1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking about a breakup

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NotSureAboutMch, Dec 7, 2016.

1. NotSureAboutMch

Hello all,

I'm very new here and need some help. I'm not really sure where to begin. I've had sexual orientation questions for a lot of years. This past weekend that came to a head with a woman I was seeing. I broke down and admitted my confusion for the first time in my life. She held me while I cried and she has really helped me the last few days. Last night we talked about a lot of stuff. One thing we agree is that the dating part of our relationship is over. That ended and it hurts alot, even though we will stay friends.
    Now I'm faced with questions of how to get support. I have a lot of really good friends that I know love me. They want the best for me and want me to be happy. I want to just come clean about all of this. I want an end to the shame I feel over being sexually confused. And I want support because this relationship ended. I don't know what to say to my friends. How much do I share? How do I get support if I'm not telling the whole story?

Advice great needed and appreciated...

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like this has been building up inside for a very long time, but I just wonder if there was something specific that brought it to a head this past weekend? What can you tell us about what happened?

When you say you have had sexual orientation questions, do you believe these questions point to you being gay? Clearly, you attempted to make a go of dating a member of the opposite sex, but it hasn't worked out.

There are many reasons why we spend years ignoring and suppressing questions about our sexuality, but it usually boils down to one thing - shame! It's not always immediately clear from where the shame originates, but it's definitely there. The good news is that you now want to deal with it and that's a really important first step.

What can you tell us about your friendship group. You know they love you and want the best for you, but what are their views on life? Are they accepting and tolerant, as far as you know? How do you imagine they would react?

Most of the people on this forum are in the same boat as you, or we have been there, so this is one place where you are sure to get support.

I know I have asked more questions and you are seeking answers, but if you can tell us more about everything we should be able to help you out a bit.

3. NotSureAboutMch