1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have LGBT family?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by amwm2wm3, Mar 21, 2012.

1. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always been curious about this because I'm certain being queer is a hereditary thing and it seems logical that that there would be more than one queer person in a family.
    Personally, I have loads of gay family members and step-family. It's a little bizarre because there's also a whole lot of homophobia in my family, but there you are. My grandfather's brother and nephew are/were gay, my grandmother's nephew was gay, and there's me. My step-mother's brother was gay (all of the "was" people are deceased) and her sister is a lesbian. My brother-in-law is bi and their cousin is a lesbian.
    So, to me it seems to run in the family. Does anyone has similar or dissimilar experiences?

2. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Free Yourself

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister is a lesbian! <3
    And so is a few distant cousins:slight_smile:
    Plus my grandma is!

(all on my dads side)

But not on my moms side, most of them are very much against homosexuality!

4. DegrassiLover10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, but a lot of my friends are.

5. pteen

I'm pretty sure i'm the only one in my family, as of right now lol

6. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Considering that they say 1 in 10 people aren't hetero-normative heterosexuals (or around that, you know), it's interesting to wonder how many members of your family in your family tree who shared your blood were LGBTQIA [etc].

7. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. secretguyX

Well my cousin is gay, but we're both adopted, so it's not hereditary :slight_smile:

9. Chickzak

None that I know of.. but hey I'll be the first one then =p

10. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an Aunt who is gay. We held an unofficail wedding ceremony for her when she married one of my Gram's friends, "Nana." :slight_smile: (I don't remember it very well, but it was exciting. But, living in Michigan, it couldn't be a legal marriage :frowning2:....)
    (And I'm pretty close with both of them, but I haven't seen them in a while, so I haven't gotten the chance to tell them I am bi :frowning2:....)
    *And, my Gram said something to me about one of their nephews coming out (as gay), and staying with them for awhile.
    So yeah, I guess I could see how it might be hereditary- but it must skip a lot of generations, because even though I am close with my Aunt Dianne, she is not my most closely related Aunt.
    Maybe its random.
    idk...

11. needshelp

it would be nice to have a some gay people in my family but as far as i know, i'm the only one. then again, i come from an old school jamaican family so it's not okay to be gay so there's probably somebody besides me. they most definitely have to be in the closet because they probably are thinking about what i'm thinking getting disowned by the whole family. at least i hope there is so i'm not the lone wolf where i can see how my family and extended family would act to the news before i come out.

#11 needshelp, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  12. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem, welcome to EC if I haven't said it yet. (*hug*)

I think it would be cool to be openly bi instead of closeted myself, so that any other family members who are going through something similiar know they're not alone and have someone they can talk to. That's something I look forward to doing once I'm out. Since there are two people who are gay on my mom's side, there's bound to be more. And one of those don't seem to be out.. but they came out a long time ago. I hope they weren't pushed back into the closet, but that's possible considering my family. And there isn't anyone out on my dad's side that I know of, so I'm waiting to see what happens there.

13. Auphiel

Interesting thread.

I have no clue. My mother was adopted and her parents never told her anything about her real parents and she never investigated. Now the trail is cold. It is extremely difficult to find anyone who may know. I have tried.

On my father's side I can find nothing conclusive. But again, my Grandfather's mother was estranged when my grandfather was 6, and we know very little of her background. If there is then someone isn't telling, like me, I have only told my sister so far.

I am pretty much a stray as far as family history goes. I will keep digging in the areas I can and share anything I find.

#13 Auphiel, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  14. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I really wish I had known about my various family members when I came out; I think it would have helped a lot. The only one I knew of at the time was one of my mother's cousins. I've seen him like three times in my entire life and it isn't something that was ever brought up at family events because his mother didn't know (well, she did but chose not to).

15. ThatCoopKid

My aunt is a lesbian, but she doesn't know about me. She's really open about it, and she has a lot of friends and everything.

16. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Probably, since I have a large family, no-ones come out though, so I've no idea who that or those persons would be.

17. dano22

dano22 Guest

I had a few distant cousins who were gay or lesbians and luckily were all accepted by their family.

18. Curly

I have a big family, and I don't know any of them who are gay, but there got to be someone right? I'm from a traditional Chinese family though, so either they are really closeted and have no idea themselves or they are like me and closeted because they are terrified of being out.

19. Vesper

I don't know of any as of right now, though the possibility is always present. One of my cousins likes LGBT issues on Facebook, so who knows?

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a single one, to my knowledge >.<