1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay and Republican?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by CandyRayne, Oct 12, 2012.

1. CandyRayne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't want to offend anyone but it seems almost idiotic that a member of the LGBT community would actually vote Republican?
    I just don't get it.
    Would anyone care to share their wisdom or opinion?
    I mean, I can understand the economic part, but is there any other rational reason?:help:

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It would be more rational if the party were dominated by level-headed fiscal conservatives who focused maintaining the economic and political side of conservatism, instead of the fundamentalist lunatics who take ridiculous stances on social issues that seem to make up the party today. I'm not saying the other party is any better, just that the Republican party right now is in pretty poor shape. Even if someone is fiscally conservative, the way I see it, supporting the current Republican party is akin to saying, "I care more about my wallet than about the basic human rights of minorities and other oppressed groups."

3. Jared

I consider myself a rather conservative person, especially fiscally, but I hate the Republican Party with a passion. These days they seem to be more focused on "traditional family values" and damning the poor and other extreme social issue stances than anything else. Even though I generally agree with their fiscal policies, I would never vote for a Republican with the party in its curren state, like Owen said it would be like choosing your wallet over your rights and the rights of other minorities. Go Obama! I don't particularly like him, but he is by far the better candidate.

4. Emberstone

Fiscal conservative=
    [​IMG]

5. DMark69

I am conservative on most issues, and have voted republican in most of the past elections. Having said that I actually make a list of all of the issues I find important to me, 22 of them this year, arrange them in order of importance and rate each candidate on each issue. This year if it were just Romney v Obama, I would have had to hold my nose and vote Romney base on that spreadsheet. Gary Johnson, however, scored much better than Romney, and even is 100% for same sex marriage.

I cast my vote already almost 2 weeks ago when my state, Wyoming, started early voting, and Gary Johnson got my vote.

6. J Snow

I was extremely conservative growing up because my mother was and is. However, eventually common sense took over and I started making my decisions based upon facts and logic as opposed to because "democrats are corrupted by the devil."

7. Robin

I'm a fiscal conservative and a social democrat. I'll have to weigh which side of my politics is most vital to me and the rest of the USA when I can vote.

8. TheUndiscovered

If I were old enough to vote I would vote for Romney because Obama hasn't done anything for our country and is running it into the ground

9. castle walls

10. Emberstone

log cabin republicans are gay...

GOProud are homophobic gays.

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2012 at 03:15 PM ----------

other than reverse the economic collpase that was set in motion by the same policies Romney wants to enact, over 5 million jobs created in four years compaired to 1.9million creating in 8 years by bush, taking out more terrorist in four years than the whole 8 years of bush, repeal of DADT, the lilly ledbetter fair pay act, taking the stock market from 6.6k points to close to 14k points, saving the auto industry upon which a sizeable chunk of our manfacturing industry is dependent upon, restoring the worlds trust and respect for America, working to insure that every american has the right to buy health insurance regardless of previous conditions, AND NEVER ONCE INFRINGED UPON GUN RIGHTS!

Obama has done a heck of alot for this country, and unlike the republican parties policies, obama has been able to break through the republican parties refusal to do anything but filibuster all they can, and in the end, obama has created what no republican has given us in decades: upward economic growth and moblity.

Also, it should be noted that 5 trillion dollars of the 6 trillion dollars in deficit gain since obama took office are directly relatable to bush's lingering policies (unpaid for wars, unpaid for tax cuts, and unpaid for medicare part d, just to name the bigger offenders).

Bush's average increase in spending was 8.4-8.6% increase. the last figure placed the increase in spending under obama at 1.9%. He reigned in goverment after republicans bloated it and spending faster than any presidency in american history.

11. Greendalehumans

Other views. For example (and I can't actually vote, but...) I disagree with abortion (I'm not looking to debate this right now, just using as an example) so I wouldn't want to vote for someone who supports that.

Even though I am hugely supportive of gay rights. (Inside. Outside I'm a scared little closet baby.)
    So there are really a lot of things and movements and beliefs that can conflict with each other.
    I pity voters. :slight_smile:

12. TheUndiscovered

I really know little on politics I'm just really putting in my opinion and that's just what I've heard from a very republican family. I'm more of a libertarian

13. CandyRayne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the economic and political areas make sense. I guess what I was really asking was why anyone would actually support a party which aims to oppress so many minorities all in the name of "saving America". It seems self contradictory that someone would agree with gay marriage and be against abortion. Isn't it the same concept of "get out of my life! If you don't like it then don't do it, it doesn't affect you!"... It seems to me that, while the Democratic party promotes social equality, the Republicans just look for minorities to pick on so that they can keep their support from ignorant Americans. I understand that Obama hasn't dropped unemployment below 6% but its really not his fault, its Congress behind everything. You cant expect one man with the Upper house against him to fix, in four years, what the Bush era created. I guess what I'm getting at is "why would you look to oppress other people in the same way in which others oppress you?" Its almost as is the bullied are joining the bully. why?

