1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crushes are futile...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Abdadhie, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Abdadhie

As far as I know I'm the only gay guy in my year so its not likely to start seeing anyone until I leave school. Whenever I start to develop a crush on a guy I just feel hopeless and stupid. Does anyone else have this problem and how to I combat it?

2. Sek

Sek

Statistically speaking, the chance of you being the only gay guy in your year is incredibly low. At your age, not many people have come to terms with it or have developed the confidence to come out so you're definitely not alone.. If "most people" know you're gay, you might have closeted guys come and talk to you/flirt with you, this would be more likely the more approachable and friendly you are.

You might want to try developing an LGBT friendship group so you can start to meet other gay people in your area. Do you know any other gay/bi people your age? Are there any local clubs or support groups you can join to meet some?

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Crushes are a Nirmal part of growing up, gay or straight. If you have a crush, you can always try and get to know the person and see if they show any reciprocating signs of likening you back. Then take it from there.

If you do not get reciprocating signals, now when to draw a line in the sand and move on so as not to torment yourself.

4. Esky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm facing this problem too :/ I've found that the best way to go about it is to limit the interactions you have with them. This is kinda tough if you're friends with the person, but giving yourself some space and thinking about other things (hobbies, talking to other friends, etc.) are key to making your feelings 'disappear', as it were. And hey, if you're not entirely sure that they're straight, then you can hold out hope; just work from the assumption that they are straight, to avoid unnecessary pain. It's a tough world out there for us in the minority, but you never know :slight_smile: Also, take pride in what you've accomplished already; coming out. It can be difficult for everyone, but considering the cruelty our age group is capable of (I know I can be an utter twat at times) it's quite a feat of bravery :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I started a thread on this already. When you are in a crush you obsess over that person and act like they're are perfect when they aren't really all that. Stop paying attention to what you just like about them and think about what are their imperfections and you'll get over it. Plus they are a lot of guys and when you do get over him you'll realize how easy it is to find another guy to crush about and you wasted your time on this one person. http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/152621-getting-over-crushes.html

6. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

@chrome isn't that kind of harsh ?
    I knew there had to be gay guys in school I just never thought about it. In looking back I can assume some of those who probably were but no point in that for me .Like someone else here said : it's statistically improbable what you're inferring (paraphrasing )also, Sydney Srsly ? Trust me these another gay person in your grade. I'm not really sure what it is you're looking to as identifiers either .

7. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It isn't i just means look at the entire person flaws and all, don't go off on a tangent where they are Mr perfect.The guy i'm 'following now is awesome and its really hard to not like him, he's cute, can draw anime, plays similar videogames, we are both Geminis, hes born one day after me, introverted, does parkour, works out, super kind and is aware of other's feelings.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    IMO, try to focus on guys who might be gay/bi. Of course, gaydar is never 100% perfect, but it can help falling for someone who can't like you back.