1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going for a third date.. what am I feeling?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FreshApple, Mar 19, 2016.

1. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    With the support of this forum I finally accepted the fact that I am gay.
    You can find my story here:http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexual-romantic-orientation/207354-am-i-gay-straight-just-acting.html

So I started dating this guy I speak with since November. My first date was nerve wrecking.. It's really scary to have a first gay date! It all went really well and this basically confirmed that I am into guys. I felt so excited for the past days!

We decided to go on a second date yesterday. We met at the cinema, watched a film and went for a drink at a bar. It went really well again. We have such good conversations and our minds are pointing in exactly the same direction with regards to our expectations in life and norms and values. I really enjoy being with him.

We did not go physical yet. No sex, no kissing, not even holding hands or subtle touching. I don't know if he is out yet or what his experience in dating is. I did not sense any attempt to get physically closer to me(which bothers me a bit).

When we went home he expressed that he really enjoyed the night and proposed that next time we should be cooking a meal together and watch an episode of our favorite series. I directly confirmed I'd like this as well.

This is where my problem starts.. I like the guy and it feels nice being with him. I am attracted to him as a person and although the thought of me and him doing stuff turns me on, I have less physical attraction to him.

It all still felt a bit distant to me. Could he still just not be comfortable being in public with another guy? The subject of being gay was never discussed in the slightest way.

My first date was really exciting and pretty mind blowing, the second date much less which makes me having doubts. Is this normal?

2. robclem21

I think that means that this is the right time to have a conversation about being gay with him. I don't think there should be any reason you should feel awkward bringing it up. Affection, PDA, being physical, and comfort with being gay are all things that are important to a successful relationship and the best way to know is just bring it up directly. Obviously we can't speak for him and there isn't enough information here for us to answer your questions, but I'm sure he would be happy to talk about it in a private place such as home. That's probably the best next step to get the information you want.

3. Pouletto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You certainly need to talk with him about that. I remember in your other thread that you didn't really considered your first date as a "date", but more of a "let'a get dinner and a drink" thing. You should have that talk soon, as it may be a "deal breaker".

So maybe he didn't attempt anything out of respect for you. He seems to be interested however, because HE asked for a third meeting, at your place or at his.

About your own feelings, do you think you feel distant because he didn't attempt physical contact ? From what I read, it may be pointint at this fact.

Anyway, keep us updated. Loved reading your stories !

#3 Pouletto, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  4. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This is so hard to bring up.. I hardly accept the fact that I'm gay, I can type this down(which I really couldn't two months ago) but I cannot get the words out of my mouth.

I tried bringing this topic up last night by asking how he would see himself in 10 or 30 years with a "house, relationship, cats" etc. but I didn't get a satisfying response. I poured some dark beer in both of us so we would be a little bit more open and little less hesitant to discuss things - which lead to more honest/open/in-depth discussions - but I couldn't pull this out of him in a subtle way.

It's just so difficult. I indeed asked him for the first date to "go and do something fun", I really couldn't pull the words of dating out of me as it was for some reason awkward enough to talk to a guy I found in the gay section of ******...

You are right that it might be a deal breaker as that was my exact thought when I started this thread.. "Do I really want to continue this?" and even the "maybe I'm straight after all" :rolle:

He is a very polite person. He comes from a catholic village and his grandparents are very catholic, his parents less extreme catholic and he said he is open for everything. That's why I thought he is still in the closet as being gay is seen as a "challenge of god", "phase" and wrong. It could be out of respect as well indeed.

Well, yes. He didn't attempt physical contact and didn't flirt. This bothers me a lot as I feel this would give me some kind of confirmation. Everything feels so extremely fragile and I'm afraid breaking it with the wrong question.

I have a hard time controlling my emotions. When I woke up I felt like I shouldn't continue with him due to the above. Now that I'm done writing about it I want to see him and hear his voice.. Frustrating.. :eusa_doh:

Thank you! It helps me a lot and I hope it will help others. :slight_smile:

5. robclem21

Yes. It can be a difficult topic to bring up sometimes, and unfortunately doesn't always result in the most comfortable conversations. Equally as unfortunate however, is that these conversations are often necessary to move forward in a relationship, particularly when one or both of you is having doubts about how the other is feeling.

