1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out, now what?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nathen, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Nathen

Nathen Guest

Well, I just came out to my friend via text. I wrote a paragraph explaining that I was gay. He accepted it, and that was that. I kinda want to talk to him about it, but I don't want to make it awkward. Any suggestions on how to talk to him?

2. mk86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey man.. I came out to my soon to be new roommate last night.. He was cool too but we didn't really talk much after he told me was cool about it.. Which surprised me as I had built it up so much in my head I thought it was a major big deal.and had prepared myself for loads of questions and discussion but none of that came.. But what I'm thinking is that too him it's brand new info that he hasn't really had building up in his mind for years like me... What I'm thinking is that coz we are ones going through it we make it more into a major deal than it actually is to most decent respectful people...

I still hope when I next see him that we do discuss it though but ive decided that he said he's cool with it so rather than push the conversation im just going to let it happen naturally... I don't even really know why I want to talk about it lol coz the hardest part was telling him and he said he was absolutely fine and that it dont change a thing (proper legend eh?) which has made me so happy.. Today has been a mixture of emotions for me... This morning I felt dread and regret but he has since text me confirming he's fine with it again... So as day progresses I've felt quite good... Lol i keep smiling at myself in mirror haha... Numpty eh??

Next task is thinking about tellin rest of world... But hey baby steps... At least I got one person that now knows and I reckon that will help so much...

Good Luck with all mate.. Not really sure if my post is relevant to you... But i just thought we are both at a similar stage... :slight_smile:

3. ImaJen

As mk86 has said, don't push it, let it one naturally. For you you'll want someone to know your thoughts, now that you're out to them, but for them they've only just heard about it, and have to get used to the new info. For me, I told my gay best friend that I was queer and immediately wanted to talk to her about it, but could tell it wasn't right. Waited a few weeks and we discussed the topic openly for a whole afternoon. It was great. However, if there's something pressing that you really need to say, pull them to one side and say "look, I really need to talk/offload, if that's ok with you?" and see how it goes. Best of luck.

4. mk86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  5. Nathen

Nathen Guest

Thanks to all of you!

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk to him like nothing has happened, because that is sort of what happened, nothing, as long as he didn't make a big deal out of it.

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

just mention to him that you really appreciate how he handled your text message, and see where the conversation goes.