August to most of my friends and family.

3. My friends and family are all very open-minded and there hasn't been one bad reaction yet. But my friends always ask me if 'there's a boy' I like and whenever I point out I like girls too some of them look at me as if I had insulted them or something. They have to get used to it, I guess. So, no challenges here, just some annoying things

4. As I said, I didn't know they existed so I didn't know any (my parents knew a lesbian couple before I was born though and they never mentioned it)

5. I'm not really a person to give advice but I guess mine would be: 'Don't be afraid of what might happen, the fear of a hypothetical situation is by far worse than the situation itself.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You imagine correctly. Different people, different life circumstances, etc, etc make the experience different person to person.

7. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When did you first experience attraction to the same sex/realise what "gay" was?

December of last year.

Did it take you long to accept your sexuality? What were you taught about gay people?

Not very long, really. When I figured out I was pan, I thought "cool" and went on with my life, to put it simply. I grew up in a very accepting household, so I was taught that they were no different than anyone else.

What were some of the challenges you faced coming out to friends/family/coworkers? Did they come around eventually? Did they cut you off? Or were they accepting from the beginning?

The only challenges I faced was my anxiety getting the better of me. I have yet to receive a negative response.

Well, my brother used to identify as lesbian before discovering he was trans, so, kinda. I didn't perceive LGBT+ people as any different than straight cis people. When my brother told me, I didn't understand why it was such a big deal. This was when I was younger, mind you.

Don't let what others believe get to you. You're you, you don't ever have to change that.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure my answers of value...but they might add some view of what it was like for someone who grew up in the 1980s

When did you first experience attraction to the same sex

Earliest definite memory of attraction was maybe 3 months before I turned 13.

realise what "gay" was?

Probably as a teenager. The word was known since elementary school, but the meaning was not.

Did it take you long to accept your sexuality?

Yes. I probably first questioned maybe 20s, first accepted possibility (briefly) about 30, and finally accepted at 42.

What were you taught about gay people?

Directly taught...very little. But I did pick up the society message that "gay is bad".

Not out to anyone who actually knows me.

I know some would have zero trouble with the news. But there is a question mark about the older people in the family. My parents' generation is now 60s & 70s. One uncle is a "liberal Christian" and yet currently belongs to a church that is not LGBT tolerant.

A big difficulty with coming out is that there are currently people in my life who A) aren't likely to take the news well, and B) could possibly cause me problems. Unfortunately, at this time, there are "connections" between these people and some of the people who'd be OK with the news.

Did you grow up around gay people?

Probably, but they were all probably hidden in the closet like me.

9. ApexxShadow

So, ever since I was little I really never understood what I felt towards certain girls. As I got older, I kinda started questioning myself. Girls started talking about boys, and I thought maybe it was because I just don't like them yet. It wasn't until I had a giant "oh shit" moment where I realized it.

I guess I could say it took a while. I was in denial at first and ignored it. Then, I was angry at myself because I thought I was confused. Then, I was really scared about how people would react. Finally, after a few months, I accepted it.

What were some of the challenges you faced coming out to friends/family/coworkers?

Did they come around eventually? Did they cut you off? Or were they accepting from the beginning?

My brother was supportive. He sometimes gave me shit about the pronouns, otherwise he's been okay. Most of my friends were okay with it. Some were homophobic, others were fine. One of my really good friends has been very supportive. My dad was really proud of me when I came out..my mom not so much. She wasn't supportive at all, and really verbally abusive. (read more about it here: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-stories/174402-my-coming-out-experience.html)

Some of my dad's friends were gay. There was a kid in my first grade class I was friends with that had two moms. I just saw it was normal really, but I was never taught what it was.

When it comes to self acceptance, don't care about what others think. Your gender and sexuality is valid, and always will be.

10. AndySays

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    1. I had a crush on a friend when I was about 13 or 14. I've known what gay is since I was like 5 or 6 though.
    2. It didn't take me too long to accept my sexuality, but my gender identity was a completely different thing. Ever since I was little I've known that "transgender people are even more disgusting than gay people" so for a long time I really really hoped it was just a phase and it will go away. It didn't, though, so I finally accepted that I'm trans and now I'm completely fine with it.
    3. My friends have been very very accepting and nice and our relationship hasn't changed at all since I came out. My parents don't know and I'm totally not planning to tell them anytime soon (or more likely never)
    4. When I was younger I knew a few gay relatives, but back then I didn't know they were gay, so I guess this doesn't count. Anyway, I've always had relatively positive thoughts about non-heterosexual people, even with both my parents telling me it was bad.
    5. I'd advise people in my situation to stay calm and not let anyone bash them for not being "like the others". Realizing that your sexuality or gender identity is different could be stressful and confusing, but if you try to take it easy and talk to the right people about it, you will feel much better.

