1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please share your experience with Internet Dating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Damien, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone,

my desire to explore the gay side of my nature, is overcoming both my inhibition and my inertia. I think I ought to sign up to some kind of online dating service, to see if I can meet a guy who is compatible in some way, because as we all know 'gay venues' (nightclubs, bars etc) are not really good places for that, not to mention the fact that I just did a search and heaps of them seem to have recently shut down in my city. If anyone has actually had success in finding either friendship or even more via Internet Dating, or if they have any other advice regarding it, could they please share it here? Thank you

#1 Damien, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I found there free to join but then you have to pay to reply to a message. They call it an upgrade.

3. wanderinggirl

I met my ex-gf through online dating and actually made some friends through it as well! But then I also met some meh people. It takes a lot of patience and time and I don't have either right now so I stopped, but I'm sure I'll do it again in the future.

4. Candace

I've dated some people off of a site called *******. It was okay in the beginning, but it really made me feel like I was shallow and only going out with people based on their looks. So, I stopped using it.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

From another thread, on this topic.

I'll admit, in my younger days, I'd make two accounts with the same information, with some appropriated tweaks, on a few sites. Only, one would be with a very plain-looking fellow, and the other would be a very cookie cutter cutie. With the former, I'd have the profile all informative and literate, while the the latter, it'd have typos and cursing all down the page.

I don't recommend this. I was young, kind of dumb, and bored.

Still, I learned three things from these experiments:

One, an unhealthy number of the people only look at the profile picture, before messaging.

Two, nearly the same number as the first bit, didn't have a problem with someone who had "i dnt lyk 2 read" or "shool iz dmb", if they were attractive. However, in the very plain-looking fellow's case, it was stupid or even sad if they had "I don't like to read" or "school is dumb". From the SAME pool of people!

Thirdly, I learned, most people only want hook-ups. Either buy them a meal, or hit the sheets for a bit, possibly both. But interestingly, the more illiterate and insulting I was with cookie cutter cutie, the more determined most (not all; some, actually, knew better and stopped) became. Compare to the very plain-looking fellow, who got little to no responses, unless he was talking about money.

I don't know if I could make a serious online dating profile. It seems rather discouraging, really.

7. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    have to say ones I have visited people are more concerned about onenight stands or just full of fake profiles but maybe I looking in the places .

8. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met my ex-girlfriend online, and she turned out to be an absolute creep! She was needy, possessive, jealous, abusive... Not a good experience

9. tulipinacup

It's interesting though. I didn't meet my ex-bf on a dating site but to a random chat. I actually met friends there and have been using it since 2008.

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

ruined my little remaining self-esteem, would recommend for cooler and attractive people tho

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Terrible , all the girls ever do on there is just visit, my page and don't say anything I got fed up and just don't bother with the site anymore .

12. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The most humiliating experience ever. The only poeple who replied despite being very clear on what I wanted were people who viewed me as a fetish object. Not one genuinely interested person at all. Lots of snarky comments about my appearance, lots of being ignored.

13. mangotree

I've used online dating sites on and off for the last 14 years.

Relationships - only one success.
    Short term dating (not resulting in a relationships) - probably about 5 or 6 successes - very high intensity.
    Friends - met 3 of my best friends online.
    Acquaintances - several that I run into from time to time and have a good chat.
    Dozens of mediocre one night stands

My biggest tips are to always meet in public and don't go home with someone you don't trust.
    Get comfortable with saying "No".

Peace! (*hug*)

14. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well that would explain a lot. I'm finding the one I've just joined does not allow me to do half the things others seem to be able to do.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:31 PM ----------

Thanks for the advice and warning, but I don't see I have any choice but to resort to this.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:34 PM ----------

The one I've found seems to have some interesting folks on it, in fact many don't even have a profile pic, just avatars...then again, that could also be an issue, too. But as I said earlier I suspect I will need to actually pay some money to get to know them at all.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:35 PM ----------

Thank you, I will check it out. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:38 PM ----------

Well thank you but your post makes me once again consider 'option number three': get back into Buddhist meditation with the aim of transcending desire completely, so that I won't even have to worry about my sexual needs. But I'm not sure I want to, or even wish to, go down that road again.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:41 PM ----------

I'm being totally honest and open (yet safe) there with my info, and must assume there would have to be some others who would be, as well.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:42 PM ----------

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience...hope I don't end up getting the same.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:43 PM ----------

Thanks for a positive comment about it, it encourages me somewhat.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:46 PM ----------

I'm neither cool nor regarded as attractive, not in the conventional sense, although I think there is always someone out there who will find us cute as. Which includes you as well. :slight_smile: But thanks for the due warning, because my self-esteem has taken a bettering for much of my life. Maybe I'm getting more immune to it.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:48 PM ----------

But I don't know what else to do...

