1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to the GSA

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wren, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Wren

Hey guys, thanks for all your help so far. :slight_smile:

So I've decided recently that its about time I start coming out. I'll be 17 in a few weeks, and having just started college (junior high), I want to use the fresh start opportunity to make sure I have supportive friends who I can be honest with.

My college has a GSA that runs on Tuesdays, so tomorrow. I was thinking of going, but now that it might actually be a possibility, I'm freaking terrified. I'm not sure if I have the guts to go, and I'm scared someone I know might see me going in or be there and the word will spread to my new friends. I know I said I wanted to come out, but I want to do it in my own time when I'm sure I won't just be abandoned.

Am I just paranoid? Should I go? Is there a way of going that won't get around? What do you even do in a GSA? help meeee :frowning2:

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Wren

Thanks, that was really helpful :slight_smile: I guess all that's left is for me to try and talk myself into it. Anyone got any advice on getting over my fears?

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you an equestrian at all (being from England, that would not surprise me)? As you know, when a horse races, they have blinders put on the side of the eyes to keep them looking straight ahead. Act like a thoroughbred, keep your eyes forward, and go to the meeting!

5. I remember when I went to my first LGBT meeting in freshers week at uni. My arm was a little bit twisted by a friend, and I'm honestly not sure I would have gone without her.

It was the hardest thing i've ever done in my life, but I did it. And it was soo worth it :slight_smile:

Sometimes in life, you've just gotta do it. Good luck!

6. ChameleonSoul

My advice would be just to go for it. When I went to my first GSA meeting last month, I was shaking from anxiety by the time I got to the room where the meeting was held. It was probably the best decision I ever made. I finally had a place where I could talk to other people in the same situation I'm in and had a way to get resources from the nearby LGBT center without having to come out to my parents. Go ahead and join the GSA, you won't regret it! Good luck!

7. Wren

Hi guys, quick update. Thanks for all the support! :slight_smile:
    So...the GSA wasn't having a meeting on the day I wanted to go! They were busy selling cupcakes in one of the college buildings. what an anticlimax. But that evening, I did realise that if it was on, I would have gone, which is a big step up from how I would normally feel about that sort of thing. So, progress!!??

I'm going to try again this Tuesday, but I'm actually considering coming out to a couple of people this weekend with the courage that I didn't use, so maybe there will be some drama after all!

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wish you well (*hug*)

(&&&)