1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am confused about who I am, Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FunyMonkey, Dec 13, 2014.

1. FunyMonkey

FunyMonkey Guest

Hi guys, I need your help and advise!
    Basically i am confused about my true gender, some days I feel like I should be a guy (I was born a female) but other days I feel like I should be a mix of male and female. I have felt like this since the beginning of October 2014.

I want to be a guy because;
    - Deep voice
    - Short hair
    - abs and muscly body

But at the same time I don't mind being a girl because:
    - I like my boobs (i hold them in some sports bras with the intent of buying a binder soon)
    - I don't mind my voice
    - I am a tomboy and strongish
    But I dont like;
    - my bottom or hips (feel like they are too big)
    - I am not that strong
    - guys act gentle around me as if I am a delicate flower
    - I hate it when guys look at my boobs and bottom
    - I hate having periods and the thought that I can become pregnant

I have told a good and trustworthy friend and my boyfriend (but I told him that I might be transgender only)

Recently a good friend of mine came out as a FtM trangender so I know that my friends would support me no matter what (we have pansexuals, bisexuals and gays in our little group of friends)

I am planning on talking to my college chaplain and a teacher who I trust.

As i have said before I am a tomboy and I can be quite strong.

My dad knows about me possibly being transgender but he said that I am not because of how I act.
    I have no idea if it is a phase but I don't think it is!

If you could possibly tell me:
    - What to do
    - Who to talk to
    and anything else that would be helpful, that would be great!!!

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/155543-not-female-not-male-but.html#2
    and this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/156085-i-just-im-kind-scared.html#4

You might talk to a gender therapist or someone from a lgbt center. A gender therapist might help you sort out what your feelings are, and your goals.

You might build some community on EC, chatting with others via wall messages.

There might be support groups, maybe from an lgbt center in your area.

(*hug*)

#2 jay777, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  3. Porter

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi FunyMonkey,

I'm not very far into my mental transition, it was only last week that I officially put a label to myself that I felt comfortable with after questioning for a few months, and I still present as female, but I'll try my best to add my two cents in with what I got!

First of all I'd like to say that it seems that you have a great support system for you already if you do turn out to be trans*, it's great to know you have a supportive significant other and friends. It's also awesome to have a trans* friend and trustworthy adults you can talk to. Even being able to talk to your dad about it, albeit his skepticism, are great first steps. In my opinion, parents are some of the hardest people to come out to and it can take them some time to come to terms with it.

With that aside, don't feel pressured to have to adopt a label on yourself yet. Even though I have adopted my own label that fits me best, I am open to the possibility of it changing as time progresses. From what I've ready, you sound like being trans is definitely a likely possibility for you, but don't be afraid to begin experimenting with your gender and expression before placing a label on you.

There's a lot of ways to experiment, it all depends on what you're comfortable with. You can experiment with more masculine clothing, haircuts, buying a binder, experimenting with male pronouns, picking out a male name to refer to yourself as, asking a few close friends to call you by male pronouns and name and see how you feel about it.

The great thing about experimenting is that you don't have to commit to it, you don't have to wear guy clothes all of the time, you can possibly wear wigs if you don't want to cut your hair short, you can choose how much length you're comfortable with cutting off, and you can tell your friends that you just want to try it out, and might like to change it back in the future, or try a different male name.

There's also being able to talk to a gender therapist in your area. You can tell your dad that it will help you figure out who you are, because that is what they're made for. And hopefully he'll be able to let you once he knows he's getting a professional opinion on what you're going through.

I definitely recommend talking to your trans friend about it, learn about the steps he's taking to transition.

Figuring out who you are is going to take a lot of soul searching as well, so pay a lot of attention to yourself, ask yourself questions, try to see yourself in ten, fifteen, twenty years.

Good luck!