1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cramps while running

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Music Heals, May 14, 2013.

1. Music Heals

Hi everyone,

So I've been doing a running program these past few weeks/months, (the C25K. Does anyone else use it? I love it!) and I'm even signed up to run a 5K soon! However, nearly every time I run longer than seven or eight minutes, I get really bad cramps on my sides, right underneath my rib cage. I've tried tons of different things, such as walking for a bit, taking a break, drinking some water, keeping on running, eating before I start, not eating before I start, stretching really well, etc etc.

Does anyone else get cramps while running, or know how to prevent them? I've noticed if I apply really hard pressure the pain goes away, i.e. shoving my fingers into the area that hurts.

Thanks!

2. TheMrNickster

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Try eating bananas and also when you get those kinds of cramps try putting your elbow above your head to stretch that area :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Candace

Do what Nickster said and drink water when you go.

4. TraceElement

Do you do a warm up and stretch before you run? Make sure you are hydrated and war properly fitted shoes designed for running or cross training.

5. Chrissouth53

Side and stomach cramps are usually caused by shallow breathing (although low sodium, potassium or calcium may also cause them so make sure you eat something 30-60 minutes before running. My favorite is a peanut butter sandwich).

Shallow breathing is caused by sudden exertion, especially if you are just starting out. Make sure you take deep breaths while running. Sometimes you need to concentrate on that more than the running itself. I think this will help.

I used the C25K program to come back from an injury and liked it a lot. Did a 5K Sunday and looking forward to getting back to 10K's.

6. KaraBulut

7. Music Heals

Thank you so much everyone!

To those who asked, yes, I do a thorough warm up and I stretch well before I start.

I will try breathing better next time I go running then, which I think is tomorrow. Thank you Chris and Kara!