11. guitar

Honestly probably being about 12 or 13 in class and checking guys out. I learned about the term "gay" when I was maybe 8, but really had no idea what it meant. I just knew most people liked people of the opposite sex, and gay people liked people of the same sex.

It took me quite a long time. From 13-22 or so, it something I sort of repressed and didn't really rear it's head. I would have little mini-crushes or would check the odd guy out, but was also dating girls and never thought much of my attraction to guys. I had the odd gay friend, but gay things were not on my radar. I was playing sports, listneing to heavy metal, watching action movies, etc - typical straight guy stuff. Ehat did I see of gay culture just didn't seem like me. It took me a few years to really come to accept that my feelings for guys were much stronger than for girls, and it was through talking to several close gay friends who let me know "you don't have to act a certain way to be gay, all that makes you gay is liking other guys."

The biggest challenge was overcoming my own fear. I have an incredibly accepting group of friends and family members who love me for who I am and were totally accepting of being gay. I more-or-less knew they would. But my challenge was in having to tell people I was not who I said I was. "All those girls I dated? That was essentially a lie because I was confused." The more I came out to people, the easier it became. The first people I came out to were lifelong gay friends who immediately accepted me, and were there for me to talk me through some of the more difficult moments. From there I began with close friends and family, and it unraveled very quickly as word spread.

When I was in grade 8 (about 12-13), there were 4 of us as a close group of friends. 3 of us were gay, but all closeted/confused at that time. I've known a few other gay people through school and other activities - acquaintances mostly. It's difficult to say how I perceived them. Even when two of the members of the group of 4 came out to me, I didn't really see them any differently other than I now knew they wanted to kiss boys instead of girls. I've never really had a homopbohic bone in my body, though I was rather curious as to the lifestyle and would ask them questions. Though I often wonder if that was partly to satisfy my own innate curiosities of what I was feeling and repressing.

It's perfectly okay to be confused about your sexuality and may take you years to fully figure out and come to terms with who you really are. There is nothing wrong with being gay. Anyone who tells you otherwise has the problem, not you. Question anyone's motives who tell you that you are wrong/weird/an abomination for loving someone of the game gender. Love is love, regardless of who you love. Being LGBT can be a difficult things to come to terms with, but you're not a bad person, you're not weird or crazy, you're just different.

12. Ebiru

1. I first thought I was gay when I was 13 but didn't really think anything of it. Wasn't till I was 15 and suddenly got the major-hots for some guy in my school (who is straight, sigh)
    First heard the term "gay" used when I was 10 but didn't understand it till I was 13.

2. I accepted my gayness pretty quickly and I was pretty proud about it - I'd discovered something about myself that made me (somewhat) interesting - yay!

3. Came out to 5 friends via Facebook before becoming openly gay - Most people took it very well, but I'm still too scared to tell my parents. I guess I got pretty lucky with my friends and ended up telling them a secret which wasn't a secret for long.

4. My friends made me come out, effectively. 2 of them were gay and one was lesbian, so I didn't have anything to be afraid of. My 2 gay friends supported me throughout the coming out process and we're still friends today.

5. My advice? Wait until you're comfortable and ready before you come out - don't let anyone force you to come out or tell you otherwise. The person who knows YOU best is you, so it's up to you to decide on what you think is best.

13. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arffff

I was 13 when i hear the term gay for the 1st time in an annual pop up sex ed in my junior high school, i was curious and start searching for it my my phone. I never really had an attraction to girl before, i socialize with them normally while other boy seems to be agitated and nervous. which some of them found that really cute and they think i "maintain my cool image" that time but the truth is i never found girls appealing for me.
    Kind of different with guys, i kept getting nervous especially if cute senior student talked to me(i got almost no vibes from cute guys in the same grade).

I accepted it a year later (i was in my mid 14 or so). And living in predominantly moslem country they told us that: Being gay is a sin. Gay people will go to hell. Gay is a disease that must be cured. But at that time, i think of myself being gay was the greatest thing that happens to me, it gave me a lot of explanation bout my lack of attraction for girls.

