1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sister thinks I'm joking

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by greenunicorn, Oct 27, 2014.

1. greenunicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I write a lot of lesbian fanfiction and I showed my sister some of it because I was proud of it and she asked if I'm a lesbian and I told her I am. I don't think she believes me though she seems to act as if she just thought I was joking and keeps talking about how "when I find a man and get married" and all that. :eusa_doh:
    How to I make her know I was not joking? I wouldn't joke about that kind of thing. She also keeps saying that she "doesn't like lesbians" which is why it's taken me so long to say anything in the first place. But I think she meant that from the shipping perspective in fiction and stuff which is fair enough, she's straight so she wants to ship the straight ships. But it does sort of hurt a bit when she says it.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. CrazyAwkward

My sister thought I was joking at first too. Which was understandable because I always say the most random things to her and then say I'm kidding. Luckily I told my mom the same day so I was able to have her back me up. If talking to her yourself doesn't solve things maybe someone in your family could talk with her. Knowing someone else believes and supports you might make her take it a little more seriously.

4. greenunicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mum is always saying it's not her thing to tell and if I want my sister to know I have to explain it to her myself. But what part of "Yes I'm a lesbian." Sounds like I'm joking? I wish she'd stop talking about me getting with a guy too, I don't like men like that.

5. CrazyAwkward

I'm not sure why she'd think you're joking. That must be frustrating. You could try talking with her. Ask why she thinks you're joking. And then calmly explain that you're not. If she doesn't believe you after that, that's her issue. As annoying as it might be, in that case you'll just have to wait for her to realize you're being serious on her own. Be open about your interest in women. Be firm about your disinterest in men if she ever brings it up. She'll get it eventually.

6. ForeverYoung000

Same thing here with my brother!! Yesterday, I came out to him and he thought I was joking also asking me why and asked me marrying questions and stuff. He didn't like it.

7. Confused Teen18

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sit her aside and tell her that you may have joked about it in the past but you really are gay and you find it disrespectful or offensive when she mentions you getting married to a man.

8. Miss Andi

I understand the frustration. I told my sister I was trans not long ago. She's doubtful even though she has trans friends and I used to steal her clothes when I was a teenager! So now it's this weird elephant in the room and I feel totally awkward aboot bringing up the subject again. Not sure what to do next...