1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's all uphill from here...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by GrandmasterHook, Jan 22, 2014.

1. GrandmasterHook

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Almost a month ago I posted about the confusion I was going through. I thought I'd come back and post my progress, and maybe it will give someone some hope and/or inspiration.

Although I admitted to myself I had homosexual attractions almost a year ago, I existed in limbo for awhile and I attribute this to having "straight reservations."

I've chatted with people (mom, friends) but was in denial / lacked self-acceptance still, to where I knew I was only attracted to other guys, but treated it like some unresolved conflict of my past where I could still end up being straight.

Through the past month, I knew something needed to change. I knew my recovery from drug addiction and my personal growth was being hindered by this reservation. I started to accept myself and get more comfortable with the *fact* that I'm gay.

I realized ****** was just stoking my lust and imaginary fantasies, keeping me from getting grounded in reality. I wasn't looking to quick hook up - I started to entertain the idea of an actual relationship with a guy.

I left ****** for *******. Through this process I imagined myself letting a future boyfriend in, getting to know them, to love them beyond a sexual way.

At this point I can't stress how much this has freed me. I didn't know what all the hype was about in coming out - it is just an external matter of people knowing, right? Oh, how wrong I was.

Through liberating myself from holding onto a false reality, I was shedding the rest of my guilt and shame for being gay. Suddenly a weight was lifted, I could be myself without fear of judgment. Not like I was going and shouting it from the rooftops - nothing much changed to those who see me in my daily life, except me being less guarded. The amount of energy I spent on self-loathing and mentally defending myself against unseen enemies prevented me from being my true self.

I feel good today. I felt good before, but not like this.

Through this past month, I told my mom that, I need to stop this pretending game for me. I am gay, I am seeking a boyfriend, I want to be happy...

She has always said she'll love me no matter what.

Yesterday she called, distraught about a few things. First, her worry about the adversity I may face as a gay man. I pointed out that I have spent 15 years being miserable, hating myself, on a quest to drug myself to death. I'll take this liberation, even if it means I might face adversity. What kind of purpose is a life, when you have to bend to what other people think, other peoples' judgments?

Also, she worried how my dad will react. I was previously at "why tell people until I'm actually having a boyfriend" but really, that's another flavor of holding back at "if I could be straight". In getting honest with myself, there's only the question of when I come out, and I said that I would rather he know if it's causing her so much distress.

My dad has always been a pacifist, very loving and tolerant. She notified me yesterday that she clued him in, and that they both love me no matter what. They are proud of me, and recognize I have come such a long way from the drug-addled, 29-year-old child they knew over a year ago.

I'm finding the stuff I posted in the linked post at the top is becoming less of a big deal. As I accept myself more, I become open to accepting another, and being more grounded in reality. I'll still expect awkwardness that comes with any new experience, but for once in my life I feel like I'm on the right track.

It's been exhilarating.

2. km1306

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That was a really good read and a really encouraging for us who are still in the closet. You just made my day. :slight_smile: Congratulations!!!

3. GrandmasterHook

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Glad to hear it. I still am taken aback by how fast things are changing. I met someone so much like me on unspecified dating site, and we went for coffee today. It feels so right but awkward at the same time.

I realize my relative lack of dating experience. I remain aware - is this just me flustered for letting myself feel love for the first time? How much of what I'm feeling is sexual? How can I be sure I don't rush things or compromise my values?

I wonder if I'm like a teenager feeling love for the first time, and naively falling for the "this is it" mentality feeling like I found my life partner. I remind myself to stay in the moment, don't overthink it.

My roommate tells me of the situation, don't be afraid to make mistakes. Finally I might shamelessly allow myself to become close with a guy. But I worry that something like a cuddle will definitely arouse me - and if that happens, I'll be tempted to jump to getting my rocks off. I don't want to do anything I'll regret (like being too easy). I'm already overthinking, obsessing like first love, yet I can't know if my mind deceives me because I'm new to it all.

"Just go with it..."

4. katwat

A young friend of mine got out of a nasty two year relationship. She had a lot of self doubt issues and her ex had been so nasty that she was just a mess for a while. When she finally decided to go out a bit she was all kinds of nervous about being too reserved or too eager or too (you name it). I will tell you what I told her. BE HAPPY. BE SAFE. Take a deep breath and try to keep your head but follow the first two rules and you should have no regrets.