1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SA91, Apr 23, 2015.

1. SA91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well, I came out to my therapist Wednesday, and that was a huge weight off my shoulders. Just being able to tell anyone without the fear of abandonment or even retaliation is relieving. The problem is everyone else. I'm in Georgia, and fortunately near Atlanta where people are generally a bit more accepting. Home and my family though are the problem I don't know how to deal with. I'm from a bit further south of here and the people at home will very likely be hostile. That I can deal with, I dont live there, dont see them, frankly they're mostly acquaintances, not friends. I have one friend I think I'm comfortable telling and I'll tell him within the next couple weeks unless he shows some kind of hostility. I've been trying to soften him up and get a read on him by dropping hints and he seems very receptive/nonjudgemental.

The problem is my family. Very traditional and conservative family, not terribly accepting of anything outside of their view of what's right and wrong. It would be easier to come out as gay, but I'm not gay, I'm transgender. That I can see being much more of an obstacle for my family to get through. I a couple ideas on how to tell them, and my favorite is waiting until I visit later this year and on my last day visiting, or even the last few hours then tell them so I don't have to take the flak before I go home. I'm looking for some kind of closure, and I have plans in place to deal with either forseeable conclusion to coming out.

I will do so in the future, I need to collect myself and prepare for the worst while hoping for the best. Being disowned is a distinct possibility, but I'm supposed to be living my life for me, not anyone else's validation.

There was going to be a question coming after the wall of text, but I forgot so I'll go with this - Anyone have better or potentially more successful ideas?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian