1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel lonely

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Missy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Missy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi!
    Just need to write down how I feel, get it out of my system. :icon_sad:
    I feel sad and a bit lonely. I want to connect with someone, meet up with someone that I can talk to about being bisexual. I have been on forums a couple of years for hbtq- ppl but find it hard to get in contact with women. If I send them a message they don´t answer back or they just write a couple of lines back. I have met women IRL from forums but haven´t really connected with them. I just want to meet friends that aren´t straight that I can talk to. But in general I find it hard to make friends as an adult. My closest friends know I like both men and women and they accept me for who I am, but they are straight and I want to talk with bisexual or gay ppl as well.
    Also I find it hard sometimes to accept my orientation, because inside, I am a pretty shy person and don´t want to stand out or being different.
    Anyone who feels the same here?

2. Penpal

Me too! :-(
    I have friends that know and will support me but they are straight. I think being Bi is particularly hard as you don't seem to fit in anywhere. I have a lot on my plate with the divorce so haven't done too much exploring but I do feel a bit like I'm not accepted by anyone. X

3. FindingLouie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely understand lonely. Not becomes I am shy but just the opposite. I didn't want to show people who I really was so I controlled friendships and my life to appear "normal." That is VERY lonely.

Hang in there. Keep reaching out and being authentic and truthful and you will find those real relationships that are intimate and satisfying whether it be friends or lovers. I'm doing the same now for myself.

Keep posting and writing. That always helps me.

Best wishes

4. Missy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok yes I know the feeling, sometimes it feels like you don´t fit in anywhere...
    I am a bit confused over my future. I feel fine at the moment being single, but I also want to meet THE ONE some day. Is it gonna be a male or a female? And where can I meet women like me?
    How do you feel now after your divorce? How long where you married?

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2014 at 12:54 PM ----------

Thanks for your supportive words, Finding Louie. :slight_smile: Yes it actually helps alot writing and "talking" to other ppl here in the same situation. Sometimes I go with all my feelings and thoughts inside, and that just makes you feel lonely.

5. Penpal

I have been with him for 19 years and married for 11. It's been really tough for a while and we are arguing a lot at the moment about the divorce. I'm actually quite sad at the moment. I have 2 children and am struggling when I'm on my own. I don't really want to spend time with friends although they want to with me. I would like to find one person when I'm ready but I'm not sure the trust will ever be there. My ex really hurt me and after 19 years being faithful to him and finally telling him who I am he went out and got a girlfriend.
    What's your story?

6. Missy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, sad to hear that Penpal. That´s not a very nice thing to do. Do you have any contact with him today, except when it comes to your children?
    I have only had relationships with men but I am curious how it would be with a woman.

7. Penpal

I see him to organise things for the children but that's it. I never thought I would want him out of my life for good because we were such a good match but he's horrible nowadays.
    I've never had a relationship with a woman either but I think I would like to. I am far more open to being bi now and I don't want to find myself in another relationship with a man. I need to at least know what it's like with a woman. I'm hoping it will feel right and I will feel settled. Have you got children? Been married?

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/149549-please-share-your-experience-internet-dating.html#18
    and this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anony...eresting-text.html?highlight=interesting+text
    and this ( and similar ones...):
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/lgbt-later-life/151421-redesigning-life.html#8

You might have a look at activities and meetings at the next lgbt center near you...

I'd say take your time... (*hug*)
    and if necessary you might think about a therapist, if thats what you want...

#8 jay777, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  9. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also feel lonely. You are not alone, I definitely know what it is like to want to talk to people that are a little more in sync with you. None of my close RL friends are bi or gay so I feel uncomfortable talking about certain things around them, even though I doubt they would mind. It just is hard for me, not being used to that sort of thing around people I've known for so long.

10. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Missy,

we are of course different people, but everything you wrote in your post above, I can personally relate to: the shyness, the loneliness, the wish to simply connect and hang out with lgbt folks, but the difficulty of finding some who are willing to do *just* that; and the challenge of accepting one's bisexuality. I hope it helps in some small way, that I know how you feel.... :slight_smile:
    Damien. x

#10 Damien, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  11. Missy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi!
    Thanks for all your posts, I haven´t been in here for a while. I have had so much to study and so little time for myself. No, I haven´t been married or have any kids Penpal. Marriage is not that important to me, and kids, maybe in the future.
    Damien- so you are also a bit shy like me? I struggle at school, my education is very socially demanding and I don´t like being in big groups.
    Have you ppl here had any progress in finding friends "lbgt- friends?"
    Good night

12. Nara563

Out Status:
    A few people
    Missy,
    I know the feeling. I have moved in the last 3 years and where I live now I have no friends. Some family several hours away, but what I REALLY want is female lesbian/bi FRIENDS, one's who GET where my head is at!
    I too was very shy in school don't like big groups or crowds, or bars, and out west, people don't chit-chat like back east…It's like no one wants or needs friends!
    Being older too, I just don't fit in a younger crowd, and the town I live in is pretty conservative…So yeah, it's very hard…
    I was thinking about trying to find some sort of LGBT group in the larger town several hours from me…but yeah…awkward.

13. waterfall

waterfall Guest

To quote a very wise fellow member of EC " I may rarely be alone, but I am so lonely."
    Constantly being in the company of straight people is mentally exhausting to me. I want to find other lesbian women that I can talk to and be myself, women that understand.
    I am not looking for a relationship, I am not ready to become involved with another woman. I need to feel more comfortable with who I am. I just want friends…..

14. Pete1970

I know how you feel PenPal. The very next day after i told my wife, she declared that she was going to find someone else and started dating immediately and had a "serious" boyfriend within a month. After 23 years of marriage, to just move on that quickly was really shattering. To this day she still doesnt think i should have a problem with it

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pete1970,

We both suspect your wife is simply running scared. It screams of denial to me.

Personally, i wish EC had regional or State groups, limited to adults which met in real world regularly.

Tom

16. waterfall

waterfall Guest

That would be wonderful…. wouldn't it!!! :thumbsup: