1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling mom I have a boyfriend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jared, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Jared

So I've been seeing this great guy for a while now and we made it official almost a month ago. My mom knows I'm gay, but I haven't told her I have a boyfriend yet. We don't really talk about me being gay, it's only come up the day I came out and a few months after that. She didn't react super well when I came out, that story is here, too tired to retype/summarize it. I've been thinking about telling her about my boyfriend since I want her to know what's going on in my life, to a certain extent, and also to maybe make me being gay seem more real to her. I'm honestly not sure how she would react if I told her I had a boyfriend, though she has told me before she doesn't want me dating. I guess I also want her to know since I'm home for break and I feel like I'm keeping him as my dirty little secret, and I'd forgotten how hard going back in the closet is. Any thoughts?

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Do you think telling her about your mom about your boyfriend would have any positive outcome? Judging by all of your previous threads about this issue I would say it wouldn't. I understand that you don't want to keep your boyfriend a secret, but is it worth it if I just makes things worse between your and your mom? Ultimately you know the situation better than any of us here on EC, so if you think it's a good idea then go for it. I know I'm not much help, sorry about that. Good luck!

3. Dalmatian

Firstly, you lucky bastard (nhf), congrats on having that guy in your life :slight_smile:

Now.. When I came out to my dad, he said he never wants to know about any boyfriend I might have. I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I think I'll do just so.

I don't think it's a "dirty secret". Not wanting to tell something to someone tells usually more about "someone" than about "something". There's nothing that should make you tell.

However, I get the feeling that you actually want to tell her. I mean, that you want her to know. It doesn't look like it would be a problem (better said, not more than it already is). It's been a year since she knows about your sexuality, it's not too soon for her to know it wasn't just a phase. Of course, the details of how she could react are known to you alone. It would be liberating to not have to worry about saying too much anymore, right?