1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm 16, he is 23! Advice needed

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Whebi, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Whebi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello, yesterday a guy messaged me on gay dating application. I thought he is around my age at the first because he looks around 18. After seeing his info I learned he is 23. He wants to chat with me but I said you're too older than me and it's strange. He says I look 18 physical-mental. I said it's strange sorry we better don't chat. He said didn't u like me etc. etc. He is cute guy but I'm not sure. I'm 16, he is 23. Should I keep our conversation with him, or not? He's in my city. He's saying please think, think. I'm not sure about trust someone who older than me.

#1 Whebi, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Stay away. You don't know this guy and already have serious reservations about him; go with your gut. Even if you were comfortable with the age gap, 16 and 23 is a bad idea for legal reasons (assuming you're in the US at least).

3. Whebi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm outside of the US but it's still illegal here. It's not my problem it's his problem but I dunno he knows that or not. I can't trust someone at all and he's much older than me so it makes he 2x not trustable for me. Should I keep conversation with him without giving my personal informations or just ignore him? He looks pretty cute person but that age difference...

4. Clay

Nah just ignore him.

5. Whebi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, than I'll just ignore him. You guys would have more experience than me and I trust you :slight_smile: Thanks.

6. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He could get labeled a rapist if you guys had sex. I think it would be best not to get involved with the guy.

7. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    stay away older guys manipulate younger ones and if they dont get what they want from u he will force you.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The initial way he approached it, and his insistence, combined with the "you don't like me" stuff is very manipulative and is exactly why age-gap relationships are often unhealthy. If you were to pursue things with him, there would be an enormous imbalance in the relationship, and the fact that he would want to be with someone 7 years younger than he is, at his age, is a huge red flag.

You're making the wise choice by staying away. :slight_smile:

9. Pat

Pat

I'm sure the app is for 18 and above.. I usually won't even talk to someone 18, because that usually means 17. Or 16. Not to say that you can't find other 16 year olds on those things, posing as 18 year olds.. but the reality is that even if the guy was 18 that you'd be interested in, it's equally illegal for him to pursue you. I think you have to ask yourself what you want out of the experience.. if it's sex, then you should just be direct. State your age, and your intention, and the ages that you want.. in hopes that other 16 year olds message you. Or use another means to get in touch with people your age. I'm coming from the other side of the spectrum. Seems like every time I message someone 18, they're not fucking 18. lol.

10. jonnemack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    God dammit, am I the only around here with a positive mind?

I say GO FOR IT BOY! It doesn't matter what age says, give him a chance. Not saying you should go and put yourself in a vulnerable position, start things normally, the way you intend it to be.

Give that your time, make sure for yourself that that is what YOU want and nobody else. Again, it's your love life we're talking about and if you developed at least a small curiosity on him, I say GO, find out, take your conclusions and then move on.

By the way, idk if the rules permit, but help me with me thread. Thanks in advance.

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/famil...not-so-well-planned-but-still-valid-work.html

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...except that it may be illegal, and even if not, it is certainly not healthy. So no, going for it would not be a good idea.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really, you should avoid using such apps until you're an adult (or at least when it is really legal for you). There are many predators who are more than willing to sweet talk young people into a compromising situation or even rape. You don't really know if this guy is 23. You don't really know if his picture is real (it's useful to do the "search by image" function on google images to see if the photo shows up).