It may take a couple tries to build up the courage to have this talk or to just blatantly ask him how he feels about being gay (or to open up about yourself), but it is the best way to get your answer and figure out why you feel the way you do. If you find that neither of you are willing to be okay with being a relationship then it is probably a big barrier to moving forward and actually getting what you both need.

6. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This Saturday we will meet again. At his place this time and we will be cooking some dinner together.
    I am still thinking that as suggested, he might didn't try anything yet out of respect or maybe he is not comfortable expressing anything in public.

He is a little bit introvert and I really do not want to hurt his feelings by going too far or too quickly.

Have you guys ever experienced something like this? How did you approach it?

I am now thinking of something like: "hey, when you joined ******, what was your goal or what were you expecting?". It's still pretty open.. What if he gives a general answer? Talking about being gay is still kinda hard for me.

7. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This Saturday we will meet again. At his place this time and we will be cooking some dinner together.
    I am still thinking that as suggested, he might didn't try anything yet out of respect or maybe he is not comfortable expressing anything in public.

He is a little bit introvert and I really do not want to hurt his feelings by going too far or too quickly.

Have you guys ever experienced something like this? How did you approach it?

I am now thinking of something like: "hey, when you joined ******, what was your goal or what were you expecting?". It's still pretty open.. What if he gives a general answer? Talking about being gay is still kinda hard for me.

8. Pouletto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never experienced something similar, but I think it's a good sign that he's inviting over.

My suggestion is to start with general questions (since he's more an introverted type) and to narrow them down as the conversation goes on. You'll see how he responds and you'll need to adjust your questions accordingly.

He just tell him about the fact that you still find it hard to talk about being gay. That may be the case for him as well !

Good luck. And keep us updated. :slight_smile:

#8 Pouletto, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  9. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    We met again yesterday at his place and we had so much fun cooking and watching some series and youtube video's, I really enjoyed it and I think he did as well.

Still I couldn't find the courage to ask him how he thinks about us or what his feelings are. While sitting on the sofa together we sat very close touching each others upper arms but that is about all intimacy we had..

When I went home, we again expressed towards each other how nice the time we spent was and to meet again very soon at my place. Probably somewhere next week. When I came home I immediately got a message from him telling me again how much he enjoyed it. This morning another text message woke me up wishing me a good morning and again, we kept texting about our daily whereabouts.

It's so crazy, I feel this connection as very, very good friends but I cannot sense any attempt to get closer to me. Yet, I wouldn't have these kind of whatsapp conversations if I was just good friends.

Again, I am confused, too scared to ask or try anything and yet again, we will meet very soon...

10. Pouletto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was eagerly waiting for an update after your date last night haha :icon_wink

I think your date went incredibly well. You enjoyed your time with him, and he clearly did too.

I do understand your confusion, but from what I'm reading, you're both interested in each other.

What if, next time you meet, YOU try to get closer to him (e.g.: put your arm around his shoulder, or slowly try to hold his hand - watch his reactions). As I said, he may be VERY shy, so he's acting in a way where it's not possible to pffend you : by playing super safe.

11. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Haha, thanks! :slight_smile:

It all feels so strange but already 100 times better than dating a girl, just strange.

I don't think I would dare to get closer, wrap my arm around him or touch him(I'm not the guy that usually touches anyone or hugs when leaving).

Good news is, we will meet again this Friday!!

I think I will first ask him if he had a reason to get on a dating app and then tell him I was looking for a friend to be close with and then hopefully I have the courage to tell him that I am really glad I found him.

Scary stuff called dating haha :lol:

12. Pouletto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that's awesome !

Maybe he's the same kind of guy, but he isn't fond with touching, hugging, etc.

I think you should totally tell him the part I bolded. Just be careful to not friendzone him and you'll say that you're to have found a friend like him.

Dating is extremely scary. I think I'm not quite ready myself. I used to have a girlfriend for a couple of years, but I can already tell being with a man will be so much better.

Keep me updated please :slight_smile:

13. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the support pouletto! The strategy I put in my mind turned out to be unnecessary.

Where can I start.. I hugged, cuddled and kissed a guy yesterday for the first time in my life!! :grin:

We started the night with him cooking dinner. We opened up a bottle of wine and enjoyed dinner without any awkward silences. Then we started watching a few episodes of our favourite series. The bottle was almost finished at this time.

We sat pretty close and gently touched legs and upper arms again, but this time I did feel him giving some pressure back. It took us almost two hours to get so close that our lower arms started touching. Our hands were next. I could feel him shaking and being at unease.. It wasn't so different for me.

When the third episode started he finally went for it and grabbed my hand. Without saying anything but with a big smile we kept watching the episode haha. Such a relieve!!

The episodes were finished and I told him that I prepared a question what I wanted to ask him but I didn't think it was necessary anymore. He expressed he really liked me from the start. He told me he came out three years ago and tried gay clubs but didn't like all the flamboyance at all(just like me!). He never dated or did something with a guy and this was the first time he used a dating app. He told me he almost cancelled our first date because he was _really_ scared and was surprised I'm gay as he really could not sense it. The fact that he doesn't like to be in the center of attention also didn't help giving hints or expressing his feelings in a subtle way.

The rest of the night was pretty much talking about our feelings and the whole coming out process. Finally someone in real life who understands the struggles! I'm still shaking a bit so many hours later.

As we didn't want this to go too fast and get a bit used to the stuff that happened, he went home. When leaving we hugged, we kissed.

I am still pretty much in shock, this is what I wanted for so long! I will see him tomorrow or beginning of next week, I think there is some very good time ahead of us! :slight_smile:

Probably compared to many people here with more experience this sounds like nothing happened but for me a LOT has happened and this was a huge step.

#13 FreshApple, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  14. Pouletto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow ! I am really really happy for you !!!

The part I bolded is so cute. It's great that you both understand each other. I'm glad he qas honest with you and that you were honest with him about the questions you wanted to ask him.

You should be proud of yourselves, both of you. It is a HUGE step and by taking your time, you are doing the right thing.

I also think you have an amazing time ahead of you. You're very lucky to have found someone like him. I wish you all the best. Keep me updated if you want :slight_smile:

#14 Pouletto, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  15. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh this is sooo cute and so awesome. I love hearing about your dates and hearing the progression of this relationship. I was a little worried you guys would put yourselves in the "friend zone". I'm glad to see he finally made a move. I would encourage you to be the one who takes the next move. It let's him know you're interested in him as much as he's interested in you. This will give him more confidence as well. Just don't let it stall or regress and keep us posted. :slight_smile:

16. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

I am still so flabbergasted. Just unreal. We are really taking it slow and it is all still so innocent hehe.
    From when I first posted here on EC till today is such a huge change! Thank you again for your support!

Thank you. :slight_smile:
    I hope my posts are useful to others who are in a similar situation(from realising you're gay to hunting for your feelings and finding someone you love). It is all very scary but so worth it!

I was also worried we would end up as just friends, but after him saying he was OK with finishing that full bottle of wine and feeling more and more of the warmth from his body and feeling him being really nervous as well I knew it was going to happen.

Although I'm afraid that once he opens the door on Wednesday there is no time to even decide who will be the first, I will try to make the first move next time. It was such a weight lifting from our shoulders when we expressed to the other how much we liked the other.

For the last days I really can't stop thinking about him and the hugging and hand touching part was really awesome(understatement!) but the kissing part felt so weird. It went very natural and I wanted it but it's just strange.. kissing another guy. Maybe I should get used to it or something and is it still that idea in the back of my mind that it is "not right".

17. confusedbubble

Why not take a bottle to your next date and when he opens the door go in for a hug or a kiss first

18. FreshApple

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Good suggestion!
    I don't want to be seen like an alcoholic though. Every date we drank quite a lot and he told me he usually doesn't drink that often.. Bad habits from me already obvious to him. :wink:

Next time we will cook dinner again cause it is so much fun. We will make fresh pizza and I will bring the home made sauce and dough with me. :slight_smile:

I will definitely hug and kiss him when he opens the door!

Oh man, it's so hard NOT to think of him all day! Can't wait till Wednesday!

#18 FreshApple, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  19. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is the best thing I've read all week! It gives me so much hope. I'm so excited for you. Good luck with your date tonight!

20. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey FreshApple! Ive been extremely interested in this thread, such a good read. I hope all went well on Wed. and I'm anxiously awaiting another response from you on this thread. Hope to hear from you soon!