1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kingdom Hearts

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kor, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Have you guys played any of them?

I'm a big fan of KH and KH2, and I'm patiently waiting until KH3 gets released so I have an excuse to get a PS4.

But I've always been curious about the handheld games, like chain of memories, 358/2, etc. Are they any good? Lately I've been thinking of stealing my roommate's DS and doing some catch up.

#1 Kor, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. Hiems

I played the GBA version of Chain of Memories, KH and KH2 on PS2.

Chain of Memories is different from KH and KH2 because rather than being hack and slash like KH/KH2 in a 3D setting, CoM is more indicative of the Final Fantasy series. You engage in battle by hitting an enemy in a map, which contain multiple rooms. Then you use a deck of cards as a means of attacking; the cards can be different key blades, summons, magic spells, etc. Cards can be collected from battle. You can perform combos and spells. Despite not resembling the PS2 games' gameplay in principle, CoM was still enjoyable for me.

I don't think my explanation is sufficient enough... I would watch a video on YouTube to get a better glimpse of Chain of Memories. You could check out the PS2 version if you don't have a GBA.

3. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ah, thank you! I didn't realize there was a PS2 version. I'll have to get on that.

I've enjoyed every Final Fantasy game I've played so it sounds right up my alley. The gameplay seems real time too, for some reason I was always under the impression that it was turn based.

4. Wells

Wells Guest

I love KH. The handhelds are quite crucial parts of the story, sans coded. But they are still good to play

5. Oxelotl

Kingdom Hearts is probably my favourite (or used to be my favourite, but stilll definitely top 3) favourite series. I've loved and played all the console games repeatedly.

And about the handheld. You need to play them. They are fairly fun (probs just as fun as the console ones), but more importantly, you definitely need to play Birth By Sleep, 358/2 Days, and ESPECIALLY 3D, as all these games tie into Kingdom hearts 3 (especially 3D, and can I recommend you play BBS and 358/2 before 3D. But you must play them for story purposes). If you have a ps3, then in a couple months the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix (long name) is coming out.

Basically it's a HD Version of Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix (so the normal Kingdom hearts with extra features) Kingdom Hearts Re:Chains of Memories (so the console version of Chains of memories) and 358/2 days movie featurette (Basically it's all the cutscenes, and more, of Kingdom hearts 358/2 days, basically explaining the story over 3 hours. So you could watch that if you didn't want to play the game).

Boy I rambled on didn't I. Point is I love the series, and the handheld games are also pretty damn fun.

6. Stripe101

Did you know that one of the oldest threads in this section was about Kingdom Hearts? Just thought I'd share that.

As for me, I played the first one but I gave up at Ursula. I own the second one as well, but I've never played it.

7. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sure enough!

And now I'm regretting not getting a PS3 back in the day. I'll probably have to wait to grab the re-releases on PS4. In the meantime I'll definitely check out BBS and 358/2. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately I'm not sure you'll be able to. It is still possible, but at the moment there's nothing to indicate 1.5 will be released for the PS4. KH 2.5 maybe given the PS4 will be released whenever 2.5 comes out, but 1.5 not as far as we know. Hopefully it'll get released though.

9. KingdomKeyDK

I am the prophet of all things Kingdom Hearts. The handheld games are pretty sweet, and they also have a lot of importance. The first handheld for KH was Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. This is about the same game as Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories on the PS2. It tells about the Organization XIII, which is not mentioned in the first game. They seek a power in a place called Castle Oblivion. However, one member leads a rebellion against the Organization: Marluxia. Him and a few other members planned on using Sora to find the ultimate power in Castle Oblivion. Sora was able to defeat the members however, and he found a girl named Namine, a girl that stole Soras memories during his plight. She put him to sleep in a pod so that she could restore his memories by taking away the memories of Castle Oblivion. That was the transition into KH 358/2 days.

This one is about Roxas' adventures while he was a member of the Organization. Along with Axel, he was friends with an unknown member of the Organization: Number XIV, Xion. Xion was a puppet created by Xemnas to take Roxas' powers so that he wouldn't have to deal with Roxas. However, Xion was defeated. She lives somewhere in Sora's memories now.

Now Birth By Sleep. This is a story about three friends who are torn apart by their destinies. Terra, Aqua, and Ventus were all friends and trainees of the Keyblade. But when Terra falls for Xehanort's plots, he is turned into a vessel of darkness. Xehanort was the person that Ansem and Xemnas came from. Ventus however was very important to Xehanort. He was devoid of darkness, but his darkness lived in his other half: Vanitas. Together, they were to form a keyblade above all others: the X-blade (Keyblade). However, to stop its creation, Ventus destroyed Vanitas, his others half of his heart, to save Terra and Aqua. Aqua was a Keyblade master appointed by Eraqus, a mentor of the three friends. He unfortunately was killed accidentally by Terra, who was becoming a slave of darkness. Terra was taken over by Xehanort's dark heart, and so Aqua had to battle with him. She was able to defeat Xehanort, but Terra was going to be absorbed by darkness. To save him, Aqua replaced herself with Terra. Now she waits in the realm of darkness.

On to Re: Coded. This handheld was about how Jiminys journal was found with a message that wasn't there before. To figure out the problem, they created a data Sora to find out what was wrong with the journal. However, this Data Sora was able to wield a real keyblade, and so with this real keyblade, he was able to destroy all of the bugs that were present in the journal. He was also able to find out that Sora was going to awaken many of his friends: Terra, Aqua, and Ventus. This game wasn't really crucial to the story, but it was a filler for the message that Sora receives in KH2.

On to the most recent one: Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. This story is about how Sora and Riku have to complete a Mark of Mastery exam, which allows them to become true Keyblade Masters. In the plot, young Xehanort, a boy who once lived on Destiny Islands, was sent into the future by older Xehanort, or his heart at least. Throughout the story, both Sora and Riku have to unlock seven sleeping keyholes. Riku however, was in Soras dreams somehow. Soras heart was swallowed by the deepest darkness, just like Ventus. The only person who could save him was Riku. Riku was able to find Sora once again and save him. Also, an important point, many of the Organization members are brought back. Axel, Xigbar, Lexaeus, Vexen, Zexion, and Xaldin are brought back. Axel is finally able to now wield a keyblade. Now the story continues with KH3, which should conclude the fight against Xehanort. How was THAT for some information?

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You make me chuckle awesomedude because if anyone is a prophet it'd be me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. KingdomKeyDK

Do I take that as a challenge?

12. Kor

Kor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Noooo! I was hoping the PS4 would be backwards compatible, at least a little bit.
    Agh. Well that's unfortunate.
    I'll figure something out, maybe fire up an emulator for a few of them then borrow my friend's PS3 once 1.5 comes out.

And holy wow awesomedude :eek:, thanks for all the info! Prophetic indeed. That really does fill in a lot of gaps between the first and second console games. The cinematics before and after II make a lot more sense now as well.

I think I'll make it my mission today to get one of these started.

13. KingdomKeyDK

You're so welcome. When it comes to Kingdom Hearts, talk to me about it. I'll give you good advice. :grin:

14. Oxelotl

I always thought of myself as the prophet. Can I join that challenge as well? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure the more the merrier :slight_smile: And yeah unfortunately PS4 will not be backwards compatible just as the PS3 was only backwards compatible for PS1 games. So I dunno, maybe the PS4 will allow you to play PS2? lol

16. KingdomKeyDK

If that's the case, I can play my PS2 KH games on the PS4. Happiness. However, do you guys think Sora is going to find Ventus? In the preview for KH3, Sora finds Eraqus' keyblade, the one that Aqua used to lock Ventus in Castle Oblivion. So what does that mean?

17. Oxelotl

SPOILERS if you hven't played BBS
    Well bit hard to tell considering....y'know...it isn't out yet. I for the life of me can't figure out why he'd find Eraqus' keyblade on the Destiny Islands, unless (and I literally thought this theory just then) the destiny islands, for some reason (possibly to do with the amount of light on the island, sora riku, especially kairi) perhaps Destiny Islands is a parallell to the dark meridian in the RoD, where Aqua is currently presiding. But that's all I can think of. However I think he will find ventus, after he rescues Aqua (as she's the only oneo who can find him in the castle). And plus (and this is a big guess here) he might need Ventus to then rescue Roxas (due to Roxas' heart being Ventus'). But this is all guessing here.

18. KingdomKeyDK

Oh boy I can't wait to see Roxas again! He's my favorite. And with Ventus' heart, who might unlock it? Aqua could do it, but Riku has that ability now too. And Sora didn't pass the Mark of Mastery exam... What about Terra? The only thing left of Terra is his Lingering Will. Will his body come back?

19. Oxelotl

Roxas is one of my favourite (I guessed he was yours...somehow. Not from your avatar...at all)

And true. Plus at the end of 3D,, you saw that brief two second clip, after the final boss in
    SPOILER

SOra's Heart, with Ventus' Lingering Will defending it

That his hand moved...I'm guessing that meant the path to his heart was unlocked or something. And terra. Anda gain guessing. I'm guessing his body (Terranort) is part of Master Xehanort's reformed organization (through some form of time travel) and so to save his body you have to defeat him, then bring the armor to him or something like that. Well this is fun conjecture.

20. KingdomKeyDK

KH3 needs to come out now.