My ideal scenario would be to magically meet up with a guy while doing something else. Visiting the art gallery, hearing some live music, walking through the Botanical Gardens to look at the flowering trees...but how realistic is my ideal scenario? :icon_sad:

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:50 PM ----------

Pity to hear that, and don't let anyone make you feel bad about yourself. They didn't deserve you anyway, look at it that way. But I do feel sorry to hear that.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:52 PM ----------

Oh, exactly my sentiments. I will be meeting guys at a coffee house, not at their house. Until I get to know them better.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:57 PM ----------

Anyway, thank you everyone for your replies. I've decided that dating or not, I am going to get back into meditation again anyway. I think I need to at least cool my desire a bit, because it's pretty hard to bear at present. Nothing wrong with calming the mind a bit. And maybe making some good karma by meditating, will improve my chances of actually meeting someone special, too. Anything is worth a try here. Maybe during meditation I will take some time to astrally send out a message to my future beloved, that I am waiting for them, that I will love them truly. Or just pray. Hmph I'll try pretty much anything.

15. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Reading all the above, I appreciate how much more difficult it must be for those who are only same-sex attracted, in other words not Bi. I still have another 'option', to just give up on the idea of meeting a guy, and just date women instead. There is certainly much more in society to make this easy, than meeting a gay friend or lover. I feel a bit sad though, because I'm not totally sure about my sexuality at present. I really don't know if I'm bi or gay. I guess I will find out pretty soon. If I date a woman, I will find out as well. But I feel for you all who can only be attracted to the same sex, because you don't have that option. It must be very difficult. :icon_sad: Then again, if it turns out that I'm gay after all, I will be joining you in this situation. I guess I will find out at some stage soon, because I'm a highly sexed person who has not had sex for years, and I suspect it is contributing to my depression. I can recall how much better I felt back when I used to have sexual experiences. Made me feel truly alive. I think it's just been too darn long between drinks, so to speak, and I just need to feel that closeness of sexual intimacy again. I would prefer this to be with a guy, but it's not looking good for that, is it? :icon_sad:

16. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

My previous experience in a nutshell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOAmRxvPXLE

17. mangotree

If you're experienced in meditation, perhaps look at guided hypnosis audio as well.
    The hypnosis state is very similar to the meditation state.
    It's a good way to learn about yourself.
    Audible has some pretty amazing ones on there.
    They have just about every subject you can think of - from raising your libido to getting over a fear of flying.

Just something to think about.

18. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There are a few approaches that worked, of course with different results, for some people.
    One is to do online dating with a concept: a short list of realistic preferences, a personal and thought out profile, getting active oneself and being willing to filter a lot of candidates.
    One should not believe all that is told... on another thread was an example of a 15 yr old photo...
    And saying no if there is a bad feeling connected... and saying no in general.
    Details with howtos, especially concerning safety, can be looked up.
    Remember to always stay safe, don't give personal information, meet in a public place etc...

A further approach is doing things we like, combined with getting in contact with people.

I have known people who have met through community courses, sports clubs, food tasting courses, cooking courses, etc..
    Of course here, too, it might be necessary to say no if required...
    Often its possible to ask what people attend the courses, what age they are, where the courses are, what teachers etc...

Please do not let a few jerks keep you from exploring.
    From your posts you are a nice and thoughtful person.
    You will find someone in time.
    (*hug*)

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    @Damien I feel the same way

20. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is it a fantastic thing for the LGBT community (in particular). Yes because its not easy to meet a man/or a woman.

But it makes me feel uncomfortable meeting somebody not necessarily online, but a dating website/app.

One springs to mind where male (....) types can meet fellow (....) types for some casual sex. The problem is have of them are closeted cases who are clearly not straight but reckon they are. The moment you ask them which way they go, they get quite...unhappy.

Then we have ******. Every gay I know is on it, but it must be the main reason of STDs with all the casual hook up it encourages. You get some proper odd sorts, too

And worst. The (almost always) men who use fake pictures and are only interested in your dick. And your appearance.

You are ultimately unlikely to meet anybody for anything other than hook up, literally nobody I know has had a successful long term, worthwhile relationship from date sites

This forum is interesting. It (rightly so) allows people to be themselves, but that leads to me thinking their guys on here who I think sound really nice and proper relationship material. But obviously that's not allowed for our own safety. Just wish I could find fellow normal people in person

#20 chrisyboy, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014