1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't come out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SeriousJack, Sep 30, 2014.

1. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay, so I'm a very open and extroverted person, and I'm always 100% honest with my friends. People usually say I'm like glass, you can see right through me. Some years ago I started to realize I found guys attractive, and was kind of confusing at first, but I noticed that didn't make me find woman less attractive, so I didn't make a big deal out of it and just accepted myself bisexual. The thing is, I didn't talk about this with anyone, I didn't feel the need to, and I had never fell for a guy before (I can't stand not talking about my crushes, my friends always know who I'm interested in, and it has always been girls). I didn't even think I could be romantically interested in guys.

Except now I'm madly in love with one of my best friends, and I can't stand not to talk about it anymore. I NEED to get it out! But I've been keeping this part of myself a secret for so long, and my friends have always been there for me, and they believe they know me so well, and they do, but if I said i am bi it would make them so confused and they would start to question if all the things they thought about me were even true in the first place, and I really need my friend's trust.

I'm not concerned about whether they would accept me, I know they would, several of them are gay/lesbians and they all came to me to come out of the closet and look for comfort since they can trust me considering I'm so sincere and supportive, and now I feel in the need to come out to them because they had the courage to come out to me. But I have no idea how to do it, and I really don't want to make a big deal out of this because it's not, but I need to talk about it.

I live in this supportive and non-hostile and gay-friendly environment and still I can't come out. None of my friends and parents would judge me and I just need to tell them (not ready to tell my family though). So anyone got some advice for me? How do I tell them I'm bi without making a big deal and not making they question everything they know about me?

2. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well if it was me I would start with one of them and pull them aside and say hey I need to talk to you . Then I would prob. say its not a big deal but I am bisexual and I am finally ready to be open about it. But thats me you may not want to be that upfront . Sorry I am not much help I too am having issues. When I get ready to do something I just do it ,so far I ahve only told 3 people . lol I maybe talking out of turn here I hope that you fig out how to tell them :slight_smile: Good luck

3. RedSwiss

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    After I came out, I lost a load of friends, and I spoke to someone about it, and they said possibly the most intelligent thing about coming out ive ever heard.

"If they reject you, they were never your friends."

If they do reject you, they were just liars. Friends don't say friends through some kind of criteria that may or may not require you to be straight. People who are actually friends, stay friends, because they enjoy each other's company.

4. Blossom85

I totally agree with this post. Can't say much more then that really.

5. Alan Lewrie

SeriousJack, hello mate, you already sound like you have a great group of friends, and I agree with Argon, if you come out and they shun you then believe me, they were never your long-haul friends, as terrible as that may sound... BUT, again, they don't sound like those type of people.

If you want advice for how to actually tell them based on my own experience, well, after months of getting myself ready to do it, it still took me hours to take the leap. You just have to do it. I put off telling my mother until we were fifteen minutes from the airport. Later I wound up keeping my best friend hanging out at my place until after midnight with stupid excuses before I had enough Dutch courage to tell him. In both cases the butterflies in my stomach roared insanely but he grabbed my hand and said he was proud of me for telling him and really nothing had changed; and he's a country boy from the south. Granted, we still make politically incorrect jokes...

Just take a few, or a couple dozen, deep breathes and let it out, I said something along the lines of "So..., I want to tell you something..." there is no end-all way to do it, you just have to take the plunge.

#5 Alan Lewrie, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is not something you do on a whim SeriousJack. Before you come out to anyone else, you need to come out to yourself and that doesn't happen quickly, believe me. There are a number of hurdles on the journey to self acceptance and coming out to others is the final hurdle. You haven't crossed that final hurdle yet - something is holding you back.

Now it's time for them to reciprocate. These are the people to come out to first and they will surely understand the process of self examination and reflection that you have been through, before arriving at this point. They will understand the forces within you that tell you not to say anything.. to not rock the boat.

You have not been deceitful or somehow lacking in transparency by not telling your friends yet. Our sexuality is a deeply personal thing and something we must come to terms with in our own way and in our own time. If your friends are as good as you say they will not reject you. True friends will understand and true friends will stand by you. If any of your gay and lesbian friends turn their backs on you they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Don't over-analyse this SeriousJack. Over-analysing will keep you where you are for a very long time. Remember, you NEED to get this out... feel the need and act on it.

Let us know how it goes.

7. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the advice, guys! I feel like I desperately need to talk about my crush, but I'm not ready to come out as bisexual yet. Maybe I should give it more time?

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell us about your crush. Is he one of the gay friends, or do you believe him to be straight?

We can be here to listen and offer our perspective, even though the ultimate decision is yours to take.

9. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    He is not one of my gay friends (I have so many and yet I HAD to fall for the straight one). I am not sure if he is 100% straight though. He never told me about any of his crushes ever, while I always talked about mine with him (girls) before I fell in love with him. I don't get the feeling he is gay but I definitely get the feeling he's interested in me more than a friend. He never said he was gay or straight, everyone just assume he is straight judging by his masculine behavior, but he still makes comments on other girls regarding their appearance. If you want, I wrote an entire odyssey about it in another post: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexual-romantic-orientation/153119-does-he-like-me-=o.html