1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have no idea what this means

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RainbowMan, Apr 15, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

If you read my other thread on what happened at the LGBT Board Game meetup, it gets more interesting.

Our interloper (the gay one) is 22. I know this because we're now friends on Facebook (we were immediately).

I messaged him when I got home, said "it was good hanging with you, we should do it again sometime soon". He replied with a smiley face. Not sure what that means, does he like me?

More importantly, can anything ever happen between us? He's 22, for Christ's sake. I'm 34. I'm not sure if that age difference is insurmountable, or if he'd be looking for the same things I am. But he's damn cute. And our birthdays are 2 days apart :grin:

2. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Yes something can happen between you 2. Only 12 years apart

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't worry too much about the age gap. 12 years is not a long time, or at least that's the feeling of an old dinosaur like me.... The 22 vs. 34 might be an issue, because it would be different phases of life, though....

But ultimately, I'm not sure that hard and fast rules can be written. Age really is often just a number. A lot depends on the people involved. You can find "old soul" 20 year olds, and 6 year olds trapped in a 60 year old body. A high school teacher told me, seriously, that I was 15 going on 40--and I think he was right.

In any case, this guy could be a good friend. I personally value the idea of friends outside my age range, partly because they can give me a different view of the world.

#3 BMC77, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  4. Aeriestars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tbh, he was probably just being polite.

5. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont know, a smile seems like a good sign to me. Maybe hes shy. Id say text him again, see if he responds. Ask him to come to the next meetup. Its worth a shot.

6. PeteNJ

Your turn to be a little more aggressive -- invite him for coffee/drink/ whatever.

And flirt a little, tell him you'd like to play games with him, or something. :icon_wink

He'll either say yes or no.

:thumbsup:

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    12 years at those age differences is on the cusp. You are in very different stages of life, but depending on how each of you are, personality wise, it could potentially work. The main thing is to keep an eye on the balance in the relationship in terms of power dynamics... because you are just coming out, and he's (presumably) been out for a while, that tends to balance the power dynamic out quite a bit for the things where you've got more life experience.

Just go into it open-eyed and see how it works. :slight_smile: