1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 13 to young to come out as trans?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noel Luca, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Noel Luca

I've been wanting to come to to my parents for a while now, and I was thinking about leaving a letter at home explaining how I feel while I go on a school trip to Wales(I'm too scared to come out in person), but I'm afraid that they might think its just a phase. I know it's not, I've felt this way my whole life, but I think they'll probably read it, be upset for a bit, then try and forget about, and I'd have to go back to being a girl. I'm pretty sure I have gender dysphoria too, which makes it worse. Any ideas?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Aro

Aro

It is never too early. You are who you are, regardless of age. You should come out when/if/how you feel comfortable with. Just remember that no one knows you better than yourself. Even if they do think it's a phase, that will not change you and that won't change how you feel. I wish you luck and hope that they accept you as you are- and often, the responses that you get are far worse in your head. Your family loves you. Explain in depth how you feel and how important it is to you no matter what medium you use to do it. Discomfort and scariness aside, I hope you can come to terms with things and that your family will be the better in the situation. c: Good luck!

4. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I'm fully out as trans to eeevvverry one and I'm 13 :3
    There's no specific time to come out, some come out at 7 and some come out at 77, just don't force it.
    Good luck!

5. Dakeli27

Honestly, that depends on your peers. 13 is definitely old enough to know you're trans, but based on what your friends and family are like, they might see you as too young to know, or think it's just a phase. My advice is to only come out to a few people at first, who you know will take you seriously and be supportive, but people who aren't just your friends, like a teacher or counselor. Then, I think it is better to come out to your parents in person, but if you think they would need time to absorb it, perhaps it would be better if you did it while on or right before the school trip. It could make things easier if you have one parent who you think would be more supportive, as you can come out to them first and they can help you with the other.

#5 Dakeli27, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  6. ANewDawn

I don't think so. People may think you're too young to know, but the longer you say it for the more likely people are to take you seriously. Also, your parents might just surprise you, and having their support would be great for you. It might also make transitioning a possibility sooner if that's something you want. I would only tell you not to if you don't think it's safe or that your parents might overreact in a bad way leaving you with nowhere to go.

7. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started coming out at 14, so more or less the same experience. How long will your school trip last? I don't really like the idea of having them read the letter while you're away.. They might start thinking negatively and even start finding misinformation online. I can't really tell you though, as I don't know your parents.

If they do start thinking it's just a phase, don't give up! Trust me don't let them win and fall back into the closet, it will only make things harder in the long run (I'm talking from personal experience). Keep reminding them and make sure they don't just brush it off. Be careful though. You don't want to push them too hard.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :slight_smile:(*hug*)