1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion... an app?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Emmanuella, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Emmanuella

Ok, admittedly I have developed a bit of an addiction to these forums. I visit from my computer AND from my phone. BUT HOW AWESOME would it be if we had an app for the forums... to feed my addiction.

I know it would probably be a lot of work to develop, and may not happen, at least for a while. I just wanted to let you know that *certain members* would not be opposed to it :wink:

2. LD579

This topic comes up often, haha.

One, two, three, and there's another post I'm trying to find which addresses it very well.

Not happening yet, as said below, but it's a possibility in the future.

3. SomeNights

I know the one luthan's referencing, but have no idea where it disappeared around here, so i'll rewrite it.

IN SHORT:
    1) it's not worth the time at the moment: what I mean by this is we're a small staff and a lot of us have programing knowledge, but with the number of other things we have to tend to, we just don't have the resources to spare
    2) there already is an app that I use for EC quite often It's called safari/chrome/firefox/INSERT BROWSER NAME HERE mobile.
    3) Security and anonymity: at one point we had someone try and get a major company to write an app without talking to us and here is where we run into security issues. We don't want ANYONE to be able to put any EC memeber at risk or exploit the users of our forums.

with all of these factors in mind, it's just not happening. Maybe I'll get around to doing a long-version and stickying it....I swear we've had at least a dozen threads on this topic.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To clarify further: We know that about 65 or 70% of EC page views are on mobile devices, so having a better long-term solution for mobile devices is most definitely on our radar, and something we are committed to doing.

However, it's almost certainly going to be happening at the same time as we switch over to whatever new message board platform we go with (our current version of vBulletin is over 5 years old and, while still serviceable, definitely is showing its age in certain ways.)

So don't get the impression this isn't something we want to do... we just want to do it right, in connection with other improvements that are on the drawing board.

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't forget there's the mobile theme you can select from the pull down at the bottom of the page...

6. Yosia

Its really bad though c:

7. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    An app would be really cool, but as SomeNights said, it not exactly essential.

I use the forum through mobile browser, it's a bit annoying and I often click wrong things, but ultimately it's manageable. It's not completely essential.

With that said, I've yet to use a phone that can run the forum Chat Room, at all. I simply can't load that on mobile devices.

8. SomeNights

it's becuase it's flash based and has other issues in general...

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have an iPhone, so I'm able to bookmark EC in Safari.

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Challenge accepted and accomplished.

Motorola Droid Bionic running Jellybean using the stock browser.

Definitely slow, and akward, but I did successfully log in to the chat (nobody was on) and issue a "/back 30" and see the recent messages.

11. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nice one :slight_smile: If you find a way to do it on iPhone 5 let me know haha :slight_smile:

12. SomeNights

I've got to say I'm impressed.

RedDev84, short of jail breaking your Iphone...which I highly recommend against...it won't happen. Apple has taken an anti-flash stand. which I can appreciate, because flash is honestly a really insecure and non-conformant p.o.s.

13. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One more reason Android > IOS :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: