1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dillema of school "what do you think of" assignments.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silk, Sep 9, 2013.

1. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so, just to get this of. I'm kinda planning on just telling everyone I'm gay, don't have a problem with it and everyone can know, I have 3 friends that already know and they can back me up. I already posted something about comming out through facebook and so on. But short: I'm planning to come out totally in the near future.

now, I got this assignment for French. There are some pictures of girls and boys and you have to say who you would give commentary like "wow she's hot" or something, just these kinda things. Or like: there was a question "who do you think is attractive" to show everyone has different taste.

so I'm planning to come out, and lying isn't my thing. So Maybe I should pick a boy to transcribe or something, at least it would give a hint, but also, let's say I come out in like 2 weeks, it will cbe weird I just totally lied about some stuff and so on. I just don't really know if I should use this change to kinda already give people an idea or just lie. I don't really know if I have the currage.
    my only problem is that I share my class with my twin brother. If that would be different, I would deffinitly already have come out totally, so yeah.

2. Ohhai

Are you sure doing it through school is a good idea? You don't have to lie per say, just make it up.
    Unless it is honestly what you want to do. Schools can be cruel and lonely places, that's all I'm thinking xx

3. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, that's what I've already though about, I have support, I know actually no one would care, and if someone would, random people I don't know would surely back me up. Being gay isn't something bad or anything at my school.
    I already have accepted that if anyne asks, they can surely know, but I want to set it a step further, my facebook is also already said at "like boys", so if anyone would stumble on it, they will ask and know.
    But you are right, I don't really know what I should do. I don't know if people will even think I'm gtay for picking the guy or something. I have no idea, I'm still going to discus it with my "support" group, just a friend of my and 2 friends I met on the internet that I can talk to. But I though of asking it here to, hto hear some thoughts

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think your support group could also include your twin brother? If yes, then answering the "what do you think of" question will be easier, no?

5. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, I for a fact know he's gay, he doesn't know that btw. So that's why it's so weird, and also being a twin is super weird, don't really talk about things with him :/

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then this would be an interesting way to let it all out! :icon_wink

7. BenW

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When getting my GED, I had a hard time with creative writing somewhat. Especially opinionated pieces. I was told basically that I could say anything in my writing. It didn't have to be how I really felt about the subject or whatever, it just had sound convincing to the reader (teacher) that I meant it.

You might keep that in mind if you are concerned about being honest in your writing. Pick a girl who looks the most attractive to you and make stuff up, but try to make it sound convincing.

8. BIloverboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have more balls than I ever will that is mighty courageous of you CONGRADS

9. To me, you sound really confident and really ready to come out, so you might as well describe a boy, if you're comfortable with that. If you decide to go with a woman though, you can still comment on how pretty she is without being a liar.

On a side note, I hate it when teachers give assignments like this. I had to do a similar thing in my German class. We had to stand in front of the whole class and describe our ideal boyfriend/girlfriend. I wasn't ready to come out yet, so I had to talk about my ideal boyfriend and try not to slip up because my ming kept correcting me saying, "GIRLfriend." That was uncomfortable.

10. blueberrymuffin

What difference will 2 weeks make? If you're gonna do it, just be honest on the assignment now. That even gives you an 'excuse' to come out that no one can say was self absorbed, egotistical etc. You're just doing the assignment like everyone else. Btw, I also had the same concern in a college spanish class. That one letter, novio/novia, can say so much. You will gain a lot of respect for doing this in such a nonchalant way.

11. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    probably not, I just think like this: everything that could happen or what people wqill say or anything doesn't matter, I'll just don't think about it.
    I just go for it, without thinking, trying to make it as easy as possible. It's just saying something, and that's how I try to think of it. "It's not something important, it's just like saying: I'm hungry".
    Think of it as something normal and try to trick myself into thinking it will just be something like that :slight_smile:

Thank you all. So I kinda decided what I'm going to do. The idea of "acting like everyone knows" has been appealing for me for quit some time, so that's kinda like the assignement, everyone knows, so I pick a boy.
    I'll just tell my friends everyone can know, so they don't have to hide if someone asks something, but they also don't have to do like it's something special.
    I'll just be myself, act like everyone knows, I hope this will be enough since I'm not really an outgoing person.

now, this is all okay, but I kinda need some advice:
    my parents, and my other 4 brothers don't know yet that I'm gay. I hate to do the whole "reveal thing", that's why the doing like everyone knows way would be good for me.
    But some people already told me that it could be offensive to them that I didn't tell them, now I don't think they would mind that much. But is it really that important to tell your parents and brothers?

also, I'd would have to do it all seperate, it's being more rare for everyone to be together.
    so yeah, kinda stuck there, this is the only thing withholding me to just go for it.

12. Emberblaze

Man I understand the feeling. Anytime I get a personal assignment that wants my opinion, even if it's just a simple thing that the teacher's not even gonna look at (don't ask why I'd bother doing it if the teacher isn't picking it up...) I just can't lie on things like that, it feels like I'm lying to myself.

Anyways, this is what I'D do in YOUR shoes. I'd totally do it. Heh, if you have a supportive school and friends, then I'd go ahead and do it if you really want to come out at school. Opportune moments to come out at school are raaare.... TRUST me...

13. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah, already cocluded to come out at school, only problem are my parents now, posted this: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/comin...ling-family-really-important.html#post1677086

it seems I may need to tell my parents first ... And I want to buy a rainbow wristband online, so my parents kinda need to know so that I can order one.