14. sguyc

Because to some people, setting gay marriage back a few years is preferable to being unemployed.

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2012 at 09:52 PM ----------

Voting for a candidate doesn't mean that you agree with the trend of the entire national party that he is affiliated with. Everyone has to bite the bullet on issues regardless of how they vote, no one can satisfy everyone's desires.

15. TheUndiscovered

Obama isn't exactly a man of his word. He's promised many things to many minorities that never happened. I'm pretty sure the other day he was dissed on a Spanish network for not keeping promises he had made to the Latin people of America. As far as I'm concerned Obama is just smart enough to realize that saying he supports minorities may be enough to get him voted back into office. The supreme court is about to rule on the whole Proposition 8 act anyway and that is going to probably be deemed unconstitutional, that will make it illegal for all countries to make a amendment defying marriage between a man and a woman. At this point it doesn't matter what the president thinks. If it turns out that the supreme court makes it constitutional then gay marriage will be no more and whomever the president is at that time still doesn't matter.

16. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wish the US had a stronger, more competent libertarian party that would be fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

17. speedracing22

I am fairly independent. I have voted both republican and democrat in the past. For me, it depends on the candidates and their points of view. I just don't vote down a party line, because in my opinion, THAT seems kind of idiotic.

Also, I really don't see why me being gay automatically makes it wrong for me to vote republican. Just because most republicans don't support gay marriage? (which by the way - there ARE republicans who do support gay marriage, just like there ARE democrats who don't)

People are soon to forget, that when Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton both ran against each other in the primary, they both said they did not support same sex marriage. I voted for Hillary Clinton in the primary despite that. Was that wrong? Or was it ok because she was not a republican? I really don't get this whole "gays can't vote republican" argument....

It was only recently that Obama came out in favor of same sex marriage, which I think is great, but this wasn't always his political position. So was everyone who voted for Obama wrong?

18. castle walls

There are many LGBT people that are pro-life. In fact, if you look earlier on this thread you'll see someone already stated that they disagree with abortion. Here is a thread where some LGBT people explain why they are pro-life
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/71486-views-abortion.html

If the Supreme Court does take up the Prop 8 case rules Prop 8 unconstitutional, that does not mean that same sex marriage will be legal in all fifty states. It would definitely help the fight though

19. Emberstone

bush promised alot of things he did not do, clinton was the same, bush Sr. was the same, reagen was the same, carter was the same, ford was the same... do you get the drift?

if your attack on a president is that they did not fulfil all their promises, you really dont have much sense of history. no president fulfils every one, especially with a weak congress that is being filibuster-raped by people who openly say their only goal as congressmembers is to destroy the president so he only gets one term. legislation is not a overnight deal, and republicans have sat on their asses, only giving a shit about pushing abortion bills, rape-redefinition bills, limited womens access to cancer screenings, and what they claim are jobs bill, but right from their implementation would destroy millions of jobs (mostly in the public sector), and structually dont address in any way private sector job creation.

however, to vote for romney is to rub your ass all over this nation, becuase all romney has proposed as the very failed policies that are at the root and cause of each of the last few economic downturns.

If the republicans had not dug their feet in, acting like 2 year olds with bad parents who never taught them how to behave, and actually tried to work with Obama and the democrats (obama always was the one to call them to the table, and republicans were the ones who demanded we do everything that collapsed the econamy, and walked away because they didnt get 100% of what they wanted).

No republican has turned an econamy around since FDR. Reagen only stabilized it by raising taxes, and yet he still corrupted the econamy in the end, and sent it into a nose-dive that only got fixed when clinton came in.

20. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Please keep in mind that we have a lot of LGBT people that will be voting republican so lets keep it civil. Consider this your last warning. Any personal attacks from this point forward will result in a thread ban :slight_smile:

As for the topic, the main thing right now is that in he US LGBT people don't have it too bad right now. As in, we have it easy enough to be able to have the privileged to choose whether we want more rights or if we are comfortable waiting for now. That's all that it comes down to. If people really felt their rights where being attacked then they wouldn't have a choice. For better or for worse we have enough rights and freedom in the US for someone to live comfortably with what they have right now.

For many people, like it was said before, its also not a single issue decision right now.