1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you have/ want a tattoo?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jim, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Jim

Jim

I really want to get quite a few tattoos, but my mum's making me wait till I'm 18, even though all my friends are already 18 so they can get them.

Do any of you guys plan on getting any, or have any already?

2. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have three, and I'm planning my fourth. :slight_smile:

I will tell you, they are a bit addictive once you start. I never thought I'd have more than one...lol. Oh, how wrong I was!

Waiting, although I'm sure annoying, isn't a bad thing. Use this time to really, really think about what you want, where you want it, and if you will still be happy with its placement when you're older and have a full-time job. For me, I've been very careful that all of mine are concealed with my clothes during the day. I'm a middle school teacher, and I don't want them out where every kid can see them. Although...I am considering the top of my foot as my placement for the next one...so who knows. lol

Good luck!

3. Just Jess

Japanese character on my back just below my collar bone. If you get one I can say from experience that getting one that's easy to conceal is a very very good idea. I know it's there even when there's no mirror and exactly what it looks like; that stuff people say about not being able to see it is a bunch of bologna (personal experience anyway).

Not that I wanna hold you back if you really want to turn yourself into Mr Enigma.

4. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would want a couple, but I'd have to find a great artist to do it. No average, run-of-the-mill, second rate kind of tattoo artist.
    At the same rate, I'm just worried about how it'll distort over the years. I don't want it looking all Salvador DalĂ­ in ten years.

5. Jim

Jim

I want one of my inner arm, one on my thigh and one on my back. They're all pretty easy to hide because of the kinds of clothes I wear, plus I want a job in science, so I'll be wearing a lab coat all day anyway.

6. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I HATE that line of logic. My mother says that all the time. "Why bother getting a tattoo if you can't see it?" Ugh...I've stopped trying to make her understand. I love them, and (this may make me a bit weird...so I'm sorry ahead of time) I love the feeling of getting one. It's such a rush. And afterwards I'm left with a beautiful piece of art that I can admire anytime I want. So what if I can't see it all day...or even if no one else can see it.

7. timo

I don't have any, yet. Might want one or two in the future when I'm really sure of what I want. I rather wait a few more years than get one and regret it

8. leer

am thinking of having a heart&dagger between my shoulders and something on my bottom cheek:icon_bigg

9. TheBookReader

I would like some. Mostly lyrics that I find to be inspirational or enlightening

10. GabrielTai

Even with wanting a job in science, I'd recommend going with upper arm tattoos when you're young. Anything on your forearms and wrists might not be covered by an average work uniform (Don't know about the UK for sure, but I know in the US a lot of uniforms are T-shirts). Make sure any tattoo can be covered using everyday items so that you don't have to pop on a huge bandaid or something that makes your uniform look tacky. I have 4 tats myself, one on the back of my neck (covered with collared shirt), one on the right side of my back, one on my calf, and another on my wrist (covered by a watch). The wrist tattoo wasn't a particularly smart move on my part, but at least it's small enough that it can be covered.

As others have said, tattoos are addictive. I got 3 in the last year. While it's healing, you'll probably think "this is annoying. So not getting another one." But once it heals, you'll forget all about that and want another one. At least, that's how it's been with all the people I know.

Also, it's good your mom's making you wait. It will give you time to think about what you want. Probably doesn't need to be stated, but just in case: NEVER tattoo the name of anyone who isn't biologically related to you on your person.

11. If at all, this, on my upper arm. I don't want a ton of tattoos, but 1 wouldn't hurt.

[​IMG]

12. Salazar

I tend to find them really quite hideous. They sound painful, and then as you get older they just stretch and you're just left with a colourful smudge. I guess they're not too bad if they're small, but I just can see the appeal in having ink injected between layers of your skin.

13. TheSeeker

I have two. One on my left shoulder (a character from the Berber Alphabet) and a bicep cuff made of tiny Coyote tracks. Both have special meaning to me and only me.

My rule of thumb, since I work for the federal government, is I can get as many tattoos as I want as long as they can't be seen if I am wearing shorts and a short-sleeved uniform shirt.

Just be sure you know exactly what you want and be sure it will mean as much to you when you are 80 as it does now...

Also, I agree, they are quite addictive...

14. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one, I want to get another...'

The one I want to get is going to be a medical sign on my left wrist with "Diabetic Type 1" But I am waiting until I have a job before I get it, just in case >.<

And I have one - side of left calf
    Nautical star with gears on the inside -
    the star in general is for sea services (my dad served 20 years in the navy- now retired)
    The gears are because he worked on the planes
    Then there's wires in one which is for my bro (air force avionics)
    Also there's one small heart inside one of the gears for "family"

[​IMG]

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/members/23471-albums4200-picture34789.html

15. if i got all the tattoos i wanted when i was 16.... wow i would regret it.
    i wanted a diamond on my thumb, 2 doves on my chest and mum on my foot.
    so glad i waited. but at the time i was so dead set on it and thought they were really what i wanted. wow hahha.

now im older and thought it through enough i want my brothers names on my wrist but only tiny. my uncles initial on a part of me that cant be seen, havent decided where yet. and stand by me quote on my wrist. they all mean something to me and always will do.

16. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So far....I only have one on my back. It's Taz (the Tasmanian Devil from Looney Tunes) riding a motorcycle with a guitar on his back. Kind of symbolic for me. What's even better is that I drew it myself and the tattoo artist made a stencil. Kind of cool to have my own artwork permanently on myself. :slight_smile:

I have a couple of ideas if I decide to get more.

17. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i want to have a wolf on my leg

18. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No and no.

19. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I have wayyy too many. I got my first one when I was 16 and it's actually my favorite one even after all the others. As long as it's meaningful to you, I say why not :slight_smile:

20. hmph

hmph Guest

cicada on my left thigh.
    triple spiral on my left thumb.
    fox on my calve.
    debating for a while whether or not i want this on my hip. it's a piece of artwork by Katie Scott. very large. if i do decide to get it, i think it'd have to be modified.

but yeah. i'd like some tattoos. money money money.