1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just when would be a good time to tell my mother?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MtnFr3sh, Jun 23, 2013.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, any of you who've read my previous posts that involve me and my mother, will know how shitty things went when I half came out and told her I was bi, in case you haven't, a quick sum up of that is... It happened in October of 2012
    She cried
    Yelling on both ends
    Said if I got married to a girl I'd cheat with a guy
    Also said she wouldn't let me get my license because I'd drive around and be a slut trying to pick up dudes.
    I yelled at her too saying how I hoped she'd be at least a tad supportive
    I ended up telling her I was just a bit confused is all.

Then about a week ago, she brought it up again, along with my future career and how :***:ed up my life might become.
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/famil...inking-i-might-able-trust-her-again-boom.html

So now, after Chip's advice of pretty much saying I've dealt with her enough and to tell her, I think I'm going to actually do it. But, now isn't a good time

Well, here's some stuff my mom has been dealing with lately.
    An attorney who won't call her back about a lawsuit on my father who owes us over $5000
    Our car which has had problems starting and we've spent over $800 on, only to turn out it might have been a security system glitch where the car doesn't recognize the key and shuts down the fuel pump.
    And her being upset about her "not having a family" because her sisters didn't invite her on vacation, after having both of her parents die and one of her sisters screwing all of them over and stealing everything.
    She also says that she has to worry about paying for my therapist and psychologist, especially since she pays them up front, and the reimbursement goes directly to my father, when the check is in my name, he forges the signature and keeps the money, she's trying to get that added to the charges, and hopes he'll be thrown in jail for a little while.

But yeah. I want to come out now, I'm sick of it, I couldn't care less about what my friends think, or anybody else for that matter. The only reason I didn't come out earlier was because since my mom is a substitute teacher, and everybody at school would have told her.

But when would be a good time, considering that my mom has been dealing with a lot of stress lately, and I want to do it at a time when she's not stressed so I don't end up with a repeat of last time. I know I've been stressed too, but if I do it when she's in a bad moos, shit is going to hit the fan.

With all this stuff I feel like I'm emotionally responsible for her, when she gets upset and start crying, I end up having to hug her and calm her down.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing about coming out is knowing the right time to come out. If someone is already under a deal of stress, coming out to them might put them over the edge. From what I see, right now wouldn't be the ideal time to come out, and I would probably wait until something positive happens, if you are looking for a time soon. For example, if you get good grades on your report card, or win an award or something, that would be a good time to come out if you are looking for a time soon. If not, just wait until things are going better at home. Best of luck. (*hug*)

3. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, here's the thing, I can't remember the last time she was stress free, or nearly stress free. I don't want to push her over the edge and cause her to accidentally OD on medicine the doctor gave her for when she gets too stressed.

4. chrisV

i think the best thing to do is come out to more people before you come out to your mom, to have a lot of people who can help you (and your mom) get through this. i'm just wondering, have you discussed this with your therapist? i think that would also be very helpful, because he/she will probably have good advice, especially because he knows all about your situation.

good luck! (*hug*)