1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grown up and independent, but I need help talking to my parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ginger Hobbit, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know there's a million of these threads, but everyone's situation is different, so here's mine. Sorry in advance for the long post, but if you've got the time to read it and help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm out to all my friends and for the most part, I'm pretty open about being gay. But I can't figure out how to break it to my family. I'm out of college and I have a job and my own independent life, so I'm not afraid of being kicked out or cut off financially or anything.

I'm not too concerned about my mom's reaction. I think she'll probably be confused and think I'm "not really gay" since I "dated" a boy several years ago (but really it was more of a friendship type of thing and I didn't really understand what it meant to be in a relationship). But she's a reasonable and understanding person, so I think she'll be okay with it in time.

I'm a little concerned about my dad. He used to be very anti-gay. He's still extremely conservative and follows Fox News and thinks same-sex marriage isn't "real marriage", but I think he's gotten a bit better about it over the years. At least I hope he has. In any case, he no longer has power over my life, so I have that going for me.

My family doesn't really talk about feelings or anything too personal, so I'm having a really hard time finding a way to bring up the topic. I've planned to tell them a few times, but I could never find the right time or the right words. How do I bring up the conversation more naturally than just shouting out "Mom, Dad, I like girls!"?

2. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well if you have apprehensions of actually speaking to them in person how about writing a letter to break it to them? Just leave it somewhere in their house where your parents are bound to find it, can be their bedroom. Write at the end of the letter "call if your are ready to talk." I find that letters offer us reprieve from the actual stress and anxieties we get when we try to approach to actually talk. The problem lies that with each step we take we rub through our minds the worst case scenarios ultimately leading us to back out. With the letter you're already out of that awkward situation, once it's there the options of getting tongue tied are non existent. Try it out write a letter, you do not necessarily have to give it to them right away. Keep it until such a time you feel you are ready.

If you are also unsure of just diving in 100%. How about coming out in increments? Start out by talking about LGBT issues, ones that particularly apply to you and that you would face in the future ahead. Gauge their response, if it's in the negative hold out a little and just continue conditioning them about LGBT issues. If in the event they respond in a positive manner. Talk about a LGBT friend, who came out to his or her parents (can be imaginary). Talk about the response of the parents and how the situation was at first shocking but ultimately how they realized that he or she was still the same child they knew before, it didn't mean that everything about their lives had to change. Talk about the positive outcomes for the family such as a more open communication, no longer fear based. Gauge their response, if it's in the negative hold out a little and just continue conditioning them about the positive outcomes for the family, how happy they were that their child could now live as he or she truly is. If in the event they respond in a positive manner. Talk about what they would do if a relative a sister, brother, a child... were to come out LGBT. Gauge their response, if it's in the negative hold out a little and just continue conditioning them to the idea that having an LGBT in the family doesn't make it any less of a family. Just remind them of the positive outcomes your (imaginary) friend's family had come to realize. Eventually f they warm up to the idea then it may be time for you to come out... either in person or in letter.

I ultimately wish you success in this endeavor. :slight_smile:

3. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice, Blue787Bunny! I've thought about doing the letter thing, but it makes me even more nervous than a verbal conversation. I think it's the waiting between sending it and whenever they read it and reply (especially because I'd have to mail it- I live too far away from them to just drop it in their house). It's not so much that I'm afraid to actually speak to them. I'm nervous about telling them, regardless of how I do it.

For now, I'll work on talking to them about LGBT issues and see if I can gauge their reaction. It's more difficult to do over the phone, though.

Ultimately, I think this is a conversation I'm going to have to have in person, but I think they'll react best if I bring it up casually, like it's a part of a normal conversation. Any ideas how to do that?

4. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly just try to take issues which they have been exposed to from the media, it'll be hard for them to formulate an opinion with an issue they have no knowledge off. Say for example the Gay Marriage is Legal ruling by SCOTUS. I mean yes your father has indicated that he doesn't view it as a "true marriage". Try to mitigate this by explaining that LGBT folk aren't asking for special treatment, just equal and protection under the law treatment. As simple as that try to make it sound human and compassionate. The worst thing you can do is to attack your dad because he'll only end up reinforcing his former beliefs, because of anger. It doesn't have to be that necessarily controversial. I myself, the last conversation regarding LGBT I had with my parents was about Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner. We talked about how the family was ultimately behind him. My parents' concern was ultimately about how the children felt about the transition. The whole conversation does not have to revolve around everything LGBT, as I said increments. :slight_smile:

5. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I totally relate to this. I'm not out to anyone, more because I'm still trying to figure it out and completely come out to myself. I have a similar scenario, I'm grown up and independent, I live nearly across the country from my family, so whatever their reaction, it won't really affect me, but I still know at some point this will have to be said. I know my mom has liked several postings on facebook about LGBT issues and I'm pretty sure she's realized my cousin who lives near me is also gay, but not out, so I don't think she'll have an issue with it. Just it will be awkward since we don't really talk about these things. I don't see my dad being particularly supportive, but I'm not supportive of my dad's marijuana for recreation usage and things haven't been the same since I found out about it 8 years ago, so that relationship is already ruined.

I think the letter route is a good way to go, as it takes away the awkwardness of talking about it, but definitely feel you on the anxiety about the time between the letter being sent and replied to. Could you possibly try an email? I know it's somewhat less personal, but it may be slightly quicker and easier for your parents to reply to if they aren't quite ready to talk about it, but want you to know they've received it. Also, do you have any siblings or aunts/uncles who know your parents well that you could come out to them first and then use that to gauge what your parents' reaction will actually be? I plan to come out to my younger sister first, as I know she should be pretty open to it and may have already figured it out.

Anyways, wish you the best of luck!

6. Viator

There may be something to telling your mom first.I don't mean to advocate a "divide and conquer" method, not at all. You may be able to leverage that your mother speaks your father's language, where as you may not. The idea here is not to have your mother break the news (which may not be news you should keep in mind) but more enlist her cooperation in helping you to address your father.

7. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If the OP is to take this option though she should clarify with her mother to let HER come out to the father in her own terms and time. There are instances where the mother will ultimately try to hold the "secret" for as long as she can. However it would be unfair to burden her with such an issue and expect her to withhold it from her spouse. There was an instance wherein this happened and was the subject of a debate we had in this post--- (http://emptyclosets.com/forum/general-support-advice/188494-how-can-i-stop-being-so-resentful-towards-my-mother.html)

8. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to try talking to my mom first, but that means I have to do it over the phone. (I won't see my family in person until they visit for Thanksgiving, and I don't think I'll be able to pull her aside for a private conversation then. Also, I don't think I can handle the stress and uncertainty for 2 more months.)

I've got a decent start talking to her already. We've had some meaningful discussions about LGBT issues in the past. Her side of the family is extremely homophobic, so I don't think I'll ever be out to them. However, she has assured me that she does not agree with those views.

So now I need to figure out how to start the conversation. I was hoping to avoid bringing it up out of nowhere, but waiting for the "right time" would mean waiting (and worrying about it) for a really long time.

I'm starting to feel a little more brave, so thanks for all the help so far! I'll take all the tips and advice I can get!

9. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Update: I called my mom and told her. Overall, she was supportive. She'll need some time to get used to it and everything, but she assured me that I'm still her daughter and she still loves me the same. She says she doesn't know how she feels about "the whole gay thing" (meaning the entire LGBT+ community, not just me), but she doesn't think she has any right to tell people how they should live and who they can love.

She's not sure how my dad will react either, but we agreed that I need to tell him myself. I'm not sure when that will be, but it's not fair to make her keep this a secret from him for a long time.

I also need to tell my brother sometime. I'm not concerned that he'll be upset or unsupportive or anything, but this isn't really something we talk about, so it'll be a bit awkward.

10. Really

Congratulations! I can't believe it only took you three days from you starting this thread to actually doing it. Kudos!

11. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I've been thinking about it for a while and I've almost told her a few times. I needed a bit of a confidence boost to actually go through with it. It'll take a lot more courage to tell my dad, so I'm not done yet.