1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

came out to therapist

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SiennaFire, Jun 6, 2015.

1. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been seeing a therapist because of anxiety related to job stress. After separating from the job, the stress disappeared, so I was planning on this being my last session with the therapist.

I've been practicing my coming out script for the LGBT divorce attorney on Monday, and I knew going into today's session there was a 50/50 chance I would go for it if the moment was right.

I totally blindsided him.

This was my first coming out (other than to my bi- friends) and feels quite liberating.

2. bi2me

Congratulations!

3. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you.

It doesn't say a great deal for the therapist if he didn't have a clue, though.

4. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got a pretty good cloak :icon_wink

The chemistry was not there with this therapist (he was my first therapist, so it look me a while to figure this out), so I stayed in my straight persona and never accessed the voice of my true self. While he helped me by pointing out my "have to" self dialog, he totally missed the larger issues of putting the needs of others ahead of my own as well as my genuine sexuality, which are the underlying issues that need to be healed. This was our last session.

5. Littlesunn

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am on my 3rd therapist now. (On and off for approx 10 years). The other two I just didn't connect with or felt ok about opening up totally to them.

The one I am with now is also gay so even though it has taken me nearly 2 years of therapy with her, I finally had the courage to speak up a couple of weeks ago.

Felt quiet liberating for me too, but now I have to deal with it and not stick my head in the sand hoping the feelings I have go away. Dunno if I like that idea much!

Are you going to find another, or see how you get on?

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Littlesunn,

I've been seeing this therapist for a few months for work stress/anxiety, and he's my only experience with talk therapy. Given that I've identified the root problems and decided that coming out is the solution, I have no immediate plans to find another therapist. At this point I need someone who can help call me into action, and EC is a wonderful community for that!

I'm in a similar place. At this point I know that I'm bi-sexual with strong attraction to other guys and may even be gay. My feelings won't go away; I've been trying to convince myself that I'm straight for far too long. As painful as the process of coming out will be, I must do it and declare to others - This is who I am, this is what I need, and I'm fighting for what I value.

We'll be here if you have doubts and need encouragement (*hug*)

7. KneeDragger

Congratulations. This all gets easy with time. The more times you tell people, the easier it will get. Hopefully the responses you get will all be positive. Almost every one of mine was.

8. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My therapist knows but she told me last time I had an appointment that we should work on my tendency to put myself down and not on my sexuality. And I'm sure she's right but that's still not what I want. So I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with another appointment. But anyway I'm really glad it went well for you. It's great to be able to be who you really are.

9. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @KneeDragger and womaninamber,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and support. Next milestone for me is to come out to my wife, which will be the hardest. Meeting with LGBT divorce attorney tomorrow to understand the legal issues involved.

@womaninamber

Does your therapist specialize in LGBT issues? I'm wondering if her focus on putting yourself down is avoidance on her part or genuine therapeutic concern.

10. || Kheya ||

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations :slight_smile:

Reading coming out stories truly helps. It not only shows encouragement but also, at least for me, works as a depression therapy! Could not explain it any better.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope the situation gets lot more easier.

11. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @SiennaFire I think it is genuine therapeutic concern and I even think she has a point. But right now I'm a lot more frustrated with not knowing my sexuality than I am with my tendency to put myself down which has been around a long time and probably isn't going to go away any time soon. But she knows virtually nothing about LGBT issues so that doesn't really help. All that said I probably should still make an appointment.

Anyway I hope things go well with your wife. That does sound like a challenge but I'm glad you want to do it.

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    womaninamber,

I'm wondering if you might be better served by finding a therapist who has LGBT experience. Clearly your sexuality is your highest priority, and you deserve getting that answered with your therapist. If you current therapist doesn't address your priority, find a new one. I fired my therapist on Saturday because the chemistry and dynamics were not there.

Here's Sienna's quick test - I remember thinking that certain boys were cute as early as 6th grade. Girls not so much. What was your experience?

Best,
    Sienna

13. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think my HMO would let me have a new therapist, and especially wouldn't let me pick one who has LGBT experience. But I'm going to keep it in mind. Also if I do go back to this therapist I'm just going to tell her what I want to work on -- the psychiatrist agreed that I should.

And my early experiences are what makes me hesitant -- I did notice boys and not particularly girls, and I remember having my first crush on a guy when I was 13 and having butterflies and the whole bit. Though by the time I was 17 I was starting to wonder if I was really straight because I wanted to be with this one friend of mine. I don't remember having butterflies exactly... but I did want to be with her and felt that it wasn't the same as with other friends.

It's just rough because I keep telling myself "Hey, you had a crush on a guy and you remember that, why are you even thinking you're not straight?" even though I have reasons, especially from later on in my life. Anyway I don't mean to ramble on and on.

14. bi2me

You could very well be bi. It sounds a lot like my early experiences. If you do switch therapists, you should be able to get a list on your plan and ask to talk to them for 5 minutes to get a feel for if they have expertise in the areas you want to work on. Low self esteem can also be linked to being in the closet. You might find the issues are rooted in some of the same issues.

15. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact that you had a crush on a guy doesn't mean that you are straight. This means that you are attracted to guys. It sounds like you are also attracted to gals. I would agree with bi2me that you are probably bisexual. As you probably know, bisexuality is a continuum.

I identify as bisexual and have strong preference for other guys. My early crushes were on guys. Before I started to accept my sexuality, I felt a sense of deep longing when I saw a cute guy. Today I see the beauty in other guys. Making out with another guy has a dimension of sparks not present in my heterosexual relations. I share this because it may help clarify your sexuality, which can evolve over time.

Have you ever kissed another woman? How did that feel in comparison to kissing a guy? Do you notice guys or women more today? Answering these questions will help you figure out where in the bisexuality continuum you land.

Best of luck to you!

16. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only time I kissed a woman it wasn't good, but it was the wrong woman and the wrong situation so I think that was the main problem there.

I notice women more today. I have these celebrity crushes who are men in a certain band and I feel like I would totally go for those particular men, but meeting real men in real life I don't feel like I would date them. Then again I don't meet a lot of men and I rarely meet women I think I'd date either (though there was one just tonight so I've got that on my mind now.)

I realize you didn't necessarily intend me to answer these questions on the thread! I just felt like it. But I didn't mean to hijack your thread to talk about myself.

17. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind if you hijack this thread if it helps you come to terms with your sexuality. Besides the thread had run its course with the salient points covered.

To summarize

• So you think certain guys in bands are cute. (I do too :slight_smile:)
    • You notice women more today.
    • You met a woman yesterday you might want to date.
    Based on these data points, it sounds like you are bi-sexual and have a desire to start dating women.

Where do you see things going from here? I don't have access to your blog when I click on the hyperlink, so I don't have more to offer you.

#17 SiennaFire, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  18. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't usually post anything on my blog. I really should.

I definitely want to date women.

I think part of what's going on is that I don't want to identify as bisexual because I have all this internalized biphobia. I feel like if I were gay it would be one thing but if I'm bi I should just ignore it and not bother women, who probably aren't interested anyway.

(I'm not going to date this woman I met, she was just someone I was talking to and found very charming that I won't see again, and who may be straight. But it really hit me that yes, I do find women attractive. And there were men around at this event too and I just was not interested but that doesn't necessarily mean anything of course.)

It's just also hard feeling like I even have an orientation when I've never really been with a woman. I feel like an imposter when I got to LGBT events and it makes it really hard for me to do that. And dating sites were a total washout. I know someone can know their orientation whether they've been in a relationship or not but I feel like I don't know mine. Especially since some of my thinking is based on erotica I've reacted to and the consensus on this site and most other places seems to be that that means absolutely nothing.

19. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my own experience, I needed to have several same sex experiences before I was able to conclude that I was bisexual (and I now identify as gay). I'm wondering if you are ready to act on your same-sex attractions in order to resolve your orientation?

To cheat or not to cheat ... there's discussion in the following thread whether it's best to come out to your spouse (I'm assuming you're married) before or after extramarital exploration: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/lgbt-later-life/180253-making-eye-contact.html

There's no value judgment, you really need to do what's best in your situation. Thinking about how you feel can only prepare you for the journey. You really need the experience with another woman to help orient your internal compass and discover your worth to other bisexual/lesbian women.

We're here for you.

Best of luck!

#19 SiennaFire, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  20. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm actually divorced and completely unattached so in that respect I'm in a really fortunate position.

The unfortunate part is that it seems really unlikely that I'm going to find a woman I want to be with. I don't think I could do a casual hookup (and I don't know that anyone would do it with me considering my attractiveness level) and I can't seem to meet anyone for dates, especially when I don't know my orientation.

So in that respect it's a mess, and sometimes I feel I will never be with a woman and never know what it would have been like and that just really gets me down terribly.

I've been thinking I'm not straight for such a long time, if I haven't been able to act on it in all these years maybe it's time I just gave up.

Sorry to sound whiny. I'm just really tired right now and I was going to go to a pride event tomorrow that it looks like I'm not going to be able to go to and I'm just not in an optimistic frame of mind.