1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeping Habits

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by prussianblue100, Jul 10, 2014.

1. prussianblue100

So, it's summer break. I know it's not necessarily healthy for a girl my age to stay up so late, but usually I stay up until around 2:00 and wake up around 11:00 or 12:00. What can I say? I've always been a night person. The only problem with this is that school starts back up again on August 13, just four days after my fourteenth birthday. I have to be going to bed by 10:00 (at the latest). I also have to be up by 6:00 or so to give me time to get ready (with some extra free time), then I have to be out the door by around 7:00.

I'm trying to reduce my bedtime by ten minutes every night so that by the time I get back to school, I'll hopefully reach my goal. However, I have been procrastinating a little bit as I wanted to go to bed last night by 1:30, but got distracted by this laptop and Family Guy, so I ended up going to bed by 2:00. Plus, my sister was up reading fanfiction so I had to stay up fifteen minutes later for that. So, last night I was in bed by about 2:15.

I know there will be some problems such as having the urge to stay up late like everyone else and sleeping alone. Call me childish, but I've been sleeping in the same bed as my sis since forever and I like cuddling with her. I have told her about my plans and she does not like the idea of going to bed so early. I've looked up answers about this on Yahoo from people who have had similar problems and some person said, "Know the white light will protect you." (Advice a medium gave them. I know it sounds weird.) I'm not so sure that will work for me though.

I've read on articles a night routine which consists of: Turn off electronic devices one hour before bed, take a shower, get some milk or non caffeinated tea, read a book (preferably with a night light), get into pajamas, then hop into bed. I take showers once every two days, so I might skip the shower on some nights. I also have this habit of absolutely having to brush my teeth every night so I may substitute the milk for water, but this sounds like an okay routine.

What are your thoughts on this? What are some methods that you have tried and worked for you in going to sleep earlier? Thanks in advance for your advice. :slight_smile:

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I literally made my mom sleep with me because I was afraid of the damn dark until I was ten or something. You aren't childish. It's okay. Haha.

Here's a thread I made recently, with a lot of people giving advice:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/physical-sexual-health/144074-how-fall-asleep-easier.html

I fell asleep at around 21:00 yesterday, maybe a little towards 22:00, but either way, I managed to sleep easier. I woke up at 6:00 this morning and felt pretty good and energized.

My problem? Probably my pillow and my blankets. It's hot as hell here, so if it's sweltering where you live, try getting rid of a few blankets, turning on your fan, and then switching your pillow for a more comfortable one.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always told myself that I'd attempt what you're doing when it comes round to school time, but I (like most teens) rarely followed through.
    Honestly, if you want to be super serious about it, involve your parents, but that kinda takes the fun and pride out of it.

My advice is that you just wait.
    You HAVE to wake up at 6:00, no matter how late you go to bed.
    After a day or two of that, your body will force you to go to sleep at a decent time. :wink:
    When I don't have to wake up for work, I'm a night owl too. But now I have work at 7am, and my body literally is done at about midnight every night, even on weekends.

It'll sort itself out if you don't.
    That's just my two cents. Like I said, you can be strict about it, but most people aren't.

4. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find that if I turn off anything with a screen and if you read a book or listen to soothing music will help me sleep. Also, there’s some natural herbs/ drinks that will help you sleep and our 100% natural.

5. prussianblue100

Ugh. I know the feeling. Before I got a fan, it was getting hot in my room too. My mom recently ordered a fan, so now it's much cooler in here. My pajamas are also literally a short-sleeved shirt and underwear. So, it's pretty cool in my room. I'll try switching out a pillow, sometimes it feels a little uncomfortable under my head. And I'll check out the advice other people gave you. :slight_smile:

My parents are divorced and my dad lives in a different city (Lawrence, KS) but I'll talk to my mom about it. I think she'll do a good job of reminding me to go to sleep earlier. My sister also gave the same advice you did, but the last thing I wanna do is get up at six on my first day and tired throughout the whole thing. The first day is gonna be a day where the freshemen take a tour of the school and mingle and stuff, so I'm gonna have to be pretty awake. I wasn't strict about it last year, but I will try to be this time.

Alright. I'll start trying that. What kind of drinks do you recommend for sleep? We have some tea (cinnamon and lemon flavored), but I'm not sure if there's caffeine in them or not.

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Random remark, but I drank mint tea with caffeine in it and I sort of got drowsy afterwards. LOL.

Then again, it was also on a night where I had to toss for three hours, so I can't say I recommend it.

Try checking on the box to see if it's caffeine free or not.

7. Yosia

I wish my brother was like your sister, i love cuddling ^.^

I dont really have any routine, get into pajamas, drink milk and fall to sleep lol.

8. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any decaffeinated tea will do, but if you want go buy a drink.

There’s Neuro: Sweet Dreams.

neuro - Sleep

#8 Cap’nSerious, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  9. LD579

I think you're fine, haha. I used to go to bed at 3 or 5 AM and then wake up at... 4 PM? When school started, my sleeping patterns just happened to fix itself relatively easily.

A week or a few days before school starts, you might want to just try tweaking things around. Go to sleep early and get things to simmer down earlier, even if it means lying in bed awake for an hour or two. Or stay up later than usual if that means your sleep schedule will be more aligned, and so on.

10. prussianblue100

I thought I should leave an update. I've been going to bed around 30 minutes earlier every week and I've been doing great. I've been going to bed at 12:30 PM (will turn it to midnight tonight) and I wake up 8-10 AM. I'm a little sleepy in the morning, but since I was strict about it I've been going to bed so much earlier. My sis also came around and went to bed earlier with me, so that's a plus side too. I'm just glad I actually have time to eat breakfast in the morning now. But, I'll leave replies to other answers too.

*hits myself* Why didn't I think of that?

Guess I'm lucky. You can try hugging a pillow or something. My sis was on a school trip during last Spring Break and I missed her so much, that's what I did in bed for the whole week.

This may sound like a childish answer, but my mom is kinda cheap and won't let me buy a lot of stuff. Thanks anyway.

Yep. That's what I did. I'm just a couple of hours from reaching my goal of ten. Except I started tweaking things early in the month. And it doesn't matter how much I want to stay awake/pull an all-nighter. By 4 AM, I'm dead. Well, you know I'm so asleep it sort of looks like I'm dead. So, I'm not sure how you managed to stay up so late. Oh well.

11. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I drank that once, I was up until 3/4 studying every night for my college exit exams (9 hours of testing in 3 day 8 written, 1 oral, aka pure hell) and I fell asleep at 10PM and woke up at 12AM for some reason and I started crying because I thought I slept through my exams that started at 8:45AM.