I haven't come out to anyone. After my parents confiscate my porn video collection twice (1st bust : i was 15, 2nd bust: i was 17) it went straight down to hostile situation. My father gave me a death threat

my rough translation of those words is if i came out to anybody he'll kill me, so i cant came out

not right now

not here

but i will come out the moment i got out of my shit hole

No gay people here, we live in fear.
    Gay is punishable in 2 places.
    When openly gay people try to fight for our right, the hard line moslem shut them down and police cant do anything to help them

few years back my neighborhood caught 2 girl kissing in their bedroom, they decided to banish them from the neighborhood with nothing but their attached clothes. The rest of their belongings were donated. They may or may not even bi or lesbian.

i can only feel sympathize but i cant do anything which makes me feel sort of guilty and ashamed of myself...

Accept who you are because Its perfectly okay to be different, being different mean that you add another flavor to this plain vanilla world.

14. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    1. My first noticeable crush on a girl was when I was about 6. I used to hang around her and whisper little compliments in her ear, and just generally do nice things to maintain her company. I was sort of aware this was a crush and not just friendship, because I would think about things like kissing her or touching her hair. I pretty much knew I was attracted to girls growing up and didn't really have any qualms about it, but I didn't see myself as gay. For one thing, as a child I didn't believe I was either a girl or a boy myself, so it was like 'the rules' didn't apply to me, from how I understood the definition of gay (a boy who likes another boy or a girl who likes another girl).

2. I didn't have difficulty accepting my attraction to females, that part was easy enough. Most of my confusion came from trying to figure out if I was attracted to boys or not. I grew up in that generation of popular culture that told you: "All women are bi," or at least: "All teenage girls are curious." And though I already had a strong sense that this stereotype was bullshit, I dabbled with the idea of bisexuality. It just never seemed to really 'fit'. I was capable of some degree of attraction to males who presented as very feminine (personality, appearance etc) up until they did something masculine that reminded me that actually, yes he is male identity despite how he appears. Likewise I wasn't drawn to butch girls. It took me a while to figure out that my attraction depends heavily on the personality of a woman before considering the physical. But my experience may be atypical in this regard as I have a very clinical 'anatomical' view of the body anyway, my reactions aren't quite as visceral as others.

In terms of what I was taught about gay people; not a lot really. I grew up knowing that some people were gay, straight, bi. My school had one five minute lesson with a sheet of paper where we were told the dictionary style definitions of what words like 'gay,' 'straight,' 'bisexual,' and 'lesbian,' were (which we already knew anyway by that point). That was about it from the education system. At home the subject never really came up as a child. As a teenager I recall my mother was as accepting towards gay or lesbian people as she was to straight people but never really discussed sexuality; it was a non-issue basically. In my late teens I stayed with my father for a while and he would say some homophobic things about gay people, but on the other hand he'd also speak supportively of gay rights to make himself look good depending on the context and what company he was in so his stance wasn't clear. But I didn't consider his perspective on most things to be relevant so it didn't alter my views anyhow.

3. I haven't fully 'come out' really, in the sense that I haven't gone out of my way to tell everyone. I had a talk with my mother last year, but she wasn't all that surprised because I'd been dropping hints to prepare her for it for some time. She was overall accepting about it. The only thing that has changed is that she will now refer to my hypothetical future partner in female terms when contemplating me in a relationship. I have always been inclined to mention aloud if I find a woman attractive even before I thought of myself as gay, so there's probably a few people who caught on. I'm not in contact with any other family, but years ago my father basically assumed I was bisexual and didn't give me the oppourtunity to elaborate further, so presumably he still thinks this. My best friend doesn't know and I have some slight concerns about telling her, but these may be nothing to worry about. I'm being cautious about it because I don't really have enough friends that I could afford to lose one. In any event there hasn't been an oppourtunity to have the discussion in person (which I would rather do, to gage her reaction). I have told a few strangers when asked.

4. Not many. There were a few neighbours who were gay couples, I just perceived them much as I did anyone else. Not a lot more to say on that one.

5. My own experience and perspective was a little different than most so it's hard to compare. But as far as advice I'd give to anyone, especially young people, considering their sexuality I'd say: Don't try to be someone else because you believe others expect you to be. You can be cautious about what information you share with others for the sake of your safety and well-being; as it's your business how much you want to tell them. But don't end up doing things just to live up to their expectations. The people who are pressuring you to conform to their ideals aren't going to give you any awards for doing so, in fact, these sorts of people who don't care for your well being in the first place probably won't appreciate your efforts to appease them at all. Sooner or later, you'll have to acknowledge that you can't live your life by anyone else's standards; and it's MUCH easier if you accept this earlier rather than later, so try to be as honest as yourself as possible and save yourself a lot of heartache later on. Don't be in a rush to find a 'label' that fits you, you'll end up more frustrated trying to force yourself to figure something out before you are really certain. And of course there is the obvious: there is nothing wrong with being gay (or anything else LGBT etc). You don't choose it and you can't change it, and more to the point, there is no reason you should have to want to change or justify yourself anyway.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The earliest I remember was when I was really little, and I was an avid watcher of Barney and the Backyard Gang (don't judge). I forgot how old I was, but I know I had the geekiest crush on Michael and Amy, who were sibling characters on the show. I know I was well into preschool at the time, so four or so.

