1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Younger Brother Just Beat Me Up ...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by StormySea, Nov 24, 2013.

1. StormySea

I'll try to make the background of this quick for the sake of everyone's attention spans, so long story short I was (I believe) outed two days ago by another family member to my parents, who did not take the news well. I already made a post about that here.

My parents are strong conservatives and fairly homophobic, and both my brother and I were raised to think that homosexuality was morally wrong and being anything but strait was more of an abomination to society. Obviously, I've changed over time (I'm the awkward black sheep in my family being the only liberal and genderblind-kind-of-leans-toward-girls), but my brother hasn't. Unfortunately in the last year he's become an extremest on everything and thinks that 'people that aren't strait don't have the right to exist in society because they don't contribute to the population.' (I literally flip tables with this kid - he's not a nice person. He's only 14, and I'm hoping he'll change, but for now this is what I have to deal with.)

All this being said, for the last 24 hours all he's done is refer to me as faggot or bitch and jeering me with '(My name) is a faggot.' over and over again. My parents are obviously uncomfortable with him saying these things, but they haven't told him to stop.
    A bout an hour ago my mom went upstairs and I confronted him about the name calling. Personally, I can deal with it, but my parents are kind of busy trying to accept me right now and were visibly unnerved by what my brother was saying.
    I don't think the names were doing me any favors either.

I told him to stop because he was really just adding salt to an open wound and was gaining nothing with the name calling except for hurting our parents. He responded with flipping me off again and calling me a faggot, and I made the mistake of grabbing his arm and told him to stop, so he took a swing at me and missed.

I let go and just walked away to let him think he'd won and leave me alone, but then I heard running behind me and I turned around and the little sh*t stabbed a pen into my hand. Everything escalated fairly quickly and he hit me over the head with something and ran off when I was stunned (he was still jeering and calling me a faggot) but I wasn't angry. Getting me angry is a really hard thing for people to do. I just knew I needed to get a wrap of some sort because blood was literally getting everywhere so I went into the bathroom while he ran off into my bedroom upstairs and I could hear him trashing everything up there. My mom finally came onto the scene because of all the noise and asked what was going on, and she's talking to him right now, but I have no idea what they're saying. But from what snippets I'm picking up I think my mom is telling my brother that he was justified because I started it.

So this is where I'm at now, and I have zero idea on how to handle this. I mean, I tower over my brother at 5'5, but he still scares me. I could talk to my parents, but honestly at this point i time they don't want to talk to me. I can't just hit him back either because then I'll just get in trouble as the older sibling and reenforce my moms stereotype that people that aren't strait have a lot of built up anger and are dangerous. (No, I know the people in my family are misguided, but they're the only family I've got.)

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2013 at 08:16 PM ----------

Also if anyone could tell me if limbs going numb after getting a deep cut is normal that would be great because half my hand keeps doing this dead limb thing I'm trying not to worry about it, but maybe I should be.

#1 StormySea, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no real advise to offer but u r why I am going to dedicate my life to helping ppl that have to deal with this struggle. Stay strong my friend :slight_smile:

3. gingerincloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You might have nerve damage. And if I were in your situation, I would move out of the house and avoid contact. If they are just going to bring you down, leave them. (Even though your mom has that ridculous theory, I would have beat the shit out of my brother if he ever did anything like that to me and he is 6'2" and weighs 255 to my 6'0" and 180, but since you are 17 and he is 14 and your parents would side with him, you would lose if they decided to press charges.) Find a friend or an efficiency apartment you can afford and go quickly. Good luck!

4. DesertTortoise

Sounds intolerable and in the short run, beyond change for the better. I do hope you can find someplace to live away from them. Loss of people who truly love you is a real loss. loss of those who don't, is liberation.