1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Medic! Doctor!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 11 11 11, Nov 17, 2011.

1. 11 11 11

Ok I've got a doctor's appointment at 11:15 today!

:grin:

D:

Now I need to figure out what I'm going to say to them to get them to refer me to a psychologist in 15 MINUTES!

Agh! I'm going nuts here! How the hell am I meant to do this? And none of my friends are online - so I can't ask anyone! D:

I'm so deliciously excited and frightened out of my mind!

HELP!

_

2. 11 11 11

Dear God I need help here!

Where the F*** is everyone!

I know this is a bad time and all - but come on! There has to be at least SOMEONE in the same time-zone as me D:

---------- Post added 18th Nov 2011 at 09:57 AM ----------

This is where I am right now:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_HyZ5aW76c&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

#2 11 11 11, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. Friendly ghost

Hello? Still need help? lol

4. What's wrong, exactly? Is it your first time going to a psychologist? Is it the fact that you don't know what to expect?

5. aussiezeek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hope I'm not too late to help, the appointment is in an hour I think.

15 minutes is really short. I guess you'll need to jump right into it rather than beat around the bush.

First thing I'd do is try to make sure your comfortable talking about it to this person. Obviously it's someone you've never met before, however they are there to listen and talk about all manor of problems. That is what they do.
    They'd probably appreciate some background as to how long you've felt this way and whats driven you to question your gender and that's why you're here today. It probably worth asking if they can refer you to someone who has experience with TG issues because you feel you want/need help with it.

You're such a champ for doing this. Way more guts than I had at 19.

It took me 3 different councillers (over a few years, only a handful of sessions) to finally find one who actually figured me out. Right in the first session she figured it out and asked if I liked girls, and then if I like guys. I'm sure my face went 15 shades of purple but she was spot on. Once I'd said it out loud it made me feel better right there.

Good luck
    -Zeek

6. 11 11 11

Thanks guys - yep still an hour to go until I have to leave....well 45 min.

I'm seeing a doctor - hopefully to convince them to get me to a psychologist.

At the momment - I'm planning to go in there and just do it live XD

But I will take a copy of my first post in my main thread:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/support-advice/53339-deus-ex-machina.html

In case I can't work up the courage.

Thanks for all the support.

_

7. Ianthe

The OP isn't going to a psychiatrist, but rather to a general practitioner who will hopefully give a referral to a psychologist.

11 11 11: Just talk about your actual feelings that have led you to think you are transgender. Also about the severe depression and suicidal thoughts you've had as a result.

You do not have to trick your doctor into giving you a referral. You genuinely need one. So, just telling your doctor the truth should get the necessary result.

I don't think any reputable physician is going to listen to you talk about your strong feeling that you are or should be a woman, and your history of depression and suicidal thinking, and just be like, "Nah, no psychological concerns here!" Just telling the truth will get you the referral.

If you freak out a little while you are talking about it, that's okay too.

You may need an additional appointment with the doctor in order to draft out the plan for your care, but I can't believe you doctor would think there's nothing to refer you to a psychologist for.

Let us know how it went!

8. 11 11 11

Thanks guys! I'm off - wish me luck D:

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. 11 11 11

Right well I'm back, and feeling a bazillion times better :grin:

I had a regular appointment at 11:15, but it was 11:30 by the time we got there, and 11:45 before we got called in.

Basically - I just went in and opened with the line: "Well.....um.....this isn't a physical problem, more a mental one. Well it's also a physical one...."

And things kinda went from there :grin:
    I just kept talking and talking - awnsering her questions. I explained that I had been depressed, suicidal etc etc etc, and mentioned that all of this seemed to stem from the possibility that I may be TG - I told her about my self-harm, and how I wanted a referral to a psychologist.

Basically I just kept talking and awnsering her questions - It's hard to remember it all, but I think I covered everything.

At the end she said that she definatley thought that a referall would be the best thing to do - I also gave her a print-out of that first post in my Deus Ex thread, she said she'll read it - and we can discuss it more at our next appointment.

She said that I'll need to comeback for another longer appointment (TOLD YOU MUM >:grin: ) and we can do the quiz/evaluation that goes with the referral (so that I can claim the 12 sessions free under medicare).

In the meantime she's given me a list of nearby psychologists who may be able to help - my homework is to ring them, or check out their webpages, and see if any may be better geared towards TG patients or not.

So now all I have to do is pick out a psycholigst - force my parents to pay for another double-session with the doctor next week - fill out the refferal and medicare claim - then force my parents to take me to a psycholgist - explain everything to the pysch, and get their considered professional opinion on whether or not I'm TG.

And once I've done all of that, I'll finally be able to decide if I am TG or not.....and once I've done that I'll be able to go back to college applications - or pester my Psych for HRT :3

Thanks a lot guys / girls and people in between - my life is finally starting to get back on track - and I don't know if I could have done it without your help :lol:

:grin:

11. Katelynn

Hi! I thought I'd give you the link to one of my earlier threads from when I found my therapist. It has a lot of the questions I asked her when I was considering her to become my gender therapist to help me thru my transitioning. Even she thought these were excellent questions, so they should help you to choose the right person to assist you thru everything. (*hug*)

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/comin...pist-where-i-live-help-me-transition-yay.html

12. Ianthe

That's wonderful! I'm so glad we could help. Please keep us posted.

Your parents care about you, though. It's probably less a matter of forcing them then getting them to believe it's necessary even though you refuse to tell them why. You might want to at least mention your depression and suicidal thoughts. Then they will have a reason why this is necessary.

Keep in mind that the reason they are resistant to thinking that something is seriously wrong, is that they care about you so much that they don't want to believe it. They don't want to think you could be suffering that much.

If you don't give them some kind of explanation, they are likely to get really worried about you regarding ongoing doctor's visits. The next one to the doctor you can probably get by with just being a follow-up, but once you've been referred to the psychologist, you are going to have to tell them something.

Did you ask for psychologists that bulk-bill medicare (that is, ones that accept the Medicare schedule fee as full payment for low-income patients)? If you go to one of them, you might not have to tell your parents at all, since they wouldn't have to pay. You'd need another explanation for where you are going, though.

Also, do you have a transportation problem? You seem to need someone to drive you everywhere.

13. 11 11 11

Mhm thanks Kiersten - I'll check that link this evening - once I'm allowed to stop doing chores. >.<

The doctor's appointment has left me feeling like I'm walking on air - my mum dosn't seem to pleased with it though - or the fact I have to go back next week for an even longer session, so I've been given a load of chores to do this afternoon.

*shrug* I don't care - I feel so damn happy :grin:

*shrug* I know they care. But I already told my mother when we came out from the Doctor's that I was "depressed" - she wanted to know why the hell I had to go back again. Fair enough I guess, but she didn't take 'depression' as a good reason to be paying $90 all over again. She said something along the lines of: "Makes no sense. Privileged private-schooled child getting depressed. What on earth do you have to get depressed about. You need to move on with your life, not get lazy."

Honestly I don't care. I've seen the doctor once. I WILL be making another appointment, and she WILL pay for it. I WILL get that referral and see a psychologist. And he or she WILL help me make my decision.

I've already asked my Doctor if we can do the Medicare Application at our next meeting - along with the referral. It'll entitle me to 12 sessions of Psychological counselling, with a review after the first 6. Bulk-billing won't be necessary.

As for transportation. I don't drive. Yet. I plan to change that - but at the momment all I have is the train service my bicycle, and my parkour :badgrin: *shrug* It dosn't really matter to me - wherever I need to get to - I can, and will.

Thanks again guys for all the support :grin:

Now i"ve got to go vacumn the whole house :rolle: - but I've got the last laugh - I'm starting to feel a LOT better :grin:

#13 11 11 11, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  14. Katelynn

Glad I could help hon, it's a hard thing people like us are going thru, so I'm more than happy to help if I can! (*hug*)

15. 11 11 11