When I realized I was full-blown queer? Well, sixth grade comes to mind. I found myself with around some cool people, and I ended up being in a situation where I was crushing on at least three of them; a girl named Anna, and two guys named Brian and Anthony. It was weird to me, but it opened my eyes to the possibility that I was bisexual--something I proudly embraced back in my Myspace days at the time.

I wasn't taught anything about gay people, much like how religion wasn't something that we spoke about openly. I'm not sure if I felt really out of place for my attractions, but I know I was at a point where I was worried about how people would take it. So I feel like I was quick to accept myself, but it was the acceptance of others that concerned me.

With my orientation, the first two people I told (a cousin and a friend with two moms), they took it well and were chill about it. My mom wasn't too thrilled about what my Myspace said (so much for privacy) and wanted me to take it down. I don't know how much of it was her trying to come to terms with it or how much of it was genuinely for my safety. By the time I was in high school, I had queer friends and felt okay enough to be partially open about it. Since my freshmen year, nobody batted an eye to me about being queer. My family has yet to make any snide comments about it, especially that I have a fiance who is queer as all hell like me.

In terms of being trans, I was slow with coming out. I started out on forums, and felt safe there for a while. I then worked up to people I knew, and got mixed reactions. My mom was weird about it, being hostile and talking about money. My cousins said they always knew. My dad and step mom were accepting and asked a lot of questions, but still misgender me with cards they mail me--even though the coming out talk we had happened two years ago. My friends were mostly positive; quick to adjust to pronouns and my new name. Two of the best came from my friends Drew and Andy; pretty much letting me know that they're not the judgmental type and that I'm always going to be a brother to them.

My biggest challenge was trying to survive high school, which was awful for me in my junior year because I was severely depressed and thought about dropping out at least a dozen times; bringing on memories of middle school where teachers were surprised I was feeling the way I was since I was an "out going" student. It didn't help me either that some people at my lunch table were horribly transphobic or that therapists were judgmental and very victim blaming. The worst of it all had to have been the nightmares I had where I was outed (one dream involved my locker being vandalized), jumped, and killed by people I had classes with.

After graduating, things did improve. Like with my orientation, I never got crap for being trans. If anything, it just showed me I was too anxious about almost nothing--and that maybe I could have transitioned my senior year and been safe. I got tumblr and facebook messages from my peers congratulating me on discovering myself, and sent lots of good vibes. I did get small glimmers from people who wanted to ask me questions; one from someone who I vaguely remember in passing, whose partner had come out to her as FTM and wanted to know how to support him. One moment I remember involved me making a passive aggressive post aimed towards someone who made extremely transphobic comments about someone their ex was dating, and a childhood friend messaged me asking whose ass they had to kick. So to keep it short, my friends were super supportive and amazing through it all. With co-workers, I don't know who knows I'm that shade of queer, but nobody has said anything nasty yet.

I didn't know many gay people growing up, with the earliest encounter I remember being the two moms from a friend I mentioned previously. The two of them are great, being fans of the metal and classic rock bands I like--something which surprised me (c'mon, what adults in their 40s love Marilyn Manson and Slayer??). Besides them, I wouldn't really meet more gay people until some of the people I went to school with came out; some I was told word of mouth and others I found out by chance.

I was told by my dad that one of my cousins, Stan, is gay. I remember him vaguely as a little kid, but I didn't know him personally. Another cousin recently married her partner in New York, but I don't know either of them as well.

Being a teenager can suck a lot sometimes, and many of them are two-faced dirtbags who like to put others down to make themselves feel better. Fuck those people, especially the bystanders who let it happen. Life is way too short to stay silent and live in a closet. Be proud of yourself, love yourself. Hell if you want, be loud about it. You're unique and there's never going to be another you in this world. You're one of a kind, and very limited edition--so ride that shit until the wheels fall off.

If anyone, and I mean anyone, gives you shit for being yourself and finding who you are-they can all go fuck themselves. Every last one of them. There's going to be a lot of douchebags and assholes out there who want to do nothing more than rain your parade, but there's also going to be a lot of people out there who will stick up for your and not let those narrow minded fuckheads push you around. If your friends are the haters, they weren't your friends to begin with. If your family are the bigoted bunch, fuck them. Family isn't defined by blood, but strong relationships you have with others. One of the finer things about being queer is that you get to choose who your family is, and that's something everyone needs to remember the next time you get verbally threatened or abused by "loved ones".

