1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am i trans or is it a phase?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FunyMonkey, Jan 14, 2015.

1. FunyMonkey

FunyMonkey Guest

I have felt like im not a girl since the beginning of October 2014.
    I have gone through many genders such as demiboy/girl and agender.
    I have been a girl my whole life (tomboy)
    since about new years i have felt like im a girl, sometimes i get confused again but deep down i feel like I am a girl.
    My parents know and my friends.
    My boyfriend dumped me because he wants me to concentrate on finding a gender and not him.
    I keep hoping that it will be a phase because I want to stay as a tomboy even when i am confused.
    I have spoken to my college chaplain and she said that I might be feeling like this because of the industry i want to go into (the film industry) has more men and i might be doing this to fit in.
    Also, society shows girls to be pretty, wear make-up, love handbags etc.. and i am the opposite, i don't mind to get muddy or play video games.

also, the thought of getting testosterone and having abs does not really work for me, i want a guy who has abs but i don't think it will work on me.

Im also kind of scared about changing gender, I was happy before and i want to be happy know.

My transgender friend said that its unlikely that its a phase.
    My parents reckon it will be a phase too (they love me whoever i become).

some questions:
    - How long would it take to discover ones true gender? my trans friends said it took them about a year.
    - In some people, has being transgender been a phase to them?
    - Could i be feeling like this because of the pressures of society and the industry i want to go into?

Could you please be honest as im a bit scared about it.

2. Lazuri

Being transgender is rarely a phase. However, you don't exactly sound trans to me.

Do you want to be a man and be seen as a man by society? This is the question you need to ask yourself.

The label is also not as important as what you want If you feel happy the way you've always been then there's no need to abandon a ship that's not sinking.

I'm transgender and I want to be a woman. Every single part of it, I want it all. And I decided to transition when I realized that I was unhappy, had always been unhappy and would keep being unhappy until I did something about this. You on the other hand seem generally happy with where you are.

It's likely that you're not all the way female on the gender spectrum and closer to the grey scale, but figuring out exactly what you are is not as important as what you feel and what you want. A label is just a label and while it does make your situation easier to explain to others you ultimately don't need it.

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gende...9807-figuring-out-my-gender-identity-s.html#4

You might play a bit with hairstyle and clothing style... sweaters one or two sizes bigger, unisex or mens jeans, etc... what you feel comfortable with... there are threads on clothing for ftm...

This all is a spectrum, and its up to you where you feel comfortable.
    I'd say take your time, see how it makes you feel, and take it from there.

There is no exact time on how long it took... but you are already on the way, having given it a lot of thought...

It might be an idea to talk to someone knowledgable on tg subjects... for example to a gender therapist, or someone from an lgbt center, if that's what you want... saying you want some counseling...

You might even look for support groups, maybe in your local lgbt center...

and build some community on EC, for now you can chat with others via wall messages, after 14 days you can apply for full membership and join the chat and send private messages...
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/164130-other-trans-friends.html

Don't be scared, you're not the only one. Others have gone through this, too.
    Just ask questions, people here will support you.

If you do not want to change your body, you might have a look here:
    emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/164048-how-find-other-androgynous-people.html#6
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/163050-adrogyne-adrogynous.html

Also please be aware that transgender is an umbrella term including gender non conforming people and
    intersex people, and there is the term transsexual.

geneq.berkeley.edu/lgbt_resources_definiton_of_terms
    Transgender (sometimes shortened to trans or TG) people are those whose psychological self ("gender identity") differs from the social expectations for the physical sex they were born with.

#3 jay777, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  4. MrK21

Okay, I will present you with some questions:
    1)Does being addressed as "she" set you off?
    2)Are you uncomfortable with your junk?
    3)Are you absolutely uncomfortable saying you're female?
    4)Do you look in the mirror and think "THIS CAN'T BE ME, I AM A MAN!"?

If you said yes to any one of these questions,then, you may be trans.

Also being masculine or feminine does not determine your identity.

There are even trans women out there that are tomboys. There are trans men out there that are very feminine.

I am a feminine man, and I am perfectly fine with being seen as male. To further debunk stereotypes, I am a top, and bisexual. I am also as politically incorrect and blunt as they come. We are called individuals for a reason.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

You don't sound transgender to me, you sound like a tomboy. You said you like being a girl, so to me that definitely doesn't sound trans. It's ok to be a masculine girl.