1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats it like being out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by europeanguy, Mar 9, 2016.

1. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    whats it like being known?, do your parents do things differently?, say things differently? id just like to ask, because tomorrow ill be coming out to my parents, so id sort of like to ask what im in for

2. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I think it's awesome you've got enough courage to Come out When u came out to my mom it was emotional But she told me I'm still her son and being gay dosen't change her thoughts on me She still loves I think being known feels awesome When your not out it causes so much anxiety stress And depression But coming out lifts a lot of that stuff of your shoulder the sleepless nights and everything I like being out it feels different but in a good way! I hope Everything goes well for you on coming out and maybe give me a update I love trying to help people!

3. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

My dad doesn't mention it - that's just his way and means he accepts it and is absolutely fine with me being gay - but my mum is coming to terms with it. She said partner when referring to anyone I might bring home in the future last week so it seems to be fine. Sometimes I can't tell but definitely nothing negative.
    My brothers couldn't care less, so that's good.

Writing it out, I realise it doesn't sound great but it's how i want it. I wouldn't want them to endlessly be voicing their support for me being gay: being gay is part of who I am but not all of who I am haha

#3 Connorcode, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2016
  4. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    hey im not sure im okay to post this (EC rules?) but this is a link to a thread ive posted which has the full plan on it and how its adapted http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/207525-all-set.html
    Ill post how it went there, and here to make it more convenient. hopefully all goes well (my family are all very accepting people)

5. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, I hope it all goes well for you.

What's it like? Hmmm, I suspect it's different for everyone, and I've been out quite a while, but in my case it made a huge difference to me, and very little difference to my family ( they'd always expected it, even when I thought I was very successfully 'playing it straight' ).

I was lucky, it felt good, and it was definitely a huge weight off my shoulders.

Best of luck for tomorrow :slight_smile:

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only come out as trans, which didn't go over well with parents. However, I will say that a huge weight has been lifted off my back, to reiterate the common metaphor.

They don't accept my identity, so they essentially treat me the same as before I came out (albeit with more suspicion).

But, best of luck to you if you're ready to come out.

#6 Kodo, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  7. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks I'll defiantly read this I'm sure your parents will accept you Your still there sin I'm pretty sure your abiding by the rules you ain't made any offensive quotes or anything so you should be good Also welcome To Ec I'll be here two weeks tommrow I've got a 126 post count so I meet the requirement's to possibly become a full member ☺️

---------- Post added 9th Mar 2016 at 08:01 PM ----------

wow how rude of your parents to say that to their child And btw love your profile pic I'm so excited for Trailer park boys season 10 On Netflix tommrow!

8. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Okay its officially over, everyone knows now. I DID IT!!! haha didn't think i would but i blurted it out during the car ride just as planned. was late for my class as my mum kept me in the car for like 15 minutes talking to me about how i was the same guy i was before she new that she loved me and this is just a part of me. for like 15 minutes, she almost cried and was massively complimented that i trusted her. I gave her permission to tell my dad and my grandma (since she kinda wanted to and i would be out all day...and couldnt do it haha) i got texts from them. here ill post what they said :slight_smile:

my dad:

mate, your mam has just told me your news. It must have been very stressful to keep that to yourself. Well done for telling her, that was very brave of you, it must have been difficult. I know I can be a dick about... well, EVERYTHING, but as far as I'm concerned, this changes nothing. You are my boy and I will always love you, this is just a part of who you are, and I am proud that you are my son. Dad xx

my grandma:

Hi Sean I've just heard your news from your Ma. Proud of you, you're tops. Love you to bits. loads of love from your Gma xxx

9. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So pleased to hear it went well for you, that must be a huge relief! :slight_smile:

10. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    it is rather, im still kind of stunned, i cant believe i actually said it. like it actually came out of my mouth. i feel so much happier now though, which i havent been in a long time

11. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See I told you they would take it really well parents know just because their sons sexuality is different don't make there son different Your still you no matter what! I'm happy you had the courage and glad your family is supportive!

12. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great to hear! I hope all goes well. Leslie and I got outed because we were walked in on by our parents... her mom/my aunt. With each passing day it's getting easier. The beginning was scary as hell and my heart still hasn't slowed back down to normal but... if feels like a big burden's been lifted off of my chest. The fact that I don't have to hide how I feel and to hold hands in front of them and and and... Yes, they do act a little differently when we're around but that'll take time me thinks. Good luck and always follow your heart (unless it tells you to step out in front of a moving bus)

13. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out but I don't think it has sunk in a lot with my family. They still refer to me as though I am a female.

14. Cedar

Good to hear that it went well for you!

For me, I'm still not fully out yet but I can say how it's been so far.

I think it's easier for me to connect with people since I'm being honest with myself. I still get really nervous when someone refers to me by female pronouns, I want to correct them but I feel I can't. My mum thinks I'm absolutely crazy for wanting to be considered male and has since disowned me for it, I don't really know what's going on in her mind but she seems to think that because I never "showed any signs" of it when I was younger it means I'm not really transgender. I miss my mum a bit and I think being disowned has begun to set in finally. I'm not sure how other family members react since I only made a post about facebook. I was considering messaging people over it instead but I don't want to bother with it right now. I have my doubts every so often but I think that's only out of habit since it seems part of me wants to slink back into the closet.

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Switch genders and yea... this.

16. BigBagOfBlank

My mom and sister treat me the same, get awkward when I bring it up. What's kind of embarrassing is that my mom still (when she finds the topic relevant) talks to me about dating as though I'd be dating a man. I find it all pretty amusing.

17. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a fellow Yorkshireman my favourite parts of this post are

Everyone else in the world just thought you made a typo on 'mam'. :grin:

Reminds me of a true Yorkshire granddad response to finding out from grandma that his grandson is gay "it be right lass"

What great responses you got from your family. Happy for you

18. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    haha yeah, thats northerners for you with their funny words. though on the side funny story: my parents and grandma have started....avoiding saying certain things. like my mum goes "oh that sucks ba....." haha I dont know why. and i went to a uni applicant day and we saw the rooms. and the cleaner told us that she keeps walking in on guys in the shower because they dont lock the door, as i was telling this funny story to my grandma (god knows why buts she asked) she talked about it as if it wasn't a horrible thing probably thinking that id probably like to walk in on some guy like that!

19. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeh, I've said in other threads but I still find it funny that my aunty still says queer all the time but never to mean gay, just in the way that something isn't quite right. Things like "I think I'm getting flu, been feeling queer all day". Haha, at first everyone used to make an uncomfortable glance towards me but now we all just find it's funny.

20. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't know, but I'm guessing it's something like this:

[​IMG]