It might take some time to see, but things do get better. It might not today or tomorrow, but it will one day. Just remember this. There's a good chance that the people who bullied you are either going to be working for you one day or kiss your ass when they see you at the top of the chain. Just think about that for a moment, and when that day comes, you can knock them down a peg and put them in their place.

Here's something to cheer you up if you're still feeling down:

[YOUTUBE]cTQNwMxqM3E[/YOUTUBE]

16. AKTodd

That I understood to be attraction? 19

Knew what gay was in an abstract way back in HS. Don't remember the exact age.

About half an hour. I wasn't really taught anything about gay people.

I had one co-worker who didn't believe me at first because I 'didn't fit his stereotype'. He came around in a few weeks. Otherwise people were pretty much fine with it or indifferent.

No, not really. There was a guy in our town who was rumored to be gay apparently. He taught me some computer programming when I was in the gifted student program. He was a nice enough guy.

Beyond that, I didn't really have any perception of gay people one way or the other.

Todd

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Dreams about boys, and my first crush, in 6th grade or something. I didn't admit it until middle school or so

Not long, and not much. I didn't meet any openly gay people until I went on the internet, which is where I realized I liked them and felt comfortable around them. Soon after, I joined them.

I haven't come out to my dad to this day, everyone else took it well and some of them made it easy by asking me. I was somewhat worried when I came out to a religious friend, later on it turned out she herself was gay, and told me I was an inspiration that led to her own coming out O_O

Didn't really know anything about them til I was like a preteen. Thats when the word came up more often around school, and usually not in a positive way, but I didn't notice or pay any attention to it really.

What advice would you give to other teenagers in your position

Go about it at your own pace. If you're in a homophobic area, be careful, build a network of supportive friends and allies by any means possible. The internet will probably be a good refuge for you, as it was for me. Play it safe if your at risk of being shamed or worse for coming out, and don't even come out unless your fully prepared and comfortable doing it. Don't let anything you hear from homophobic imbeciles change the way you think or feel about yourself. It's just a matter of getting away from them, and into a place where you can be yourself and find happiness.

18. I am a moose

1. When I was 13 I had a dream where I kissed my best (female) friend. When I saw her about a month afterwards I started to realise that I kinda liked her...

2. It wasn't until February 2015 that I accepted the possibility that I could be bi. I didn't find out about pansexuality until mid-February when my best (male) friend came out to me as pansexual. It's not until about 2-3 weeks ago that I finally accepted myself (I came out to my friends after my two female best friends came out as bi). I've grown up taught that being gay is 'wrong' (it's obviously not, how can love be wrong??)

3. I've been lucky that my friends have been okay with my sexuality since the beginning. I was there when one of my bi best friends came out to someone and they asked why twice and said that you can only be attracted to one gender (I'm screwed then lol).

4. I haven't grown up with gay people, apart from my mum's old hairdresser who (despite what I'd been told about gays) I thought of as normal.

5. My advice? Remember that love is love and this isn't your 'choice'. Accept yourself for who you are and just roll with it. Don't worry about it because there's no need. DON'T change who you are!!!

19. ZenMusic

Trans people are scorned in my school, especially in the upper echelons of school. I also wanted to make sure Year 7's know that these "boys do this, girls do that" crap doesn't matter, so I wanted to ask trans people about their experiences.

When did you discover you were trans?

Did your family know you were "different"? (Sorry for the way this is phrased, the last thing I want to do is offend anyone) How did they react?

How did you perceive yourself growing up?

How were you treated at school? Did you have many friends?

When did you realise what it meant to be "trans?" Were there any trans people in your life?

Was it hard for you to accept your gender identity? Was it hard for others?

What message/advice would you give your children in your position now?

20. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    1. i was about 11 years old.

2. acceptance is a little iffy. i have never hated my self because i was gay, but i could never fully accept it because of the atmosphere i live in, if that make any since. i was never really taught about homosexuality as a child.

3. im still in the closet =/

4. i never really grew up around any one gay other than a close friends uncle. he is pretty gay and.. as a kid i never relised it, but i loved him to death... such a grate guy!

5. if i could tell anyone who was questioning their sexuality, i would tell them to just relax and not fret it. everything is ok and if your gay, straight, bi, trans.... anything then that's fine and to not let anyone tell you otherwise!