1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you be open to a non-monogamous relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Would you be open to a non-monogamous relationship?

1. Yes, sexually and romantically open

20 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Yes, sexually open only

20 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. No

96 vote(s)
    59.6%
  4. I'm not sure

25 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. Hexagon

Why/why not? And what issues do you think you'd face (if any).

2. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

I voted yes. Personally, if and when I decide to start dating, I will be looking for monogamy, probably, to be honest. BUUT, I will not be close minded to the idea of a polyamorous relationship. I've often thought it is possible for three people to fall in love with one another, and I would definitely be open minded to a tri-union like this.

This is why I am for polyamorous marriage. But not the kind where it's one old man and 10 child-brides. The kind where it's built on mutual love and sexual attraction (though, the latter isn't always necessary) between all partners involved.

So, yes : if I ever have a partner I would like one that is open minded and open to a non-monogamous relationship if that's where the road takes us. I'm a free bird, that way :grin:

3. Bolin

No. My man will be mine and only mine. Everyone else need not apply.

4. SamAlex728

This.

5. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I'm not interested in dating people who want to cheat. (which is basically what open relationships are, approved cheating)

6. Hexagon

Its not cheating. Its consensual non-monogamy.

I would be open to either a romantically open or sexually open relationship, though ultimately I'd respect my partner's wishes. I'd never cheat. The way I see it, I do not possess my partner. If I were to be in a romantic relationship, it would be important to me that I could trust that the commitment to me by my partner is real, and for that to be the case, I don't need my partner to be exclusively committed to me. And likewise, assuming that this has been discussed when designating the terms of the relationship, if I meet someone that I either romantically or sexually connect with, it might be nice to pursue that.

#6 Hexagon, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  7. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Guest

If all parties involved are alright with the idea so no one is hurt then I see no problem with it. Personally I don't see myself going for that sort of thing but its understandable.

8. Minx

I often think about it because I am not sexually active and chances are my next bf will be. So, I wouldn't be able to be sexually intimate, and it's a heavy burden for someone with basic urges to date someone who is abstinent.

I think I'd be open to them finding the release somewhere else.

The risk that comes with that is the possibility of them finding someone they're romantically attracted to who has no qualms about sex. Then, what would be the point of being with me? If they could find their cake and eat it too.

Bleh. That's why I picked "I'm not sure." :slight_smile:

9. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Meh, if my partner wants to be in a Sexual relationship with someone else, I suppose , so long as that person is sexually monogamous to my partner, they practice safe sex, etc. I do not want AIDS, thank you very much.

10. Spurned

Spurned Guest

No, I feel too jealous and protective over a partner when I have one, I wouldn't be able to share them with another. Other than jealousy and wanting them to myself, I'd probably be okay with it. And I understand if others wanted to be in a polygamous relationship. ^.^

11. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would never want to be the one with two sexual partners. I'd feel guilty. But if my future boyfriend wants to, I might be open to that, although I'd be worried I'd feel like he loved me less.

12. Martjain

I voted Yes. sexually only. Because I think it is possible for me to accomplish this, but I'm not sure if I could handle a polygamous relationship of sexual and emotional connections.

In reference to the issues one has to face in a polygamous relationship. One is being scared or feeling like oneself is the least loved or respected, basically feeling left out or less.
    Also, everybody has to handle well their times so as to not leaving aside anyone.

I agree, cheating is when one person doesn't know what's going on. If it is consensual it means everybody in the relationship knows and is happy with what's going on, if not, it's not polygamy.

#12 Martjain, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  13. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Only open to non-monogamy. Not sure which kind of arrangement I'll end up in.

14. darlig ulv

Open relationships just weird me out. I like the idea of growing old with one guy, it feels more special. But whatever works for you.

15. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This. x100

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to be their only, and and they'll be my only. So no.

17. Benetnasch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No; while I understand polyamory and can understand why it would work for others (I actually wrote a paper on the topic), I do not think I would be able to handle it. I've never been in a relationship myself, but I do get somewhat envious when a close friend of mine feels the need to widen her social circle. I feel like I may be replaced. If I have an issue like that with just a friend, I certainly wouldn't be able to stay in an open relationship. If I wasn't so insecure, maybe.

18. Femmeme

I tried it and it's just not for me. I've come to think of monogamy and non-monogamy as being another layer of sexual orientation. Some people are born one way and some are born the other, you can TRY to change from your natural mono/poly orientation but I haven't seen much long term success in that realm.

19. Martjain

Yes thanks, I've just re read the code of conduct as says no torrent file :bang:. Both posts deleted.

Well If you are interested you can watch it. It's a Spanish movie on the subject of polygamy called The sex of the Angels.

20. Hexagon

Lol, I downloaded it first :slight_smile: