1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone interested in a "tabletop" RPG?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tetraquark, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Would you be interested in playing a "tabletop" RPG on EC?

1. Yes, and I have experience as a GM

3.4%
  2. Yes, and I have played before

37.9%
  3. Yes, and it would be my first time

37.9%
  4. Not my kind of thing

20.7%
  1. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I've been curious to try a tabletop RPG (like Dungeons & Dragons) for a while now, but I haven't had much luck finding people in my community to play with. I was wondering if there are other people who would be interested in trying a game here on the forums (in the Fun and Games section). Another forum I used to frequent usually had several going on, so I know it can be done.

Anyone interested? It would be especially nice if we could get some people with experience.

2. BornInTexas

I've never tried it, but there was a tournament for a game similar to dungeons & dragons. I thought about entering, but no one would want me on their team, me being a first timer. xD

Sure would be interesting. Go for it.

3. Just Jess

I'd be down for some play-by-post

4. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I run OD&D White Box and Rifts

5. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I'd be interested in trying a tabletop RPG on here. I actually been looking to play something like D'n'D recently so I would be up for it.

6. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I meant to say that I don't have the time to fit in another game, but I'd be glad to see something happen here, and if advice is needed then I'm willing to help.

7. BudderMC

Just as a disclaimer, even though I know this idea isn't fleshed out yet, please be wary of not breaking the offsite contact rule (as with any other rules).

Besides that, it sounds interesting, and I may be interested in it as well depending on the commitment.

8. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Not to worry. No offsite contact was planned. I'll also be sure to review the site rules, to be on the safe side.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a good GM, but I've been on the other side of the screen a lot. I have experience in Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, Pathfinder, Fate (no, not FATAL), and White Wolf systems. I'd be happy for some play by post, although I've never done that before; always face-to-face.

Fantasy games are my favorite.

Love you, Tetra.

10. jargon

I've played D&D a bit in my day, never over a forum though. I'm curious how that would work?

11. kem

kem

My friends and I are planning on playing DND sometime. I borrowed the core rulebooks for the 2000 edition of DnD and I already designed my PC :grin: I haven't played it before though.

If this works out I'm in!

#11 kem, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  12. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

People with experience: what system(s) would you recommend?

It would probably be best to pick a free one so that everyone can access the rules. I was looking into either Dark Dungeons or Basic Fantasy, which are both pretty similar to DnD. Right now I'm leaning toward the latter because it feels a bit more beginner-friendly.

Thanks!

13. Yamato

I have played DnD 3.5 before but never on a forum, only face to face. I might join in if it works. :slight_smile:

14. Just Jess

15. SecretSheik

Out Status:
    A few people
    What I played in terms of D&D is pretty minimal but I think it does sound like fun. I love a good story all around, and I did play a board game called Hero Quest which is kind of like D&D but not exactly I guess. ^^;; Math is not my favorite subject but if I can manage in someway I think there will be a method to the madness for me to get around and play.

But I do have a question, if and when this DOES happen....how ARE we gonna do it exactly? I know a few people have voiced their concerns and the same goes for me as well. What do we do?

16. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I've been researching it a bit on another forum (don't know if I can link there or not, since I am a member there, even though I never post) which has a very active games section.

It looks like using a tabletop system "out-of-the-box" won't work, but I think it's possible to create a system based on one. One option is Roll to Dodge. The format is pretty straightforward -- you post your action, then the GM rolls a dice to determine the degree to which you are successful. So it would look something like that. Also, not everyone needs to be in a party. There could be ten people doing ten different things, which might be nice if not all can be on at the same time. Then, if some subset wanted to, say, dive into a dungeon together, they could work out a time when all of them, plus the GM, are on. This could be decided in a separate, out-of-character thread.

The Basic Fantasy site has an anthology of adventures for low-leveled characters. We could try a few short games based on those to help work out the flow of things before diving into an extended campaign. Since it was my idea to begin with, I'll probably GM unless someone else really wants to, so I've been reading through the Basic Fantasy rulebook to get a feel for things.

One question for those interested in participating: how much time do you think you can spend on this per day? I know I won't have that much during the week. Right now I'm thinking one real-world week = one game day, but that might be too slow.

17. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to Play D&D with my buddies, man those things are time consuming. Fun as hell though. Frankly, I'm not the best role player, but I'm fairly experienced. Never got to be DM though :tears:

18. Is this the Ashens/Guru Larry thing?

19. Just Jess

No, I had to google that to find out what it was. Glad I did though :lol: