1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone experience Mixed marriages ?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Mj5963, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have been posting in few threads for couple weeks quite often as I am a married (to woman) man who recently was discovered by my wife that was having sexual trysts with men, needless to say it has caused a lot of talking and therapy as we both work on it, I first have been working with therapist on me and trying to fully understand my own sexuality before we can even attempt a real reconciliation if at all, by will say the way my wife has been treating me and how I feel about her really excites me that reconciliation is a serious possibility. That being said I have worked real hard with a therapist specializing in sex and sexuality and feel on the Kinsey scale I am in the 2-3 range bisexual if you need a label at all. That being said , my reasons for my sexual exploration with guys is complicated and I don't want to get into that here , what I am asking are there any men or woman who have a mixed marriage where one spouse preferably the woman is straight and shows zero interest in exploring with another woman and the husband is bisexual ? Several here have published me to think that I can say I am committing to monogamy but would be staying in the closet per say and I completely disagree . First she knows as so do several
    Of my friends , secondly I have plenty of platonic gay friends do and so does she and we have attended many events including pride festivals because of our friends , so don't buy that I will go back to sex with guys . My relationship with her went astray not because of sex and my interest of feconxiling is very simple , I love her , I have a blast with her, I want to grow old with her and I want to make her happy. Don't need others to judge anything about our marriage so please looking for relevant comments and appreciate them , so thanks in advNce !

2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Mj5963,

I am in a situation similar to what you describe. I am a bisexual man (Kinsey 3) married to a straight woman. We've been married 16 years and have two children, 13 and 9.

It can work. We are doing well.

When I was young, I suppressed my same-sex attractions and crushes due to religion (I used to be Catholic) and only dated girls. I didn't know if the attractions would change over time. They didn't. I'm 49 now, still here, still bi.

So I married a wonderful woman 16 years ago who has known I'm bi. For a long time, it was a secret we kept to the bedroom. She was willing to do roleplay (strapons, etc.) there to help me with my urges. In the time I've been married, she's stuck with me through thick and thin. I left the Catholic Church. Five years ago, I quit drinking and got back in shape. Lots of changes, and she's always been there for me.

We are both monogamous and have always been. So I don't have experience in non-monogamy. I'm happy with her, and still bi.

Being in the closet about who I am started dragging on me, particularly as I got the other major areas of my life in order (my health, leaving the Church I'd been raised in, etc.). We started discussing the possibility of me coming out publicly as bi. My wife had some pretty strong concerns at first. She didn't want people gossiping about our marriage, she requested that if I did come out, I include "we're monogamous and happy, and I'm not looking for anything else" to people when I did. She was worried about how her Evangelical family members in Oklahoma would take it. I wasn't worried about them, they are assholes for a million other reasons, but they're family, so I understood her concern and let her handle how to come out to them. It took a lot of talking before we both decided to do it. But once we did, she was 100% on board and behind me. She joined the Human Rights Campaign, got a supporter t-shirt to wear, and she got me some bi pride items, too. I came here to EC a year ago for help coming out, and now I'm pretty much fully out.

Being out as bi publicly has been an amazing life journey, and I have to tell you that it feels really fulfilling. I love my wife and intend to be with her forever, but you know what? I'm still bisexual.

Sorry for the long post. It can work out if you both want it to. My situation isn't exactly the same as yours, but I'm right with you on the Kinsey Scale and with a straight wife, for what it's worth.

I know for many bisexuals, monogamy is not their preferred state. I respect that. Just sharing what has worked for me. Hugs to you both!

#2 Adray, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  3. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow
    Thanks for the post and I don't mind long , your situation sounds perfect and I am more than confident that I can be monogamous with my wife all this gave me the opportunity to look at what was most important to me and it is the connection and love of my wife and has zero nothing to do with sex period . So I am happy to say I am bisexual and I am committed to my wife for rest of our life's period

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks again you just always have good timing , have zero idea how my wife will totally accept or react she is pretty conservative and very traditional but hell she already knows I have had sex with guys so that part is easy to not hide whatsoever

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    MJ

I know you don't want to continue to be questioned on why you sought sex with men outside the marriage. But, I think both you and your wife need to understand those dynamics as you build a mixed orientation marriage. MOM. The threads that Onthehighway referred you to can give an idea of some of the complications and some of the techniques. In particular there were some other outside sources referenced in those threads which make worthwhile reading for both you and your wife.

