1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaching out to Secondary School teachers? (Transguys help me)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by I'm_Danni_x, Dec 15, 2014.

1. I'm_Danni_x

Hi there,
    So I'm still in the closet as a ftm, still pass as a girl, long hair, girly bags and shoes- you get the point. parents won't take me seriously so I'm stuck don't know who to reach out to. Dysphoria is getting worse and I'm feeling worse than ever at school, getting very dysphoric at being misgendered and called 'she', 'her', 'girl' etc. I've tried talking to my counsellor but I can tell that she's not very experienced in trans* issues so I've not spoke much about it to her. During a lesson I asked to go to the toilet and used the male cubicle (as male, female are together, There is also a disabled cubicle for both males and females too), hopefully nobody saw me so I returned back to class. When I found out that the teacher made this girl wait until I came back from the toilet so she could go, I felt like crying. I felt trapped.

I'm also considering going to my head of year or assistant head of year about this promblem, but I'm scared they might think I'm going through a phase or won't know what to say to me due to lack of knowledge. I'm terrified, when it was a problem concerning my sexuality they understood. I've started binding using sports bra's nobody knows this apart from my cousin.

I'm from the UK btw.

2. Manta

My teachers were my greatest support through high school, but I'm from the US. If you've got a good teacher you trust, I say go ahead and talk with them.

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (*hug*)(*hug*)

It might be a good idea to talk to someone you trust...

Here are some materials you might have a look at, and maybe show :
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/156085-i-just-im-kind-scared.html#4

You might build some community on EC... talking to others through wall messages, and after 14 days applying for full membership and join the chat...

You might talk to a gender therapist or to someone from an lgbt center... saying you want some counseling... is there an lgbt center in your area ?

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(&&&)

4. I'm_Danni_x

I'm from the North east and I'm not really sure about the lgbt centre, but there's 'my place' and they work with organisations so maybe there are some lgbt activities. Idk as there aren't really much apart from lgbt pride which comes every September.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, as a teacher myself who is not out to her students I know the difficulties of telling people. Do you trust your teachers? At least one who you look up to and seems very accepting? Even if they don't understand, teachers who care about their students will definitely look to help.

I have one openly trans male in school and no one else.

It pains me to think if I'm trans and can't come out, then how many of my students are?

I wish you the best.

6. Chriswe

Hi! Well, cutting your hair short might help with the dysphoria, also, maybe buy some more masculine clothes? I'm on the step of buying new clothes, since I'm going to America and have a lot of money saved up.

If you ever need someone to talk to, or just a friend, feel free to message me on my wall. Good luck! ^^

7. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I was stuck in that same situation, my god. But I've just done what I want, chopped off my hair, switched to the male version of the uniform and am even using the male toilets/change rooms. It may not be as easy for you to just do what I'm doing, but it's worth a shot. No one really questions me for it, but I guess I've always had pretty close relationships with a lot of the guys at my school.

Message me on my wall if you wanna chat. Best of luck.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel you here, I know how it hurts, that's why I never told them the truth about myself back then, when I was your age, it's awful, I know (*hug*)

Well, this is not going to go away anytime soon, specially if you don't take action : Cut your hair will help a bit right now. Also stop making efforts to be perceived as a female, because it is only hurting you. Most of the female clothing is designed to expose the female "charms", and that in our case is only more gas for dysphoria. Experiment with clothing, wear what you feel is good for yourself.

And seriously : Cut your hair if it's bothering you. Your head and your hair belongs to you and nobody else.

9. I'm_Danni_x

The problem Is that my parents will not let me cut my hair short to the point where I'll feel and comfortable and my mum won't allow me to dress the way I feel comfortable. It's really getting to me now. They are Muslims-not too religious and don't force me to do things I don't want to do. They just obbey simple rules and belive that God made me a 'female' and I shouldn't change that :bang: Although don't get me wrong, my mum is open but it's just a shock to her.

10. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm from the Uk as well :smilewave Unfortunately, I can't advise on school that much because I didn't have the same experience. I didn't know I was trans back then.

Is the counsellor at your school? If not, is there a counsellor at your school? Maybe if there was, they could help you with coming out to teachers so that even if you don't get the support at home, you can be closer to being yourself at school.

I don't know if that's any use. I'm sorry I can't offer more. :frowning2:

11. processingerror

Hey! From the UK too. I think that going to members of staff such as guidance coordinators, school councilors and heads of year can be good if it is what you would like. Schools shouldnt deny your rights if you ask them to treat you as your identified sex/gender. I think in the uk (?) there is legislation that is in place to stop the discrimination or denial of rights based on gender (cis and trans) But i am not completely sure. Although i have learnt about it in my services classes, i know my school do no allow my other trans friend in school to wear the uniform she desires. I've thought myself of coming out at school and possibly telling members of staff, however the discrimination my brave friend faces i feel i could not be as strong and cope, as the discrimination and bullying i would get would be overwhelming. its horrible to think that would happen, so i tested it one day and as i have a genderneutral appearence, wore trousers and even though i kept them on for about 3 hours, i got a lot of hareassment so i concluded it would be safer to stay under the cover of female at school. I say this to make sure you are aware of what could happen. I know.it sounds like a kill joy, and it may just be my school however i think you have to think about what it would be like to come out as opposed
    to hoew things are now. To releave disphoria in either situation, short hair and gender neutral bags for school can really help. Also buying unisex school shirts.and jumpers from school suppliers are a great way to help. i hope i could i help, i wish you luck! :slight_smile:

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Small steps are the place to start. I wasn't in public school when I began questioning and transitioning so I don't have a lot of perspective on that front. I was, however, homeschooled and living with my mother.

But there are things you can do now in order to help make things easier while you're starting to step out of the closet. Get a hair cut. Since you still have to pass as female, pixie cuts are a definite option. The cut may be feminine but even the shorter length alone made a huge difference for me.

You can start wearing gender neutral clothing too.

13. I'm_Danni_x

Thanks for replying peeps, the uniform at our school is the same for both girls and guys, so both of the genders wear trousers and the shops where we buy our uniform sells unisex shirts and jumpers (as our school policy doesn't have blazers). I'll have to buy unisex trousers, shoes and bags.
    I'll have to try to persuade mum to get Me a short haircut but it's not going to be too easy :'( as she thinks its my hormones but she'll understand soon.

Also- My assistant head of year saw me at break time in school and spoke to me about my issues. She was absolutely lovely and understanding. She said that it might be a hormonal thing due to my age but when I told her how I really felt she said she wasn't really experienced in trans* issues and loved to research more about it so she could help me more and I'm more than welcome to come and talk to her about anything.
    That's what I love about most of my teachers they are so tolerant and open minded, it just makes it so much easier for me.

14. anonym

anonym Guest

That's great! It sounds like you've got an ally there.

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's wonderful! I'm glad you've found someone that you can trust.

16. Minnie

Great to hear you've got a teacher on your side! :grin: I'd like to think that in the UK we're a bit more open to this stuff.