1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimizing dysphoria without parents knowing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by dray7, Nov 18, 2014.

1. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Things have been kind of weird lately. I'm really not sure what gender I am. All I know is that there's times I experience dysphoria and it sucks (I only get dysphoria sometimes, I'm not really sure what triggers it). Basically, I'm asking for help on how to minimize my dysphoria without my parents finding out I'm not cis, because I'm not ready to come out yet and I'm not sure how they would react. I'm female-bodied and I've been doing my best with stuff from my house, like sports bras (I will admit to using ace bandages a few times, but I know that's bad so I don't do it often or for long), but it's not enough. I have curves too and my face is so feminine and the sports bras don't entirely work, and I hate it so much but I don't know if there's anything I can do. I can't go out and buy things like binders right now. I feel stuck and I'm just so confused. Any advice would be so amazing right now

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure what sort of dysphoria you get, but:

I know, for the last section, you can't necessarily do it, but I'll just leave it there in case you're curious.

About clothes: Wear loose clothing. This doesn't cling to your body, and it might draw some attention away from your curves. It's pretty comfortable as well.

I hope you didn't mind me copying and pasting - I compiled that list a little while ago and it pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

3. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind the copying and pasting at all, thanks so much! As for the kinds of dysphoria I get, it's usually my chest and waist that's the worst.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  5. I am Kakashi

Can I ask why you are unable to buy a binder right now? If it is solely money, there are a number of sites/ blogs dedicated to helping people with dysphoria get binders either cheaply or have them be donated to you.

If it's due to you living with your parents, you could order different things from Amazon so it's a big package of random stuff as well and/ or have it shipped to a friend's house who either knows the situation or isn't nosy/ rude enough to open your package. :slight_smile:

6. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's because my parents don't know. I can't buy one without their credit card, and even if I did get a free one, I'd have to get it shipped to a friend's house like you said. I suppose that is an option. I just hate sneaking behind my parent's backs. It's not that they're completely against trans/nonbinary people, it's just that I don't think I'm in a place right now where coming out would be a good experience. They wouldn't exactly be thrilled about it and I don't know if I could handle negative reactions right now.

7. I am Kakashi

I totally get the "It's not the right time" thing. If you have your own money, but not a credit/ debit card, there are reloadable Visa gift cards available at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, etc. But yeah, shipping to another person's house is a big pain/ risk either way.

Or there are homemade ones, extra sports bras, etc.

8. But just a warning, the bigger your boobs are, the more it hurts to bind. I did the extra sports bra thing and I'm a 36 C and it hurt so bad.