A MOM takes a lot of work and a lot of communication...as does any marriage. But, there will be an element of lingering distrust and doubt. So, levels of reassurance are really important. Minor little fights can carry the additional burden of your sexuality. I almost sometimes have to say..".I don't like the way you parked the car but I'm not leaving you for a man". More importantly, you both need to be careful that sexual intimacy is about reinforcing your love not your sexual orientation.

The way my wife and I view our relationship...and every marriage is different, is that my gay sexual needs are a side bar. In simplistic terms, it's just something I need that she is not a part of. So, what I thought would be the biggest obstacle to a MOM is not that important. What is way bigger is that there is openness and maintaining trust. It is also important to us that she recognizes, accepts and...yes...celebrates my bisexuality.

I hope this helps. Each MOM is different. The only rule I know is that open communication is required...the rest is an integration of what you both need! That said, you must really understand what your needs are. I know you are working on that now. The dynamics of your MOM will depend on what you learn of yourself.

7. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey nickw thanks a lot all that makes sense to me and I am not looking to conform to other coupes MOM as I agree all are unique . I also am not saying my wife and I end up there at all either . I am just curious how other couples deal with it . My wife and I are doing pretty amazing together now but I am reminded I betrayed her so trust is something I will have to earn . I also know what transpired over the years permitting me to even explore
    My sexuality so we can address and deal with that . I am not even 100% sure my wife can even handle or accept my bisexuality and that is a huge thing that she will have to ultimately accept or all the possible future together is in jeopardy that I know . So trust me I appreciate your post and congratulations I know it is always work and I am very very confident that my communication with my wife will be beyond transparent and I hope hers is too . Thanks again and keep writing it helps me

8. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well im not sure i understand the situation here but i do have a question. i meet a lot of guys i think are hot but they have girlfriends or wives but sometimes i sense they are flirting with me or even like me. maybe they are like you and are kinsey 2-3. if they wanted to engage in a closeted tryst with me is that something they would ever vocalize. i am not out to these guys but it would not take a brain surgeon to figure out im on the scale too since i am single and never with a girlfriend.

9. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I suppose my question was to see if any men out there remained married after disclosing their sexuality to their wives and the wife accepted it and even sometimes permitted some open arrangement . Although I am not interested in an open arrangement at all I am
    Committing everything to monogamy and to my wife

10. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    my girlfriend was accepting of my bisexual orientation but not me acting on it. i did not want to cheat and did not cheat. the curiousity was too much and i needed to explore myself ended the relationship so i could roam free and experience my gay side and what was out there in terms of a loving relationship with a guy. what i did experience were men that were constantly hopped up on the desire for what seemed to be this focus on sex. i just continued to meet the same guy in a different body. sex sex sex. didnt matter who you were or ehat you had going for you just how hot were you and if you turned them on. i did meet one guy that was relationship oriented and wasnt into random hookups but he also said it had been tough for him to find the same thing and that gay guys didnt seem to value the old fashioned approach. my advice is stay married. if you are looking for a heteronormative relationship with a gay guy its not impossible but just is going to be a long search. maybe your wife will give you a hall pass so you can get your gay rocks off here and there.

#10 r2de2baca, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
  11. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I am being so brutally honest I want to stay married i love my wife more now than ever , I strayed for several reasons of which we are working on , I have zero interest in anything other than monogamy with her , I was one of those guys it was sex and goodbye and it was getting horrible so I am so fine no interest in sex outside my marriage

12. BiBiBaybee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi Mj,
    Have you looked into a local support group in your area such as HOW? Husbands Out to Wives? There are others, but this one has been helpful to several people I know.

Here's an address to reach them, if you're interested.

[email protected]

It is not a hookup or dating site, but a screened email list.

13. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you BiBiBaybee, I reached out to the group and appreciate the lead .

14. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mj, how have things been progressing on your end?

15. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey thanks for asking doing pretty well my wife joins me tomorrow in therapy for the first time. It means a lot to me and I hope she can be open and honest too so we can work past all of this. We have been doing great and even planning trips and our future state so all feels good overall . Optimistic but cautious because my sexuality is very real and she must accept it for us to really make t work

16. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks I am in a better place now than two months ago that is for sure

18. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a journey. Two months is a very short amount of time in the overall scheme of things. Have patience with your wife at the sessions. Not only have you been on a journey of self discovery, but your forcing your wife to do the same. In the long run, it will benefit the both of you.

19. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes been six months in reality but yes patience as this is rest of our luved

---------- Post added 9th Mar 2017 at 05:50 PM ----------

Sorry meant rest of our lives

20. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am rooting for you!